Author Topic: EA Shuts Down ‘SimCity’ & ‘The Sims’ Developer Maxis  (Read 1300 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

EA Shuts Down ‘SimCity’ & ‘The Sims’ Developer Maxis
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:01:20 pm »
http://gamerant.com/sims-city-developer-maxis-shut-down/

The Sims and SimCity were certainly Maxis’ most well-known contributions to the video game canon, but their smaller titles found just as dedicated a following. Games like SimAnt, SimCopter and Streets of SimCity couldn’t rival the sales of their bigger siblings, but will nevertheless endure thanks to their fans for years to come.

While this news wasn’t anticipated, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise. The studio’s 2013 reboot of SimCity was met with widespread criticism from fans thanks to its focus on online city-building rather than a robust single-player experience, and EA have a nasty habit of closing studios associated with poorly received projects.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tafk

PRO Supporter

Re: EA Shuts Down ‘SimCity’ & ‘The Sims’ Developer Maxis
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:02:26 pm »
As LGR said in his video on the subject "That Maxis was basically done after Will Wright Left" so not a whole lot of sadness from me. They have their place in history and their legacy.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »
Somehow one flop warrants the shutdown of a studio with over a dozen hits spanning 27 years. RIP Maxis

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:07:12 pm »
Leave it to EA. I hope i see the day when this jackass of a company goes out of business.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:24 pm »
Sad news, but with Wright gone, this was really Maxis in name only. That anyone thought an online-centric SimCity was needed or wanted is indication enough of where things could have, and would have, eventually led.

That being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next Sim* game is essentially a Sims MMO done by a third-party company.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:50:52 pm »
I could never get my city to make money in SimCity, I was always just scraping by :(.  Without them, where would games on facebook be?

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 06:03:19 pm »
A shame EA basically caused the death of them.  While I loved the creation aspect in the new SimCity, the always online stuff was such a pointless idea and how badly broken the game was due to rushed development.  Could've been a pretty solid game.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:58:05 am by kamikazekeeg »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 12:52:16 am »
Heard about this last night.  Definitely loved The Sims games on PS2, my brother's a bigger fan since he plays both of the series.

Please check out the games I have for sale.