Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2018  (Read 40389 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2018
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2018, 01:28:14 am »
22 - Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (Switch 2018) - BEAT - Took my time with this one, but finally done with Legends Mode.  Ended up getting through most of the first Adventure Map also, but there is so much damn stuff to get through and I'll be playing this game off and on for basically ever.  It's a mindless game and boy did I wish they introduced a short Breath of the Wild expansion, but I like it.  Only one of these that I've tried of these type of games that worked out for me.

34 - Resident Evil Zero HD Remaster (PC 2016) - DROPPPED - After the hype from beating RE1 Remake, I thought I'd check out RE0, but this is not a good game.  Crazy that both of these games released in the same year.  Being able to drop stuff is nice, but without a box, you just end up leaving shit everywhere.  There needed to be both a box and being able to drop stuff I feel.  Also Co-op is not very good.  It's kinda clumsy to use and it makes the game way harder having to keep track of health and ammo for two people.  The game is built around the two people also as the slug zombies take so much damage.  I can understand them needing to do something new, but this just seems misguided.  I'm glad RE4 came after this and once the HD overhaul pack is released, I'll be playing that next.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:30:28 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2018, 12:23:41 am »
36 - Tacoma (PC 2017) - BEAT - Normally I'm not really into the walking simulator games, where it's really just kinda learning about a story with minimal interaction, but I'm not 100% against them, I'm just not going out of my way to play them, or pay money for them.  Luckily I got Tacoma for free, and with its scifi setting, it was enough to draw me in.  The AR data recording is an interesting way to tell the story, basically going into a room, everything recorded, and you just follow these virtual talking characters to figure out the plot, along with occasionally reading things on papers or emails.  The story that is here is alright, but it doesn't really become much of anything.  I can't really recommend it unless you love these types of games (Which you probably have already played it then), or you can get it for well under 10 bucks.  It's only like a 2 to 3 hour experience.

I do have Gone Home for free too, their previous game, so I might check it out for the heck of it.

« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2018, 10:47:55 pm »
35 - Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (PS4 2015) - BEAT - I don't think I've seriously played a CoD game since the first Black Ops game, where it had a miserable PC launch and was basically busted till they patched it up.  I've dabbled in open betas and free weekends for multiple games, played a short bit of Advanced Warfare on a rental, but that's been it.  As a series, the games are all competent, but they still just feel lacking, because they are yearly releases.  Doesn't matter who is working on them, what the era is, what the gimmick is, it's still the same Call of Duty game.  Same issue that Assassins Creed suffers from.

As for this game itself...it's like a 6/10.  Nothings bad in the singleplayer, it's just generally not very interesting.  The story is too super serious and when the twists happen, you are supposed to care about these characters you've spent no time with.  For a game with hacking and wall running, and such, some of the hacker powers feel kinda useless, while others seem overpowered.  You want to hack bots, especially the big ones, and you want to firefly the people.  That's it.  Same for guns. Some weapons are on the verge of useless, while the LMG and the sniper rifles, especially the semi-auto, destroy everything.  The levels aren't even really designed around the mobility features.  Like Titanfall 2 was fantastic with doing cool stuff with the mobility, but this is just underwhelming.  All very standard, linear, shooter, stuff. 

I probably spent more time than I should have playing this, but I just felt like going through the campaign, only because I got this game free, otherwise I would not have gotten it.  Played about two minutes of multiplayer before remembering that its Call of Duty, and CoD multiplayer sucks, so that ended quickly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:50:24 pm by kamikazekeeg »

shfan

« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2018, 11:06:56 am »
27] Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault (PS4)

Finally got to the end, it really started to drag, it's extremely repetitive, there's no real payoff either. Still, it's done. I was OK in terms of games beaten, but it's starting to slide now :S Started a few games which I ended up getting rid of instead of beating them.

« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2018, 12:05:44 pm »
11. Crash Bandicoot 2 (N Sane Trilogy) (Switch) - 7/15

Man Cortex on this one was really disappointing... The fight was over before I even realized it started. I was expecting a second phase... nope just cut scene and credits...

sergreyjoy

« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2018, 07:23:09 am »
1. Dragon Quest IV (NDS)

2. Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja (NDS)

3. The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons (GBC)

I'll start off by saying that Capcom is truly an amazing company...BUT...please stay out of nintendo franchises! The Oracle games aren't 'bad' games per se, but after playing the great Link's Awakening they just feel like cheap rehashes of it. The world maps felt tedious to roam through and none of the temples where memorable.

Not recommended unless you're a total Zelda fan.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)

5. Metroid Fusion (GBA)

6. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360)

7. Deadspace 2 (360)

8. Dark Souls (PS3)

9. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (PS2)

10. Beyond Good & Evil (PS2)

11. Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4)

12. Digimon World (PS1)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:22:44 am by sergreyjoy »

sergreyjoy

« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2018, 08:22:16 am »
1. Dragon Quest IV (NDS)

5. Metroid Fusion (GBA)

It took me over a decade before experiencing this game for the first time. And now I finally understand all the praise it got showered with. What a ride! I'm a bit sad to say that I had to run through the main quest line this past few weeks just to strike it off this list, but the nice thing is that the game can be continued from there anytime I want. So whenever I get the Skyrim itch, I'll jump right back in for a few hours!

The possibilities really are endless with this one. The replayability is through the roof in an already massive single-experience game. Hats off! Grey the Khajiit will be back for more!

7. Deadspace 2 (360)

8. Dark Souls (PS3)

12. Digimon World (PS1)

shfan

« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2018, 10:32:07 am »
29] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. (3DS)

Probably shouldn't jinx it, but suddenly I'm back on track, one more game beat by the end of the month and I'm bang on target.

This particular one, if I'm remembering right, was about 80% beat but it has taken more than a year to nail down the remaining 20%, phew, glad to see the back of it. It's a good enough game, but the giant battles were tough and I've never been any good at the Mario RPG Mario/Luigi combat controls, so finally getting through it feels like a relief. For the final 2 bosses I had to drop the difficulty down to easy, which went against the grain, but flushing @ 60 hours of playing the game down the drain to quit at the last hurdle was too negative to contemplate.

The next 3DS game I'll probably be booting up is the new remastered Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, the minions sub-game looks really interesting! Hopefully that won't take 2/3 years to beat  :-\

« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2018, 11:27:48 am »

It took me over a decade before experiencing this game for the first time. And now I finally understand all the praise it got showered with.

Hey!  It is a fantastic game, just a bit curious what you mean by the “over a decade” bit?  Skyrim came out in 2011.  I’m guessing you got the release year conflated with Oblivion?  Just wondering!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:00:13 am by Cartagia »

telly

« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2018, 12:01:14 am »
Game 10 - Mega Man X (SNESc) - 9 Hours

+ This game is fantastic. It's got great smooth gameplay, great graphics and music, perfect difficulty, and weapons that are fun to use and actually come in handy outside of the one random boss fight. I liked the searching for subtanks and heart upgrades which made you go and re-explore the levels again. I'm glad that I enjoyed this game so much after X4 really didn't do much for me at all.

- The only thing that I didn't like was the control scheme. I'm used to Mega Man ZX where dash can be mapped to the R button rather than A. Having the jump, buster and dash button all on the face buttons makes it harder to maneuver around sometimes, especially with tougher bosses. I also think I still like the ZX games better for those reasons, not to mention the even more expanded exploration and weapon selection (I STILL miss being able to use a sword and buster at the same time)

Back to my list

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:46:38 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2018, 12:58:51 am »
39 - Gone Home (PC 2013) - BEAT - Played this and Tacoma backwards basically, as Gone Home was the first from these devs and is the vastly shorter game lol Much like Tacoma, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy and play these games, they are just little stories that are alright and give you something to kinda chill out with.  Digging around the house, finding background stuff on the family, that's kinda fun.  Would be nice to see something like this with more of a puzzle aspect to it.  Like Resident Evil in terms the location being one big puzzle box.  For what these games are, they are fine. 

« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2018, 04:47:06 pm »
Just finished games 12 and 13 which officially puts me over my original goal of 12 games beat this year (one per month). God of War is a masterpiece, one of the all time greatest games imo and I'm really looking forward to another play through at some point.

12. God of War 2018 (PS4) - 7/17
13. Crash Bandicoot 3 (N Sane Trilogy) (Switch) - 7/18

sergreyjoy

« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2018, 05:00:29 pm »
6. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360)[/b]

It took me over a decade before experiencing this game for the first time. And now I finally understand all the praise it got showered with.

Hey!  It is a fantastic game, just a bit curious what you mean by the “over a decade” bit?  Skyrim came out in 2011.  I’m guessing you got the release year conflated with Oblivion?  Just wondering!

Darn! You are right! I am doubly blasphemous!

« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2018, 09:03:44 am »
Mega Man X (SNESc) - 9 Hours
[...]
- The only thing that I didn't like was the control scheme. I'm used to Mega Man ZX where dash can be mapped to the R button rather than A. Having the jump, buster and dash button all on the face buttons makes it harder to maneuver around sometimes, especially with tougher bosses. I also think I still like the ZX games better for those reasons, not to mention the even more expanded exploration and weapon selection (I STILL miss being able to use a sword and buster at the same time)
[/url]
The control scheme thing is probably just acclimation.  I totally get that it does cause a bit of claw hand, but I've always felt roughly the same a bout ZX.

And the second point is one of the reason why I like X.  I prefer the more straightforward nature.  But who knows, could just be nostalgia, talking.

6. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360)[/b]

Darn! You are right! I am doubly blasphemous!

All good, I was just confused and wanted some clarification.  Besides, it means that you DIDN'T miss out on Skyrim for a decade, which would be a plus in my book!

sergreyjoy

« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2018, 10:16:02 am »
1. Dragon Quest IV (NDS)

This was overdue. I bought the game in 2004 and never finished it, plus that copy of the game is long gone! Great game! Love the FF Tactics, job system is always A++ and replayability is up there too! Only downside would be the Laws gimmick, which I hated back then and that I endure nowadays. Doesn't really add anything to the game.

Can't wait to play FFTA2 !

5. Metroid Fusion (GBA)

7. Deadspace 2 (360)

8. Dark Souls (PS3)

12. Digimon World (PS1)