Author Topic: 52 Game Challenge 2017  (Read 59671 times)

Re: 52 Game Challenge 2017
« Reply #525 on: December 12, 2017, 09:41:18 am »
Ugh, I've essentially been moving for a month and while I am now completely moved into my new place, having to unpack and get things set up is a time consuming pit which there is seemingly no escape. I am really, really hoping that this weekend I'll be able to spend some serious time playing something and maybe adding a few more titles to my games beat this for this year. It has now been over a month since I beat a game despite getting a lot of time in with Breath of the Wild which I already beat earlier this year. I am going to try for 75 games beat before year's end, but we'll see.

« Reply #526 on: December 12, 2017, 10:21:04 am »
Sitting at 101 games beat now.  3 games to go.

Looking at starting Demon Box King on the 3DS which will probably be my last handheld game beat for the year.  Might start DQ6 after that.

Trying to decide what console game to start.  I've been enjoying playing 360 games in my game room, but my wife has been hogging the room playing Ni no Kuni.  So maybe I'll play Wolfenstein II or jump back into Yakuza 0.  My wife wants me to play Among the Sleep, but I told her she'll have to make me.  Maybe I'll finish Lococycle.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:23:21 am by ignition365 »

kashell

« Reply #527 on: December 14, 2017, 09:15:13 am »
My review for Secret of Evermore is now up. I'm not sure what's taking so long for the Uta review to get posted.

« Reply #528 on: December 14, 2017, 03:50:48 pm »
Knocked another game out.  Sitting at 102.  Just 2 more to go.  Might make these last two longish games.  Maybe Wolfenstein 2 and Yakuza 0.  I haven't been feeling awesome today, so maybe I'll just focus on Picross S and listen to some funnies... like Community.

My wife met her original goal of 20 games fairly quickly and we kept upping it, and today my wife beat her 40th game of the year, which was the final adjusted goal.  I don't believe she expects to beat any more games this year, so that's probably all for her.

« Reply #529 on: December 16, 2017, 09:41:10 am »
1. Super Mario 3D World - 100%
2. Dark Souls III
3. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
4. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6. Dr. Mario
7. Nioh
8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition As close to 100% that you can do on a single playthrough
9. Wolfenstein: The New Order
10. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
11. Tales from the Borderlands
12. Bloodborne (Childhood's Beginning)
13. Bloodborne (Yharnam Sunrise) - Platinum
14. Fallout 4
15. Rocket League
16. Day of the Tentacle Remastered
17. Mega Man X
18. Lords of the Fallen
19. Resident Evil 4
20. Super Punch-Out!! - Unbeaten - Will Return
21. Super Mario Odyssey - 100%
22. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
23. Imperialism
24. Rebel Galaxy - Unbeaten - Will Not Return
25. XCOM 2 - In Progress

I let myself get too absorbed in massive open world and action RPGs this year.  But, unlike last year with Mad Max, which was merely mediocre, these were all pretty fantastic, so I've no regrets about it.

realpoketendonl

« Reply #530 on: December 18, 2017, 10:22:07 am »
And that makes 34! Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has been beaten! With this game, I consider at least a 1-star rank on all Grand Prix cups as beaten, and perfect 3-star ranks on all Grand Prix cups (as well as all vehicle pieces unlocked) as completed.

This is no doubt the best Mario Kart game to date. The huge amount of fantastic tracks, the different mechanics, the overall handling, the rebalancing of items, it's absolutely fantastic. Do I even need to say anything about this game though? You already know whether you'll like it or not. And if you think you will, I can assure you you will. It's a fantastic game for parties, and great fun single player too. Highly recommended.

UPDATE: So I booted up Kirby: Planet Robobot and beat Meta Knightmare Returns. I already beat the main game and the Arena, so I guess that's Kirby: Planet Robobot beaten! I still need to beat the True Arena and 100% the main game to complete the game. I may or may not do that, I'm not sure yet.

Kirby: Planet Robobot is good. It's not fantastic or anything, it's exactly what you expect. A simple, but fun adventure. It's your typical Kirby game. Worth checking out if you're a fan of the series or just looking for a simple fun platformer.

So that gets me to 35!
Italics means I had already started with the game November last year or earlier
A red glow means this is a second playthrough
A blue glow means the game has been completed 100%
  • Life is Strange
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Kirby’s Dream Land
  • Kirby’s Dream Land
  • Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (PC version)
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure
  • Sonic Generations
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
  • Drawn to Life
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • 8-Bit Bayonetta
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Bayonetta
  • Space Channel 5: Part 2
  • DuckTales: Remastered
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Rivals of Aether
  • Miitopia
  • Ben 10: Galactic Racing
  • The World Ends With You
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Melody's Escape
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Undertale
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Nekojishi
  • Tender Loving Care
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot

So...now for the bad news. I still wanted to beat Life is Strange: Before the Storm and attempt The Evil Within before the end of the year, but that ain't happening anymore. My computer crashed and is in for repairs, and I likely won't get it back until next year. So that's a real shame, but I may still try to pad out this list with some DS titles I have laying around (not sure yet). Oh well, what can you do I guess. At least that gives me some nice titles for next year!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:26:13 pm by realpoketendonl »
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

telly

« Reply #531 on: December 19, 2017, 01:39:30 am »
Game 25 - Pac-Man Vs. (GC) - 1 Hour

+ Got a few friends together to play this game. It is honestly a ton of fun! We had a blast playing, even though we had never seen any gameplay of this before. I can really appreciate the good game design because it never favored Pac-Man over the ghosts. We had several close games and had to do a three-way tie breaker at the end. Really fun to play.

- The biggest issue for me is that there isn't much to the game other than play through the 6 stages. I was dying for something a little more, some more game modes, new stages, new ways to play... anything! There's a criminal lack of content in this game, and I'm still second guessing myself typing this because there's not a single thing to unlock or do, which is a major bummer.

This game will be great to add to my GameCube collection and play when I have friends over. It's a ton of fun :D

Back to my list
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:44:59 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #532 on: December 19, 2017, 09:07:00 am »
Felt sick all weekend and wanted to lay in the game room, so I wound up playing more 360 games and beat my goal of 104.

« Reply #533 on: December 20, 2017, 12:20:37 am »
First review in over a month:

74. Thunder Force VI (PS2): There is no denying that this is by far the easiest game in the Thunder Force series as well as possibly the most imbalanced one, with it heavily favoring the player over the enemy ships and bosses. However, this combination of great music, cool bosses, unique levels, and fun gameplay make for a cool, albeit shallow shmup experience. This game is just plain fun even if it is a bit more on the casual side in more ways than one. (12/19/17)

« Reply #534 on: December 23, 2017, 06:30:13 am »
59 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch 2017) - BEAT - Well this was a doozy.  Over 90 hours put in with more likely to come and I gotta say that this game is a wonderful time.  I wasn't someone that liked the previous two games, I thought they had a lot of issues that couldn't keep me playing, but this streamlined the entire experience, making it more engaging, the progression being far better handled, and it never felt like I was being overburdened by the systems and questing.  Fantastic music, some fun characters, a great world, I haven't enjoyed a JRPG this much in awhile, the last one being Final Fantasy XV, but that had so many problems, it was a tough enjoyment.

This game does have a few issues, like the performance in battles isn't great, where it does this thing to salvage the framerate by I think either dropping the games quality, or anti-aliasing, or something, but it really shows they were stretching what the Switch could handle, but that's par for the course with the Xenoblade games.  They've never ran super well lol Also the UI isn't really great, they did a tiny patch to tweak the map, but it's still a bad map, and the minimap is supposed to be improved later, but yeah, that's down the road.  Also I'd say there's pretty bad writing going on.  It's not constant, but like you'll get these moments that make you groan or clearly state something they knew before, and it's all very tropey, which sometimes is endearing, but also Japanese writers have been doing this shit for years and they really need to try and improve.  Also the Gachapon-esque crystals are frustrating.  At least they aren't lootboxes with microtransactions, but I spent 90 hours in this game and still have like 10 of them to unlock.  Lucky to get one Blade in at least 20 to 30 crystals, rare and common.  I've used 3 or 4 Legendary ones and didn't get a single unique Blade.  Just did my 5th one, got a unique blade, but these legendary ones are hard to come by.  Not great odds.

That's all really nitpicky though.  It's honestly in my Top 3 this year with Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey.  I mean, wow.  Three games from one system, a new one, on top of a good year for gaming in general (That is if we don't include the great lows in gaming this year lol)?  I still have more to do in this game as I actually want to try and get all the blades and complete as much as I can as there are still some quests leftover, at least a dozen blades to get, I'm nearly done with the Merc Missions, so I'll probably spend at least another 5 to 10 hours trying to finish up anything.

*EDIT*
And this is likely the last game of the year for me unless I'm surprised with something for Christmas. My total for games is...48 games beat or were endless/multiplayer games that I put a minimum of 10 hours into.  I abandoned 11 games.  Overall my best year so far.  Next year I won't be buying as many games, so unlikely to get back to this number, though I already have a few ports I bought cheap that I'll be playing next year.  Maybe I'll try and do more smaller titles, dig through some of these random games I've collected over the years through freebies and humble bundles.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:16:01 pm by kamikazekeeg »

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #535 on: December 24, 2017, 02:26:45 am »
52 Games list
1.  Dragon Quest VII- 3DS
2.  Dragon Quest Builders- PS4- Done- Beat Main Story
3.  Hyper Light Drifter- PS4
4. Roller Coaster Tycoon- PC- Done- Beat all Original Scenarios
5.  Titanfall 2- Done- Beat Main Story on Normal
6.  Deus Ex Mankind Divided-Done- Beat Main Story on Normal, all Sidequests
7. Skies of Arcadia: Legends- GC- 5 hours in
8. Mirrors Edge: Catalyst- few hours in, game is pretty dull, probably won't finish this one
9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt- PS4- Done- Beat main story-
10. Paper Mario- N64- 5 hours in
11. Zelda- Breath of the Wild- Switch- One Divine Beat down- 3 to go
12. The Witcher 3 DLC- Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine- Complete
13. Nier Automata- Beaten- Got all main endings A-E
14. Persona 5- PS4- 90 or so hours in
15. Red Faction- PS2- Beaten on Normal- Took me nearly 15 yrs after the fact but finally beat this game
16.  Gears of War: UE- XBONE- Beaten on Normal- Co-op-
17.  Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped- PS4 Beaten - 105% Plat trophy
18.  Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back- PS4 102% Plat trophy
19. Crash Bandicoot- 102%- Platinum Trophy
20.  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- PS1 -- All endings- 196%+ map percentage
21. Axiom Verge- Vita- Beaten
22. Severed- Vita- Beaten 100%- Platinum Trophy
23.  Undertale-Vita-  Beat- Platinum Trophy
24.  Golf Story- Switch Beat Main Story
25.  Ys VIII- PS4- Beat game- true ending
26.  Metroid: Samus Returns- 3DS- Area 2
27.  Everybody's Golf- Beat Game, now for end game
28.  Steamworld Dig 2- Early game
29.  Shadow Complex- Close to end
30.  Super Mario Odyssey- Beat- 500 power moons
31.  Wolfenstein II- intro scene
32.  Horizon Zero Dawn- Beat Story, about 80% done
33.  Prey- Beat game- best ending
34.  2064 Read Only Memories- PS4 Chapter 2
35.  Battle Chef Brigade- NSW Chapter 2
36. Night in the Woods- PS4 Beat Main Story
37.  What Remains of Edith Finch-PS4 Beat Main Story
38.  Metroid Fusion- GBA
39.  Xenoblade Chronicles II- NSW- 7 hours in
40.  Yakuza 0- PS4-  30 hrs in

24/40

shfan

« Reply #536 on: December 24, 2017, 10:02:29 am »
At 36/52, which although is still well short, is something of a miracle considering what a year it's been. Just been on a week's break, during which 3 games got beat, 2 of them were long overdue. Hey Pikmin! is a game I picked up mid-year (on another break) and finished, it's a real charming little thing. Dungeon Travelers 2 has hogged my Vita for what must be at least a year, it's such a good feeling to have that one ticked off. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is a game I've started 3 or 4 times over the years, to finally reach the end was a real buzz.

On top of that, a Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. is nearly done, as with Dungeon Travelers 2 this has hogged a console (2DS in this case) for @ 70 hours of gameplay - I'm ready to finish it before the end of the year, I'm at one of the last bosses now.

Happy! Ooh, on top of that I started playing Ninja Blade, by FROM, which at the time received no attention as the Dark Souls train hadn't even been built, let alone run through gaming central and ruined everyone's shit :D It's a bit like DMC and is insane but totally straight-faced about it. Love it!

telly

« Reply #537 on: December 24, 2017, 11:50:55 am »
Game 26 - Batman: Arkham Origins (Wii U) - 16 Hours

Another game off the list! Might be the last one for the year too.

+ This game was still pretty fun, the gameplay/action and stealth was just as great as the previous entries which was why I was drawn to it in the first place. I liked the free roaming as the collectibles were better placed. I also liked the detective mode where you could scan a body for evidence and piece together the crime scene. There were some good boss battles too, the one against Deathstroke was really challenging and fun. I liked the powerups and I pretty much used all of them in battle at some point, even the explosive gel was good.

- Unfortunately, the game just feels really phoned in and unpolished, in particular with the story. It just feels like another re-hash of Arkham City but less memorable, with a boring story and lame characters, especially the villains. There were also some pretty bad framerate issues when things got busy on screen.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:53:19 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

realpoketendonl

« Reply #538 on: December 25, 2017, 07:41:00 pm »
So we all know how famous the Star Fox series is for it's multiple paths and multiple endings. Well, I just beat one ending to Star Fox: Command. I know the game has 9 endings to find, but hey, beating it once counts as beating, right? Besides, I think that this one playthrough gave me plenty to judge it on as is.

So how was it? It was all right...for DS. You can tell this is a DS game. This really is a game that feels like it's held back by its platform. It has very limited ideas, and while the ideas it has are often good, they're not always executed properly. I am not going to touch on the story, both because I haven't gotten all the endings yet and because it's only a backdrop to the gameplay. You don't play for the story. And sadly, the gameplay isn't enough to carry the game.

It's by no means bad, but it's very mediocre. Don't expect the variety and exploration from titles like Star Fox 64. All fights are the same. You're in all-range mode shooting down targets (sometimes followed by flying into a mothership), and occasionally you take down a missile. It's basic, easy, and not incredibly engaging. And it never really seems to change (I doubt the other endings change that too). It's all right for just killing some time, but that's the extend of it. Especially with Star Fox 64 3D being a thing, there is not really any reason to hunt this one down unless you're a big fan of either Star Fox or that typical Nintendo DS-feel. Again, not bad, but mediocre at best.

So that's 36!
Italics means I had already started with the game November last year or earlier
A red glow means this is a second playthrough
A blue glow means the game has been completed 100%
  • Life is Strange
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Kirby’s Dream Land
  • Kirby’s Dream Land
  • Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (PC version)
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure
  • Sonic Generations
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
  • Drawn to Life
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • 8-Bit Bayonetta
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Bayonetta
  • Space Channel 5: Part 2
  • DuckTales: Remastered
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Rivals of Aether
  • Miitopia
  • Ben 10: Galactic Racing
  • The World Ends With You
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Melody's Escape
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Undertale
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Nekojishi
  • Tender Loving Care
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot
  • Star Fox: Command
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:01:12 pm by realpoketendonl »
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

« Reply #539 on: December 27, 2017, 12:15:49 am »
I'm in the middle of playing several of the games I got for XMAS, most of which I've beat since they are more arcade style games. Once I play them a bit more and get a good feel for them I will post reviews on them. I'm particularly trying to beat Layer Section (aka Galactic Attack) before the end of the year. I really want to start Nier Automata soon too.