Author Topic: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?  (Read 6392 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 12:52:53 pm »

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 03:01:15 pm »
Seriously? And you're gonna try to make a funny meme about it and everything? Wow. All blu-ray drives can also read DVDs and CDs. Just like all DVD drives can also read CDs.

Yeah, I'll meme it up whenever the time calls for it. Why? Do memes offend you, too?

You just recently learned that the PS4 doesn't read CDs, so I can understand you being thick-headed. Just Google this shit up and learn for yourself why the PS4 doesn't read CDs if you don't want to take my word for it.

It's not that hard to be a civil instead of an abrasive dick. (Especially since you're wrong, lol.) Anyone that knows a damn thing about computer tech can tell you blu-ray drives are inherently backwards compatible. So then yeah, blu-ray drives can read all optical media. There is not a single TECHNICAL reason why the PS4 cannot play audio CDs, which was my point to begin with. Sony specifically made it not be able to read audio CDs. It can read DVDs, still.

Sony pushing their steaming service seems to be the most logical reason. The hardware has absolutely zero to do with it "plain and simple".

the ps4 is proof that this isn't always the case

Sure most blue ray players also play audio cd's but apparently it isn't a guarantee there are some optional pieces of tech to make that happen.

extra manufacturing costs + licensing fee's per ps4 unit to philips for music cd's in an era where it's so easy to listen or copy music to other devices. music cd's are expensive.

Aside from hardcore music collectors, who is ever going to copy music onto a cd. it's such a hassle compared to literally downloading it within a few seconds to another device.

I really don't see the loss here honestly, hardcore cd collectors have a quality standalone cd player and the newer generations do not give a shit.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:14:31 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 03:51:37 pm »
It's not that hard to be a civil instead of an abrasive dick. (Especially since you're wrong, lol.) Anyone that knows a damn thing about computer tech can tell you blu-ray drives are inherently backwards compatible. So then yeah, blu-ray drives can read all optical media. There is not a single TECHNICAL reason why the PS4 cannot play audio CDs, which was my point to begin with. Sony specifically made it not be able to read audio CDs. It can read DVDs, still.

Sony pushing their steaming service seems to be the most logical reason. The hardware has absolutely zero to do with it "plain and simple".

Well, firstly, in regards to the "being civil" comment; I was from the get-go - using a meme and making a throwaway comment doesn't make me a boor. Thank you for the compliment, anyway.

Now, I must say that I like the boastful confidence you show in telling me I'm wrong. Yes, there are many blu-ray drives that will indeed read CDs just the same way they do DVDs; however, this is not always the case. As sworddude pointed out, certain "pieces of tech" are needed to achieve this. This is irrelevant, though because we're not talking about what's "standard" in a blu-ray drive, this whole time all we've been doing is talk about the blu-ray drive in the PS4, that's been the context of this discussion since the moment you dragged it in from elsewhere. As you said, "Sony specifically made it not be able to read audio CDs.", which is something I alluded to since my initial post; they were pushing their streaming service (as droaa stated) and were being stingy in the process. The blu-ray drive in the PS4 doesn't read your precious CDs because it doesn't have the hardware (i.e. "pieces of tech") required to play them, plain and simple. When I say that I'm not referring to the drive itself but that other particular component that Sony strategically decided to take away. That is the "TECHNICAL" reason why the PS4 can't read your audio CDs.

Meh.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:51:19 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 04:32:56 pm »
There is no hardware reason why the PS4 can't play CDs.  It's entirely a software limitation.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2020, 04:36:56 pm »

Well, firstly, in regards to the "being civil" comment; I was from the get-go - using a meme and making a throwaway comment doesn't make me a boor. Thank you for the compliment, anyway.

Now, I must say that I like the boastful confidence you show in telling me I'm wrong. Yes, there are many blu-ray drives that will indeed read CDs just the same way they do DVDs; however, this is not always the case. As sworddude pointed out, certain "pieces of tech" are needed to achieve this. This is irrelevant, though because we're not talking about what's "standard" in a blu-ray drive, this whole time all we've been doing is talk about the blu-ray drive in the PS4, that's been the context of this discussion since the moment you dragged it in from elsewhere. As you said, "Sony specifically made it not be able to read audio CDs.", which is something I alluded to since my initial post; they were pushing their streaming service (as droaa stated) and were being stingy in the process. The blu-ray drive in the PS4 doesn't read your precious CDs because it doesn't have the hardware (i.e. "pieces of tech") required to play them, plain and simple. When I say that I'm not referring to the drive itself but that other particular component that Sony strategically decided to take away. That is the "TECHNICAL" reason why the PS4 can't read your audio CDs.

Meh.

No. Just no. That's not the case. The blu-ray drive in the PS4 can play audio CDs if it was in any other device. It's just Sony deciding they don't want it to. There is no piece of hardware inside of it or missing from it that is preventing it from playing audio CDs.

If that's the case, please pzeke, or sworddude, point out the piece of hardware that it's missing or is preventing it from playing audio CDs.

And I didn't drag anything from another post. The original poster in the original post of this thread was talking about it, which I was responding to.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:39:13 pm by burningdoom »

telly

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2020, 05:21:45 pm »
I don't know if this is the true, but apparently the PS4 has only 650nm (DVD) laser and 450nm (Blu-Ray) laser, but does not have 780nm laser for CDs.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2020, 05:32:53 pm »
I don't know if this is the true, but apparently the PS4 has only 650nm (DVD) laser and 450nm (Blu-Ray) laser, but does not have 780nm laser for CDs.

So there it is. That's the piece of hardware it's lacking.

With a little Google digging, I found that it uses a KES-860 PHA drive. I cannot find any technical specifications about that drive, though. Only that it's for sale online.

sworddude

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2020, 05:35:51 pm »

So there it is. That's the piece of hardware it's lacking.

With a little Google digging, I found that it uses a KES-860 PHA drive. I cannot find any technical specifications about that drive, though. Only that it's for sale online.

let's not forget the licensing/royalties  fee's to philips if they where getting that extra laser for cd's
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:04:40 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2020, 05:59:37 pm »
Search Results
(Featured snippet from the web)
While the PS4's optical drive supports DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, it unequivocally cannot read audio CDs – the first time this hack has ever heard of an optical drive with this limitation. ... Which in this case means PS4 games exclusively, because the PS4 doesn't support any PS3, PS2, or PSOne games.

So it must be a hardware or software hack according to this.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:01:54 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 07:37:11 pm »
everything Ive read regarding bluray drive specifications is that the red laser included in blu-ray drives handles both wavelengths.

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 04:40:50 am »
everything Ive read regarding bluray drive specifications is that the red laser included in blu-ray drives handles both wavelengths.

if the hardware is actually available to read audio discs on the ps4

Wouldn't there have been some ps4 mods by now to read cd's.

I haven't seen any audio cd mods so i highly doubt it's just some software that prevented you from using it. it's a bit more complicated than that if I had to guess probably missing some tech/hardware to actually read cd's in wich even mods can't get it to work.

pzeke

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 05:46:55 am »
Okay, so I was waiting to get back home to check the PS4 user's manual (safety guide), which is actually what I was initially going to do instead of replying, but I was bored out of my mind, so blame my inability to remain still while meandering around the Internet on a "workday". Amidst all this discussion, I recall seeing there that the PS4 doesn't play CDs, but somehow misremembered the guide also stating that the blu-ray drive didn't include the laser specific for CD playback. Well, long story short, my replies were mainly based on anecdotal information that I read or heard, which inevitably were erroneous.

As the image below indicates...

The PS4 has three lasers, one being for CDs.

So, other than Sony's penchant to push their failed streaming service, it all boils down to a licensing issue, or in other words them being cheap.

Now, at the risk of being an obstinate fool, I still believe there's some piece of hardware missing solely based on what I read/heard, but I honestly don't have the will (or the time) to go on an expedition to verify this, nor the skills needed to disassemble my PS4 and check myself. But hey, my apologies - to err is human, as the saying goes.

As far as I know, that's for the original; the PS4 Slim (CUH-2115B), which is the one I have, uses KEM-496AAA.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:51:59 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 08:19:16 am »
There are several articles out there, presumably covering one interview (could be multiple), where someone from Sony mentions that the systems team was looking at including audio CD capabilities through a system update.  Obviously that never happened, but it sounded like that was their intent from the beginning, to maybe include it through an update.

sworddude

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2020, 01:12:21 pm »
There are several articles out there, presumably covering one interview (could be multiple), where someone from Sony mentions that the systems team was looking at including audio CD capabilities through a system update.  Obviously that never happened, but it sounded like that was their intent from the beginning, to maybe include it through an update.

if it was just an update, why not just jailbreak the ps4 mod it and make it work

I haven't seen an audio cd app to play them on the ps4

if it was just an official update in wich it might eventually work you might expect it to doable to just crack the system and play music cd's on a ps2 when they haven't released it just yet, yet this isn't the case.

Still why would it need to be an official update doesnt make any sense if it's not implemented from the get go.

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 01:22:45 pm »

if it was just an update, why not just jailbreak the ps4 mod it and make it work

I haven't seen an audio cd app to play them on the ps4

if it was just an official update in wich it might eventually work you might expect it to doable to just crack the system and play music cd's on a ps2 when they haven't released it just yet, yet this isn't the case.

Still why would it need to be an official update doesnt make any sense if it's not implemented from the get go.
It's a two fold software issue.  The OS has to tell the reader to process the data, this is where the licensing from Philips or whomever comes into play.  Philips doesn't require licensing to use a 780nm wavelength laser, they require licensing to process data from their owned medium.  On the other side, there has to be software to do something with the data that is read, that is, needing an app to play music read from a CD.  I would venture to guess the reason no one has done it is because if you were to illegally add the ability to read CDs without someone paying Philips you're opening yourself to lawsuit, but that's really me guessing on that one.  I honestly have 0 knowledge of the PS4 modding scene, so I really couldn't say why it doesn't exist or if it doesn't exist.