Author Topic: Category missing: Hack & Slash  (Read 2385 times)

Category missing: Hack & Slash
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:30 am »
Afro Samurai, God of War, DMC, Bayonetta...

Re: Category missing: Hack & Slash
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:58 am »
Action genre covers that I'm pretty sure.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:48:05 am »
Like it covers every Beat 'em Up as well. And so on.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:51:06 am »
Action is a very generic category that is used to cover games that can't be covered otherwise like simple button mashers or games that test your reflexes, but nothing else, e.g. very early games or Infinite Runners (even if those are, um, Infinite Runners).

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »
Action is a very generic category that is used to cover games that can't be covered otherwise like simple button mashers or games that test your reflexes, but nothing else, e.g. very early games or Infinite Runners (even if those are, um, Infinite Runners).

Yeah, unfortunately many of our categories are fairly broad. It's something that may be reworked in the future. We had previously discussed various ways to handle it (having multiple category fields and/or lots of subgenres), but it got very complicated very quickly. It was decided to go with the more broad categories for the time being with maybe a reworking later down the line.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 02:33:58 pm »
Yeah, I thought so. But as there is no search function for the forum (or is it?) I couldn't find anything about it. Crtl+F in the Suggestions sub (keyword "genre") just yielded something about Shmup subgenres. Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 02:43:11 pm »
I get it, I'm blind. It's an own button next to 'Forum Home'. I was rather looking for a search bar inside the forum itself. My bad.

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »
I get it, I'm blind. It's an own button next to 'Forum Home'. I was rather looking for a search bar inside the forum itself. My bad.

No worries! Yeah, might take a little time to get used to where everything is - I still get turned around sometimes, haha.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 11:49:08 pm »
This is where we currently stand with respect to our available genre categories:

Action >> General
Action >> Arcade
Action >> Beat-’Em-Up
Action >> Fighting
Action >> Platformer
Action >> Rhythm
Action >> Shooter >> First-Person
Action >> Shooter >> Light Gun
Action >> Shooter >> Shoot-’Em-Up

Action Adventure >> Survival Horror (NOTE: This should be renamed as Survival because not all Survival games are horror themed. This was a serious error.)

Adventure >> General

Classic - don’t know what this is, but it’s not a generally accepted genre

Miscellaneous (Other)
Miscellaneous >> Edutainment
Miscellaneous >> Exercise - should be renamed Exercise / Fitness
Miscellaneous >> Party - should be renamed Party / Mini-games

Puzzle >> General

Racing >> General

Role-Playing >> General
Role-Playing >> Massively Multiplayer

Simulation >> Flight
Simulation >> General

Sports >> General

Strategy >> General

As you can see, most are very broad definitions while others pertain to just a small percentage of games. There are some important omissions, but the following is the most egregious and comprises a huge number of games:

Action Adventure: Games with elements of both action (reflex, timing, button-mashing) and adventure (puzzle-solving, inventory management) games - a hybrid of the Action and Adventure categories.

Also, I’m going to keep hammering on the following definitions until everyone gets it:

Adventure: Games that require primarily logic and problem-solving to complete in the context of a narrative, with little (if any) action game mechanics.
Examples: Myst, Proteus, Gone Home, Heavy Rain , Shadowgate, The Secret of Monkey Island, Zork, Enchanter

Beat-'Em-Up: An action game where the player must fight a large number of enemies in unarmed combat or with melee weapons.
Examples: Double Dragon, Final Fight, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Viewtiful Joe, Devil My Cry

Shoot-'Em-Up: Shooting action games in a 2D overhead, side, or top-down perspective against a large number of enemies while dodging their fire.
Examples: Gradius, R-Type, Deathsmiles, Smash TV, Geometry Wars, Super Stardust Delta, Space Invaders, Galaga, Ikaruga
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:33:02 pm by SilverBow »

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 12:50:07 am »
Shoot-'Em-Up: Shooting action games in a 2D overhead, side, or top-down perspective against a large number of enemies while dodging their fire.
Examples: Gradius, R-Type, Deathsmiles, Smash TV, Geometry Wars, Super Stardust Delta, Space Invaders, Galaga, Ikaruga

Do people have a different idea of what shmups are?  I generally think of them as how you described it.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 09:43:18 am »
Dont get me involved in this. I would do it like this :

RPGs
Non RPGs

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 09:47:17 am »
It may be better to have the ability to add "Tags" to an item regarding the genre. That way you could put multiple things on it.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 10:09:51 am »
It may be better to have the ability to add "Tags" to an item regarding the genre. That way you could put multiple things on it.

Now that sounds like a great idea.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 10:29:02 am »
Action Adventure: Games with elements of both action (reflex, timing, button-mashing) and adventure (puzzle-solving, inventory management) games - a hybrid of the Action and Adventure categories.

Also, I’m going to keep hammering on the following definitions until everyone gets it:

Adventure: Games that require primarily logic and problem-solving to complete in the context of a narrative, with little (if any) action game mechanics.
Examples: Myst, Proteus, Gone Home, Heavy Rain , Shadowgate, The Secret of Monkey Island, Zork, Enchanter

Something like "Action Adventure" is definitely missing. And I'm with you regarding the "Adventure" genre. "Action" alone is just so generic that atm I would have categorized a game like Uncharted into "Adventure" rather than "Action".

And you are basically right about "Survival" games, it's just a rather niche category per se and there are even fewer games that are "Survival", but not "Survival Horror", I'd say. Both (being niche and the "Survival":"Survival Horror" ratio) could have changed by now, though, considering the flood of indie games.

- I really like the idea of tags. This would be a huge improvement.

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 12:53:23 pm »

Do people have a different idea of what shmups are?  I generally think of them as how you described it.
While editing I have run across some games incorrectly categorized as Shoot-’Em-Up. Usually they are first- or third-person shooters. In general, it’s been a game that has a weapon capable of rapid fire. On a couple of occasions I ran across Action RPG’s categorized as such.

As for Beat’Em-Up, I’ve seen one-on-one unarmed combat games and even boxing games with this genre attached to them. Action RPG’s too!