Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2019  (Read 45889 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2019
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2019, 06:22:48 am »
37 - The Outer Worlds (PC 2019) - BEAT - I was always sporting kind of a middling view on this game from its announcement to its release.  I'm a big fan Fallout fan and while initially I was excited for what was looking to be Obsidians own original take on Fallout, hearing how it was more scaled down than that had me unsure.  In the end, I was half right with my feelings.

The good and best part of this game is outright the dialogue and writing.  Fallout was always a mixed bag with its voice acting and writing, with the writing getting an uptick in New Vegas thanks to Obsidian, but losing that with Fallout 4.  In Outer Worlds, there were genuinely moments that made me laugh or feel bad and I wanted to deal with the conversations way more than I did in Fallout.  It definitely allows you to roleplay more and will appease folks that felt disappointed by Fallout 4.  The gameplay and feel of the game in general is nicely done, especially coming off Fallout with all its jank.  It's not like this is particularly well done gameplay, feels like you are playing like a mid-2000 era shooter, but it at least feels cohesive.  The streamlined customization, gear, etc does make for a more simpler experience.

That said, as a Fallout fan and someone who did enjoy Fallout 4 despite having issues with it, I think there are some noticeable negatives for me.  Exploration is kinda boring.  Gear at a point starts to become more palette swaps than anything or they add a MK2 or Ultra onto it with higher stats.  I basically ended up looking mostly the same from the first world to the last other than in different colors.  The loot also is pretty uninteresting and personally barely used most of what I looted.  The AI also is pretty bad for both enemies and companions.  The companion abilities are great when you are in a pinch, but it's all pretty terrible AI, even when compared to Fallout.  There's also zero randomness to the game.  There are basically spots where the enemies spawn and that's all they will.  There won't be spontaneous creature attacks, or ambushes, and you won't see different factions fighting most of the time or enemies fighting off creatures.  It goes back to making exploration feel boring.  Also the AI only reacts with certain distances to combat, so you can fight people in a building where you'll fight a group and another group 100 feet away don't even react.  It's a weird feeling.

I know this is meant to be a smaller, scaled down game, it's not one big open world, it's not a 100+ hour experience, it's not a series that has been around for years with tons of content to rely on, but while the dialogue is great and makes for a way more interesting experience with the story and missions than anything Fallout has done I think, I just didn't really love it.  Outer Worlds isn't a bad game at all, I'd probably give it like a 7/10, but yeah, I think I'm gonna end up hunting for some new mods and just jump back into Fallout 4.

shfan

« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2019, 07:57:34 pm »
39] Demon's Souls (PS3)

Beaten about 20 minutes before midnight on 31 October, quite the halloween game, managed to make it two games beaten this month rather than one, to top it off completing this now and Bloodborne back in March means I've now beaten all of the Soulsbourne games. A long time coming, pleased to have started this one from scratch and get through it. Have to accept that, short of chewing through a bunch of games which can be beaten in one sitting, I'm definitely not going to make it this year either. Still, the challenge is certainly focusing me on getting through some games, and after a massive clear-out this year I'm not so swamped but unplayed/unbeaten games.

« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2019, 09:39:52 am »
I’m maybe 30 minutes away from beating Celeste.  I don’t know if I want to try to unlock the final Chapters or not.  I don’t really care for when true endings are hidden behind obtuse puzzles that aren’t explained to you - or when you reach the “end” and the game tells you that you need to go back through the whole thing in some capacity.

telly

« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2019, 10:04:51 pm »
Game 17 - Shenmue II - 28 Hours

I think in general, Shenmue II is a much more even-handed experience compared to the first game. The first game had both amazing strengths and crippling flaws at the same time, and the sequel improves on pretty much everything, which meant I enjoyed it a lot more overall. However, the same issues with the first game held back the experience in the second game for me.

+

Let's first talk about what's been improved. Hong Kong and Kowloon are incredibly well designed and modelled. I thought the first game was impressive, but this game takes it to a whole new level. The game's sprawling streets and apartments, detailed restaurants and shops, and expansive environments bring a whole new standard of environmental polish.

The game provides more content to keep you occupied while you're waiting for story elements. You can do more games like pachinko, street fighting, the arcade, gamble, pick up a part time job (though none of the jobs are particularly fun), or sell trinkets you collect at the pawn shop. I really liked all the different gambling and street games you can participate in. I enjoyed the music significantly more as well, it felt like a genuine soundtrack and it was very well done.

The voice acting has improved significantly and there were only a couple of characters that sounded off to me. I enjoyed the more fleshed out characters like Ren, Joy, and Wong. The game still gives you a lot of freedom to move at your own pace which is still refreshing and certainly was still innovative for the time. Lastly, the story progression is in general has a little more meat to it than the first game and there were some great moments overall.

The fighting is still good, there seemed to be less of it but it came up in the right places with the story. I liked how there were more boss fights as well. I only wish there was an actual place to train like you could in the park in the first game. I could have just missed it though.

-

The two main points that were not improved upon in this game was the writing and the story. Ryo just fails to reciprocate any kind of meaningful conversation in like 70% of his interactions with both NPC and story characters. I swear, half of Ryo's lines are just repeating the same details that were spoken by another person with a question mark at the end. It's like Metal Gear Solid levels of bad. The conversations with Shenhua were especially grating because they go on for like 2 hours during your hike through the mountains. The writing in general just felt sloppy and disconnected throughout. Part of the issue is the open world design because it means Ryo will often be given or ask for information you as the player have already figured out if you talk to more than one person.

Easily the biggest disappointment with Shenmue II is the story, for three main reasons. The first game ends with you going to Hong Kong to pursue Lan Di, which was a fine way to end things. But the first 2/3rds of this game are just made up of you pursuing people who can help you even locate Lan Di (Lishao Tao and Yuanda Zhu). So the game immediately takes two steps back with the story progression and you're just working to get back to the status quo left by the first game. The second problem is, like any piece of media in the middle of a series, is to contribute anything meaningful to the story when the real beginning and conclusion are in different games. The moments where Ryo is training with Xiuying, and the big reveal 24 hours in were the only things this game added to the overarching narrative. Thirdly, the ending in particular created more questions than answers and left no real closure to continue onto the third game with. I'm seriously curious how the third game will pick up because this game's ending just has nothing to go off of.

Lastly, I really didn't like the over reliance on quick time events this time around. They didn't bother me at all in the first game, but here they overstay their welcome. The ones where you had to press multiple buttons in sequence were especially obnoxious.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:55:48 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2019, 12:08:38 pm »
I've decided for next year I'm only going to allow myself 13 of the over 52 games, or 1 in 4, to be a game I've played before, or at least am fairly familiar with. No doubt that this challenge has exposed me to a lot of stuff I've never played before, but I also feel like I often replay games I've already played a decent amount in the past. I really want to play a fair amount of brand new, never before played games next year, or even games that I've barely ever played. One of the games I'm currently playing inspired me to do this for next year.

telly

« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2019, 12:32:32 pm »
I used to only play new games for this challenge but now I've been counting games I've replayed as well.

I really want to give Suikoden II another playthrough right now...
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2019, 10:37:14 pm »
I used to only play new games for this challenge but now I've been counting games I've replayed as well.

I really want to give Suikoden II another playthrough right now...

I count all games, even if I have played them in the past. Last year I deliberately played a lot of games I'd already played, mostly to see if they still held up for me. This year I haven't done terrible with just replaying stuff, but I've done it far more than I would have preferred. Of course the reason I replay games is because I like them or would like to have a more modern opinion of that game, but I feel like I need to start playing games I've never played before or at the very least barely played.

« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2019, 07:04:39 am »
38 - Gears 5 (PC 2019) - BEAT - Wasn't planning to play this one so soon after Gears 4, as I wasn't really blown away by what they did in that game, really just feeling like a prettier version of the original trilogy on 360.  Didn't impress.  That said, Gears 5 turned out to be a notable improvement.  General movement is better, smoother, the Jack robot adds some extra and much need gameplay features, and they even have two semi-open world sections to explore.  Doing all that and getting rid of what I thought were kinda boring horde mode sections in the story really uplifted this game.  It's still at its core the same type of Gears gameplay, fighting behind cover, but more utility makes it more engaging.

Genuinely a good game that I'd recommend, even if it's technically part 2 of a new trilogy, it gives a recap at the beginning and I think it would just be better to skip Gears 4.  A number of sections in that dragged for me (I hated fighting the robots lol) and Gears 5 just ended up being more enjoyable.  Actually interested to see what they could do to step up Gears 6 and finish out this trilogy.

« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2019, 02:22:41 pm »
Finished up my Spooktober with a few more horror games and ended up adding an unexpected game to my list of favorites. Going into this I never had any intention to play Dead Space, it had been sitting on my shelf for years, and somehow I managed to avoid any information about it over the years. I had no idea how loved this game was until one of my friends mentioned I should play it for October. I gave it a shot and ended up loving it, so much that I plan on continuing on with the franchise this month.
I'm starting to hit the home stretch for this challenge, I set out this year just to try to finish as many games as I could and never thought I'd actually hit 52, but at this point its totally within reach!

45. Kid Dracula (Switch) 10/19 - Beat
46. Dead Space (360) 10/24 - Beat
47. Little Nightmares (Switch) 10/25 - Beat
48. Silent Hill (PS1) 10/29 - Beat

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2019, 04:04:08 pm »
Gunning for the Platinum is Spider-Man.  Super fun game, and actually a fun collectathon!

« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2019, 10:39:08 pm »
part 6

50. Mortal Kombat (Arcade)
: I think everyone and their dog has some sort of back in the day Mortal Kombat memory. Mine was seeing it at a local arcade in a shopping mall and thinking it was a game that dangerous, cool teenagers played. This of course made me really want the game even though I was only 6. During this time my cousin was living with us and he was the definition of one of those cool, dangerous teens that would play Mortal Kombat, and he was just that; why do you think he was living with us? He actually bought the Sega Genesis version for me, but my parents made him return it since they didn't think it was appropriate for me at that age. As I got a little older my parent's restriction on what I played relaxed considerably, but by the time this was happening MK3 was out and the original was no longer that hip, violent game that everyone was talking about. Over the years I haven't found many original MK cabinets in my area, but recently several barcades in my area of had it and I decided it was time to see if this game was really the legend I made it out to be. And before i get into my thoughts on the original Mortal Kombat, I do understand that perhaps its most lasting legacy was its lifelike violence for the time which earned it a lot of media attention, political scrutiny, and parental ire. It was because of this that this game was allowed to prosper and gain the reputation it did amongst gamers, however playing it now I'm thinking that's about all this game was. Mortal Kombat is a pretty shallow, mundane, and pretty simplistic fighting game. The controls are two strengths of punches and kicks, and blocking, that's it. There are special moves and of course Fatalities, but there is little to make it stand out from the pack. Fatalities got a lot of attention back in the day, but my issue with them in this game and all the original 3 MK games is how ridiculous it is to input the right buttons to do them. I'm sure with a ton of practice anyone could figure them out, but for the casual player they were a bit ridiculous. I also feel like the special moves like Sub Zero's ice blast or Kano's energy boomerang were not streamlined until later games. The OST is nothing that great either, but does at least compliment the spooky asian, martial arts setting the game is going for. Speaking of the visuals, the graphics have a charm to themselves that I actually feel is a big part of this games continued appeal; more than anything I enjoy looking at the character models, stages, and other visual details which really made this game feel different than most other games in the arcades at that time. And then of course there's the blood and gore, which you have to mentioned when discussing the visuals. Despite all this, playing the first Mortal Kombat game how it was meant to be played, in the arcade, is a bit like meeting someone you idolized heavily growing up, only to meet them as an adult and find that they weren't even remotely as great as they appeared to be when you were younger. The game is by no means bad, just pretty mediocre overall, particularly because of the very basic gameplay. This was improved, along with everything else in later installments, but for what it's worth, Mortal Kombat is a fairly bland experience that's value in 2019 is more about nostalgia and the experience than the actual act of playing a great retro fighting game. (11/9/19) [28/50]

51. Pokemon Sword (Switch): Playing this game marked a very sad and unfortunate realization. Pokemon has meant a lot to me ever since it came out in North America in 1998. I was one of the first kids at my middle school to get into it and what ensued were some of most fondest, most cherished memories of my late childhood and early adolescence. I was into Pokemon at its height all the way past the release of Gold/Silver, however like many fads that kids get into I eventually lost interest and probably around 2001 or so I temporarily grew out of Pokemon. I remember getting somewhat excited about Sapphire/Ruby when that came out a few years later, so much so I bought them around the time they came out, but just couldn't get into them like I used to be. This is pretty much exactly what i'm experiencing right now with Sword/Shield; I feel like I'm literally forcing myself through this game, keeping boredom away by having Youtube videos on in the background or taking breaks in an attempt to recharge my interest. Essentially I could not even muster the motivation to play this game, and playing it more than half an hour just left me bored out of my mind and wanting to do something else. I believe the reason for this is because I've finally reached that point where the tried and true Pokemon formula has finally lost its appeal to me. Combine this with a lot of lackluster new Pokemon, the ultra gimmicky Dynamax system, and some very annoying characters that you're forced to interact with far too often and I literally could not do it anymore. After 7-hours it pains me to say that I'm abandoning Pokemon Sword. While this isn't the first game I've abandoned, it's the first one I've counted as playing despite abandoning it. The reason I never counted any other games that I gave up on in the past was because part of me didn't feel like I deserved to include it in my tally for the year. However, I feel like playing a game you gave an honest effort to enjoy, but fell far short of that deserves some kind of recognition. I am not going to give this game a score since I didn't finish it, or come close to finishing it, but it is worth noting that I did play it for a reasonable duration of time. It makes me sad that a Pokemon game will be the first to employ this system. (11/16/19) Abandoned

52. Shenmue III (PS4): See below for my full review. (11/24/19) [48/50]

53. World of Heroes Perfect (PS2): I'm pretty well versed in all the main Neo Geo fighting games from the 90s, however one series that I have nearly no experience with at all is the World of Heroes series. I've always had minimal interest in these games, mostly because I almost never hear anything about them, and tonight I found out why that is. Compared to nearly all of its mainstream contemporaries, including many other Neo Geo fighting games of the time, World of Heroes Perfect is pretty bad. The only somewhat redeemable thing it has going for it is its visual presentation, which is decent, but nowhere on par with pretty much most other 2D fighting games released in 1995; the graphics are fairly plain and slightly blurry, obscuring a lot of detail that would otherwise be a welcome addition. However, the character sprites and animated backgrounds in the stages are decent enough for the most part. Now that I've been nice, now to why this game sucks. The soundtrack is very, very lacking and has no kick or ring to it that gets you pumped while playing. As for the sound Fx, it's mostly the same grunts and screams coming from each character, which even during the course of a single match will start to get on your nerves. This could maybe be forgiven if World of Heroes played like a competent, good fighting game, but it does quite the opposite. Controls are very stiff, mid air attacked are unresponsive to the point of feeling useless, special moves are very minimal and overly cumbersome to pull off, and there is no presence of character balancing or real depth at all. Most matches felt like a slap fight to see who would die first. This game lacks nearly all the fluidity and balance that make games like King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, and Street Fighter II so awesome. In the end I felt pretty bored while playing World of Heroes Perfect. If this is the best this series has to offer (presumably since it was the last title released in the franchise), then I have almost no hope for the three games that come before this one. Unless you have a mad touch of nostalgia for this game, it's best ignored and forgotten. (11/26/19) [17/50]

54. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (PS4): I remember last summer watching gameplay for Jedi Fallen Order at EA's E3 showcase and being cautiously interested in this game. Sure, the gameplay looked cool and fun, but I wasn't sure how interesting this game would be from a story perspective given the tripe we've got from Disney over the last couple years in the form of The Last Jedi, Solo, and the Resistance TV series. Star Wars has been a very damaged brand as of late, so my skepticism was high when it came to this game and how much i'd enjoy it. Then it was released and I heard nothing but great things about it, not just from video game sites, but also the Star Wars community which has mostly held the same disenchantment with the franchise since Disney purchased Lucasfilm. It was mostly the latter endorsement that had me the most interested, so i ponied up $60 and bought it the day after it came out. I expected to like Jedi Fallen Order at this point, but what ended up happening is I ended up loving it, like way more than I ever thought I would. By far the best part of this game is it's story and characters which are absolutely Star Wars to the core; this is the most authentic Star Wars experience I've had since watching Revenge of the Sith back in 2005. There were many parts in the story that made me laugh, fanboy out, and even cry. Yes, this game actually made me cry at one point with how tragic and impactful a specific part was. Beyond being an outstanding entry to the Star Wars canon, Jedi Fallen Order also looks and sounds quintessentially Star Wars in nearly every way. Visually this game was very, very impressive; the various planets you visit feel very different from one another not just in one is a snow planet and the other is a lush rain forrest, but the attention to detail in geography, architecture, layout, history, and so many other facets absolutely enhanced the immersion I felt whole playing this game exponentially. As for the sound, the game nailed the voice acting and sound effects, however the OST, which was mostly originally didn't hit me as much as John William's original compositions for the saga. That's not to say they were bad, but I realized how much less impactful they were when music composed by John Williams did come on and I realized that the original musical contributions just weren't on the same level. Still, it felt Star Wars and that's all I really wanted in the end. Finally, there's the gameplay of Jedi Fallen Order which was a bit of a mixed bag for me, but overall great. The combat was definitely good, and as many have said very reminiscent of the Souls franchise. However, like the Souls games, the combat was sometimes very clunky and cheap at times which created frustration for me at various parts throughout the game. The other huge piece of the gameplay is the exploration part which felt very similar to another well known franchise, Uncharted (or Tomb Raider if you prefer). Exploring the various planets was actually one of my favorite parts of the game, especially since in doing so you often find various cosmetic upgrades to your character, your ship, and even your droid companion. You also find parts for you lightsaber which you can customize as well. Throw in your ability to use the force in different ways while exploring and you have a recipe for awesome! I almost cannot recommend this game enough, especially to anyone who has been less than happy with the direction Disney has taken Star Wars in recent years. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is a phenomenal game and is certainly the best Star Wars game I've ever played. Even beyond that it is one of the best video games I've ever played, ever. (11/28/19) [47/50]

55. Blood (PC): Blood is a game I've wanted to play for a long, long time. The first time I ever heard of this game was from a good friend of mine in elementary school whose dad was a huge PC gamer at the time. My friend would talk about this game as well as quite the cultists in the game. Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to play Blood since I didn't have a PC until a few years later, and by then I was too busy playing other things. Fast forward midway through this decade and I came across a youtube channel that I'm still a subscriber too and still like quite a bit; I'm talking about GGGmanlives who if you don't know is a huge FPS fan and this is one of his all time favorite FPS games. Watching his review of it got me ultra hyped about wanting to play Blood, and also around that time I built my current gaming PC. Given Blood's widespread availability on various digital platforms, often for super cheap I bought the game without a second though. Unfortunately, yet again, it took me several more years to play it, but here I am finished with the four episodes that comprised the original game before the expansions with a review and some opinions about this game. Blood is one of those highly praised old school FPS games that people like to bring up in the same conversations as games like Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. While I don't disagree with it being placed on the same platform as those games, it also shares a lot of the issues and frustrations that was almost a hallmark of 90s FPS games. First off, yes, this game is fun, fast paced and delivers on all the gloriously 2D violence of FPS games from the 90s. However, it also has some questionable, if not just bad gameplay and level design issues that really drag this game and other games like it from that era down. For example, it's pretty annoying to open a door have an enemy point blank you before you've even had time to react. This happens a lot in blood, along with characters being hidden behind you in seemingly empty corners. For someone on a first time playthrough, or really anyone who hasn't played the game back and forth over and over, this results in a lot of really cheap damage taken. Regarding the level design, most levels in Blood are pretty fun, to plain good, but many others are just poorly designed with a lot of backtracking through areas where you've wiped out everything. While most of the levels themselves are pretty interesting, borrowing from a lot of horror themes and movies, having to backtrack as much as you do in Blood really drags down each level's pacing. my other gripe is that the first episode in the game, which you'd think would be the easiest is probably the hardest on account that ammo and health is sparse, and I dare say that it gives an almost unrepresentative impression of the rest of the game where these things are in abundant supply. As I said, there is a lot borrowed from horror movies and literature, and depending on your fandom of these things your mileage will vary. Still, combining these things with very well done 2D sprites, horror themed levels and weapons, and lines from the protagonist referencing a lot of horror pop culture make for a pretty good time overall. The sound in Blood is pretty good overall. The voice acting from the main character can be amusing although he speaks so infrequently it's almost not worth mentioning. The music is appropriately horror themed and really complements the look and vibe of the game, although I didn't feel like many of the tracks really stood out for me. There were a few "tracks" if you can call them that towards the very end of the game which got very, very annoying to the point where I turned the sound off completely so I wouldn't have to hear them anymore. Without spoiling anything, imagine kids shouting at you in the back of the car saying something along the lines of "are we there yet? are we there yet?" and that kinda sums it up. Aside from that the sound quality was above average for the most part. Overall, Blood is a pretty fun, challenging FPS game from the 90s, that possesses all the things that made games from that period great, but also the things that made them frustrating, annoying, and cheap as well. (12/5/19) [36/50]

56. Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout (PS1): In the late 90s and early 2000s I was obsessed with Dragon Ball Z, and pretty much the entire Dragon Ball franchise. I remember learning about GT on the internet and wanting nothing more than to watch this series, which wouldn't be officially released in North America for several years after I somewhat got out of DBZ. But anyhow, while finding out all that I could about Dragon Ball GT I found out that there was actually a Dragon Ball GT game released in North America in 1997, and I nearly lost my mind! Of course upon trying to find this game, it was out of print and every copy on Ebay was going for around $200 which was way more many than I had. However, if I had the money I would have bought it at that price without a second thought. I'm now forever grateful I never was able to do that. To put it bluntly, Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout is one of the worst fighting games I've ever played. So much about this game is broken and poorly designed that even the most diehard Dragon Ball fans would have a hard time enjoying this one, even by the standards of 1997. The controls are very delayed and unresponsive, the hit detection is atrocious, and this game literally has unbreakable combos called Meteor Attacks that can pretty much drain 90% of your health bar from 100% full. The gameplay is just a total mess that is only aided by the fact that you can unlock characters (although most of these unlocked characters or just the Super Saiyan versions of characters you can play as default), there's a semi interesting training mode that allows you to make characters stronger, and there is a tournament mode. Other than that this game is a total mess. Visually the game looks pretty bad too, with very blocky depictions of the Dragon Ball fighters, and very plain, uninteresting levels for the most part. The audio is equally bad, but kind of hilarious at the same time. Parts of the character dialogue is dubbed in english, specifically when selecting a character and at the end of a fight when a character wins. However the voices during the fights are still in Japanese; the result is hearing a very adult male sounding Goku at the character select screen, followed by Goku sounding like a 70-year old screaming Japanese woman while fighting. The soundtrack is severally lacking with no traces of the OST from the show present outside a remixed version of the Japanese DBZ theme during the ending credits. When Dragon Ball GT: Final Bought released in 1997 it was all we had, and based off that alone I guess I'd say it was worth getting only if you were a hardcore Dragon Ball fan at the time, and you were able to get the game at or below retail. However, there is almost no reason at all to own or play this game now unless you want it for sentimental or collecting purposes. The game is terrible. (12/8/19) [18/50]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 10:04:44 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2019, 12:47:33 am »
Gunning for the Platinum is Spider-Man.  Super fun game, and actually a fun collectathon!

I did get the Platinum for this yesterday.  Completing all of the random crimes got just a hair too grindy for my taste at the very end, but the combat was fun enough that I didn't let it stop me.  Overall a very solid fun game.

« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2019, 05:58:37 am »
39 - Death Stranding (PS4 2019) - BEAT - Having just beat the game, I think I am just way to exhausted to give this a proper review lol This game is ALOT.  It's gonna be very divisive due to its gameplay loop, but I got super addicted to it.  It's that right kind of busy work, combined with the right rewards and interesting story that kept me wanting to do more and more.  I eventually hit a point where I just wanted to beat the game, but I think I had beaten most of the game at that point.

That said, despite being divisive, this is an incredibly well crafted game no matter how you look at it.  Good feeling gameplay, the visuals are top notch, and the acting and voice work hits kind of a new technical level in gaming.  Not every character hits that, but a few in particular are fantastic.  The setting is awesome, I love it, the story though...it's generally good, it's a lot of the inbetween and some of the story beats that it gets kinda rough, and there is absolutely stuff I feel lost with lol I can't lie though and say I didn't get abit emotional at a point or two.

Overall, it's a hard game to recommend because of what the game is, but it's quite an experience no matter what.

« Reply #208 on: November 23, 2019, 04:52:54 pm »
I just beat Cuphead this morning, and I’ve passed my 2018 total, but just a hair short of 52.

« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2019, 10:39:19 pm »

Well I reached 52 games for the year, and what a way to reach that magical number. Given Shenmue III has been my most wanted game for over a decade I only felt it was appropriate to write up a pretty thorough, extensive review of it. So here you go!

52. Shenmue III (PS4): It is a bit crazy to me that I'm here writing a review for Shenmue III; a game I was so certain for so long would never be made, and here I am, fresh from beating the sequel to my two favorite games I've ever played and I can safely say Shenmue III was everything I ever wanted it to be...well almost. Here is my spoiler free review of Shenmue III.

Perhaps Shenmue III's biggest strength is how it managed to capture the look, feel, and presence of Shenmue nearly two decades after the last installment was released. However, what's most remarkable about this is that it also manages to give Shenmue a polish and luster that neither of its predecessors had as a result in massive leaps in technology since the days of the Dreamcast. The end result is a game that looks both beautiful and modern, yet 100% authentic. Shenmue's graphics, especially those of the various landscapes, cities, architecture, furniture, people, and virtually everything else that inhabits this game looks excellent.

Now, before people start jumping down my throat and saying how this game doesn't even come close to touching games graphically like Uncharted 4 or The Witcher 3, let me explain. As I said above, this game retains all of its visual authenticity. If this game had gone for an almost photorealistic look like the two aforementioned games, that authenticity would have been lost. Instead we still have characters with grossly exaggerated features, for better or worse. We still have rooms littered with objects and props for you to rummage through, and we still have a world that is more reminiscent of an anime or manga, than we do a realistic Hollywood movie. However, all these things were updated visually as much as they possibly could have without making one doubt for a second that they were playing a Shenmue game. And for that they nailed it!

When talking about the authentic Shenmue experience, you can't go without talking about Shenmue III's increible, beautiful soundtrack, as well as it's so bad it's good voice acting. The Shenmue series has always had amazing, memorable music and Shenmue III's soundtrack is no exception. There are new tradition Chinese and asian instrumental songs, as well as remixed versions of previous Shenmue music that absolutely add to the game's epic scope. As mentioned, the cheesy, at times laughable voice acting is also carried over into the third game, with many conversations between Ryo and other main characters as well as NPCs having that awkward charm that the previous two games had in spades. While some might see this as a negative, it has always been a trait of endearment for Shenmue fans, again making this game feel 100% like a Shenmue game.

One last note on the topic of Shenmue III's authenticity. Shenmue III is very much so a throwback title in every regard. We have seen many modern throwback video games that attempt to emulate the look and feel of games from the 8 or 16-bit era, however we are much less accustomed to games that attempt to capture the look, feel, and gameplay of a game made in the late 90s and early 2000s. Like those modern 8 and 16-bit throwback titles, Shenmue III takes the template of games from the era it is trying to emulate while making those games look and play better while staying faithful to the era of which it is taking inspiration. There is a bit of controversy about the quality of games from the 6th gen period, but it is undeniable that this era of gaming produced some of the best video games ever made, absolutely including the first two Shenmue games. It is for that reason that I am judging the gameplay of Shenmue III from more the perspective of a game released 18-years ago than a game released in 2019. Although, there definitely needs to be some consideration of advancement to Shenmue III's gameplay as they relate to how video games have evolved since the days of the original two Shenmue titles.

Shenmue III plays very much so like the first two games. You are tasked with finding clues about your father's murder and many different sub goals that are inevitably leading to your goal of revenge. You accomplish this by asking the various NPCs and side characters questions related to the problem at hand, whether that's finding a specific person or place, or gaining info on a particular subject. The bits of info often lead to some sort of revelation at some point that has baring on the story as a whole. In between however you are given the freedom to do many, many different activities including various forms of gambling, chopping wood for money, practicing martial arts, shopping, buying capsule toys, blowing off steam in an arcade, or foraging for herbs, just to name a few. Even by today's standards the variety and breadth of things you can do in Shenmue III is excellent, and in 1999 when this game came out it was astonishing.

As for getting to and from where you need to go, controls are very faithful to the original two games, meaning they are somewhat stiff and tank-like. Ryo's movements could have been a little more agile during regular gameplay, but again, it's hard to say how authentic the game would have been if he controlled more like Nathan Drake rather than Ryo Hazuki. Movements are not restricted to just waling around the towns and villages the game lets you explore; martial arts have been a cornerstone of the Shenmue experience since the first game and Shenmue III dramatically improves this system by not only improving gameplay during fighting gameplay, but the story itself heavily revolves around Ryo's desire to master Kung Fu in order to accomplish various sub goals throughout the game, and inevitably have what it takes to avenge his father against the formidable Lan Di. This is accomplish by incorporating a leveling system when it comes to Ryo's kung fu ability which effects his HP and attack stats. Further complimenting these more RPG-like aspects, you must also keep Ryo's stamina up with food, as well and budget to purchase move scrolls which expand Ryo's plethora of moves that came be used on the many opponents you will fight during the game. The need for food also comes into play during basic gameplay where it can be kind of annoying, however it makes you budget for what sort of resources you need for the day ahead, increasing the depth of immersion that Shenmue III does an excellent job at.

There are however several shortcoming when it comes to gameplay however that need to be mentioned. Perhaps the biggest one has to do with the lack of licensed Sega arcade games in the various arcades throughout the game. Fans of the first two games will no doubt remember how awesome it was to play Space Harrier or Hang On at the You Arcade in Yokosuka, or finding the Outrun and After Burner machines in Shenmue II. There's no doubt that the reason for these games being excluded from III is because of licensing and this game working in an independent development budget, but it would have been nice to have at least one licensed classic Sega arcade game present. The game teases you with official posters of the mentioned games, as well as other games like Virtua Fighter 3, but none are anywhere in the game to be played. Maybe they'll get included at some later date, but for the time being you are forced to play mediocre carnival like games instead and a very crude Virtua Fighter II knock off using fat duck things that plays almost nothing like Virtua Fighter. We can only hope that future updates are applied to make Shenmue III's arcades a lot more interesting.

The licensing issue in the arcade extends to the capsule toys you can collect as well. Aside from chibi Senmue character capsule toys, no other licensed Sega properties are present in Shenmue III, meaning no cool Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Alex Kidd, or any other toys you can obtain. Instead you are given the option to collect mini fire extinguishers, plastic gems, or mini Buddhist statues from the games many capsule toy machines. It's about as fun and interesting as it sounds. Speaking of capsule toys, the monetary system in this game is a bit weird. You have actual money in the form of Chinese Yuan, but for whatever reason all the gambling is done using tokens that you have to purchase. The tokens are then accumulated through playing Lucky Hit, Turtle Racing, Street Fighting, and various other gambling activities, which then can be redeemed at designated Prize redemption shops throughout the game. You then have to go around and pawn whatever gifts you chose to redeem your tokens for, which then are converted back to Yuan. If that sounded overly complicated and annoying that's because it is. I don't know what the development staff's thinking was in making this a predominant form of making money in the game, but it would have been far simpler and enjoyable if Yuan and only Yuan was used for all gambling and purchasing activities. Regardless, those Tokens can be exchanged for items you can either choose to Pawn or keep, including various outfit changes to Ryo which add a cool new feature to Shenmue III.

And last, and certainly not least is Shenmue III's story, which is arguable the most important part of the entire game. It was the story that left nearly one in suspense since 2001, and what kept us all wondering what would happen next in this epic tale. Shenmue III's story is interesting and does explain various things about the plot that we had all been wondering all this time, however this game doesn't do a ton to move the overall story along. Fortunately we do find out what lay beyond the cave that Shenmue 2 marooned us in, as well as info on the mirrors, more back story into specific characters, and a finale that many of us have been waiting for, but despite all this it feels like little is pushed forward at all during the events of Shenmue III. There is also an issue as it pertains to the development of Shenhua and Ryo's relationship which for a while, and without spoiling anything, becomes very intriguing and then suddenly and disappointingly just drops off midway through the game without things developed before being carried through the remainder of the game. I apologize for the vagueness of this statement, but for the sake of keeping this review spoiler free I kind of have to be.

I really get the impression that this chapter in the Shenmue Saga was really about Ryo's development as a martial artist with most other aspects of the story, plot, and character development of other characters taking a back seat to this. While this is interesting in its own right, there is a lot to be desired in this regard. However, the reason I'm not flat out calling Shenmue III's story mediocre is because it is a piece of the entire puzzle that will be answered (hopefully) in the greater Shenmue Story. Given Director and Creator Yu Suzuki's admission that Shenmue IV and possibly Shenmue V would be needed to conclude the Shenmue Saga, I feel like there is still a ton of potential to be fulfilled not only from Shenmue III, but the other games as well. Still, if I had to pick the single biggest disappointment with Shenmue III, the story and various plot elements would be it.

In the end, your mileage with Shenmue III will vary greatly on your history with the franchise as well as your level of fandom going into it. If you are a long time fan or at least a casual fan of the previous games, you will thoroughly enjoy and appreciate what Ys Net and Suzuki's team have accomplished here. It is hard to imagine a more faithful sequel to Shenmue II even with the spread of 18-years between them. However, if you've never played a Shenmue game or you have and didn't like them, this game is not going to change your mind about the series. Shenmue III is as much a love letter to the fans of the series as it is the next chapter in the Shenmue saga; there are flourishes and tributes to the previous games and the Shenmue fanbase all throughout the game, and it these elements that remind anyone playing Shenmue III why this game exists and who it was made for. Overall, Shenmue III is the game I wanted it to be in nearly every way, and even in the various ways it underdelivered, it still did almost nothing to diminish my enjoyment of this excellent, long awaited, and much anticipated game that I will be forever grateful exists for everything to play. (11/24/19) [48/50]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:10:59 am by bikingjahuty »