Author Topic: Best stories in video games?  (Read 5513 times)

dreama1

Best stories in video games?
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:14:52 pm »
Best stories in video games?

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: Best stories in video games?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:56:58 pm »
Ace Combat 04, 5 and Zero all had great stories.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

retroone

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:26 pm »
Sonic Adventure! (jk) But Metal Gear Solids story was pretty good!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:04:18 pm »
Persona 3 has the best story of any game I've ever played.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 02:18:16 am »
Blaster Master

Okay Soera, we're done here.

Lock the thread.

;)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:23:02 am »
Definitely voting for Wild Arms and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 10:38:16 am »
Definitely voting for Wild Arms and Final Fantasy Tactics.
[/quote
Any wild arms in particular?

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:45:22 am »
FFT is great so far and I can imagine it will just keep getting better as I'm barely halfway through.

mrnikon

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »
I like the story in Xenoblade Chronicles.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 01:12:01 pm »
Pac Man; hand down  :P

seriously, though - the (1st) Disgaea (PS2) game had a great story (in a light-hearted, quirky, fun, charming, and humorous kind of way),

and for more mature/serious kinds of stories I'd list Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 (PS2); moreso the 2nd game --but-- there is a bit of carry-over + there's Koudelka (PS1) as a loosely-associated prequel to it; there's also a Shadow Hearts: (3)/From the New World (PS2) game that - while, IMO, still being fun for the SH gameplay, doesn't come close to the 1st 2 games, story-wise,

and, to top off my 'top-of-my-head' List; I'd have to say that both Vandal Hearts 1 & 2, on the PS1 are excellent.  Again, there's a 3rd VH game - that I believe is only available digitally & from PSN for the PS3 that; like SH has some fun/similar gameplay & aspects from the original 2 but can't hold a candle to them storywise, either

my 'newest' favorite story (and OST) is Tears to Tiara 2: Heir of the Overlord (PS3) which is only voiced in Japanese with English subs, though -

and - I'll close with two games that I haven't played yet (but I have them, want to play them, and will do so...eventually) that I've heard a lot of love for their stories are 999 (on the DS) and its follow-up Zero Escape (which is on both the Vita +, iirc, PSTV compatible (my own personal, definite preference & way I'll be playing it:) *but* if you don't have a Vita...it's also available for the 3-DS.

*almost forgot* to mention: Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2) which, is surprisingly, a far better story than the usual stories that come with dungeon-crawlers,

and there's always Xenosaga (3 games on the PS2) - if you're into epic (loooong) stories with most exposition coming from FMV's / cut-scenes...that'll keep ya' busy for awhile  ;)

Happy Trails  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:23:30 pm »
Im surprised nobody has said The Last of Us, great sad story same goes for Shadow of the Colossus
Retro-wise Super Metroid, caught me off guard at the end

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 02:06:28 pm »
Im surprised nobody has said The Last of Us, great sad story same goes for Shadow of the Colossus
Retro-wise Super Metroid, caught me off guard at the end

Yeah, I forgot about ICO & SotC...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

amauriel

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 02:22:16 pm »
Good stories in games? This is where I'm a viking!

A great story can make me go from being "meh" about a game to putting it in my favorites list. I'm pretty handheld-oriented, but here's a few of my favorites. I'll keep descriptions short to avoid spoilers.

• 999 (DS) and Virtue's Last Reward (3DS/Vita) - Probably the best story I've ever played in a game series. When Virtue's Last Reward was released, I had planned ahead so I could take 4 days and do nothing but play. The story was so engrossing, it only took me 3.
  • Persona 3 (PS2) - Can't say enough good stuff about this one. Seriously. The only thing I can't speak for is The Answer part of FES, but that's on my to-play list.
  • Persona 4 (PS2) - Same as 3. Great game. Sad to admit I have never quite finished it, but that will be rectified soon.
  • Professor Layton (DS/3DS) - I'm grouping these all together. Yes, they are puzzle games, but the story makes them special. The end of the third game made me tear up, and how often does that happen in a puzzle game?
  • Phoenix Wright (DS/3DS) - Grouping these together too. The story is out there but amazing. The overreaching saga of Phoenix and everyone involved with his law office/talent agency is great. Turning one of these games almost feels like coming back to a home away from home, because you get to know the characters as if they were friends.
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS) - Written by the group behind Phoenix Wright, the story unfolds as your character is possessing objects and haunting people. Unique way to present a story and pretty effective.
  • Heavy Rain (PS3) - Any of David Cage's games could make this list, but this is my favorite one. A good mystery ranks high in my book any day, and this is a really great one.
  • Deadly Premonition (PS3) - Ever watch Twin Peaks? Did you like it? Play this. Here's a perfect example of "Man, the gameplay of this game sucks but it's such a great game!"
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS) - I thought about putting Trace Memory, Another Code R, and Last Window on this list as well, but Hotel Dusk remains my favorite Cing game. Trying to figure out the story behind your own character while the main story is going on is a great twist.
  • Earthbound (SNES) - Yeah, my avatar is from this game for a reason. The characters are memorable and I'm able to relate to them, even with their fantastical story. It's almost a coming-of-age tale with crazed road signs and coffee cups.
  • Bioshock (Xbox 360/PC/PS3) - The only shooter series I've ever really played, and only then because the story is so strong and presented in such an amazing way I can ignore the game mechanics I usually hate.
  • Danganronpa (Vita) - I finished this one up last night and I'm still mulling over the ending. Probably will be for the next couple of days. Any game that does that has a good story.
  • Chrono Trigger (SNES/DS) - I hope everyone knows this one. Multiple endings done right, characters to relate to, and a good story without dragging on too long. Solid all around.
  • Analogue: A Hate Story (PC) - The game doesn't feel like it's really telling you a story but then you look back and see how much you're trying to piece together. Stuck with me for a long time after playing it.
  • Trauma Center(DS/Wii) - You would think a doctor story with surgeries wouldn't have an amazing story, but here we are. The story all happens between the levels though, so it's kind of a back and forth.

I'm sure I've got more, but these are what came to mind off the bat.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 02:38:07 pm »
I nominate Custom Robo (GCN) as the funniest story.

maximo310

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:05 pm »
I nominate Custom Robo (GCN) as the funniest story.
Haha, I know that some critics hated the story as being too text-heavy, but they obivously didn't mess around with that third option alot in making choices . Some of the choices in there are hilarious.