Author Topic: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?  (Read 6353 times)

The PS4 can't play audio CDs?! :o

Just learned this.

That’s really weird. I would have lost money on that.
Same. Knowledge is power!

I saw this mentioned in the VGCollect Autonomous thread, but I didn't post this on there because I didn't want to but in and hijack the topic. So what is your further opinions on the 8th generation consoles?

Including the overall quality of the Xbox One and The PlayStation 4 and the Wii U. compared previous generations especially the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, and original Wii?

I'll start with SONY, first off the every single SONY console up until the PlayStation 4 could play music CD's and the PlayStation 2 and 3 also could and it was almost fully backwards compatible with previous generations.

I understand why the later model PlayStation 3's stopped PS2 (game disc) compatibility due to cut production cost. From what I also heard that the original  PlayStation 3's.

That were compatible with PlayStation 2 games, also had hardware issues. Yet I am vary thankful and grateful that all PlayStation 3 models successfully play PlayStation 1 games or at least most of the entire game library.

Now lets look at the Microsoft Xbox, first off the Xbox original could play music CD's and from what I heard also movie DVD's. and came with a harddrive built in. and my own Xbox360 slim didn't have a hardrive built in.

But I'll admit I think buying the Xbox 360 slim's (internal) harddrive is worth every penny to preserve the consoles laser and hardware health. By playing all native Xbox360 games off the harddrive. but I did get a free built in memory stick on my own Xbox 360 for saving some patches and game progress

Although the Xbox 360 had a lot of known issues with it's hardware, as well. But it also played and allowed you to put songs from Music CD's on it's harddrive or memory stick. but I am not sure about movie DVDs. and the Xbox 360 it was partial in it's backwards compatibility with most Xbox original games.

Although I'll be honest, and tell you I never seen the improvement of the 8th generation of consoles with my own eyes. So I can't comment on the positives. the and graphical improvement everyone is raving and praising with both the Xbox One and The PlayStation 4 consoles.

But I did hear that the hardware is lasting longer, on the newer generation? does it?

I never owned a Wii U but I am not too much of a fan of the original Wii consoles, but the original Wii console was backwards compatible with the GameCube I think?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:50:13 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do You Think Modern Consoles Sunk In Quality In the 8th Generation?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 08:54:04 pm »
It has Spotify. I'll take that over music CD's.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 09:28:23 pm »
The quality didn't change, the features people look for changed.  CD's and backwards compatibility aren't that important anymore compared to back in the early to mid 2000's, it's more about streaming and digital content, so that's what the systems catered to.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:08:44 pm »
Is the games better? I know there is a lot of HD graphics, and enhancements to run on high end televisions, But does anyone know if the games themselves are better? in all of you guys opinions?

Me hearing about most of the games requiring online data downloads are the #1 reason why I don't obtain anything 8 generation even if it's used I still don't bite. #2 is the fact that the game could go offline whenever the company closes their server.

I already had one relative that bought a physical PC game that needed to be downloaded. a while back and never got a chance to play it. Because he didn't have the time to get to play it before the company took the game off the server. and it cost him either $30 or $60 USD. it was purchased new too  I have to ask him again, but he is vary angry about that.

But I have to admit neither SONY or Microsoft has closed down anything yet, 7th or 8th to my knowledge :-\

(edit) now what SONY did close was the PlayStation 3 CD track and song information server. Forcing people to input all the  music CD track and song information manually. Yea so unless you want your songs to all be called "track 1" and "track 2" and unknown artist and unknown album you can still rip it but it will suck

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:58:40 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 10:23:04 pm »
Is the games better? I know there is a lot of HD graphics, and enhancements to run on high end televisions, But does anyone know if the games themselves are better? in all of you guys opinions?

Me hearing about most of the games requiring online data downloads are the #1 reason why I don't obtain anything 8 generation even if it's used I still don't bite. #2 is the fact that the game could go offline whenever the company closes their server.

I already had one relative that bought a physical PC game that needed to be downloaded. a while back and never got a chance to play it. Because he didn't have the time to get to play it before the company took the game off the server. and it cost him either $30 or $60 USD. it was purchased new too  I have to ask him again, but he is vary angry about that.

Games being better are subjective, but there have been great games for sure.  Just with PS4 there's Bloodborne, God of War, Spider-Man, and others.  Games that look really good and play incredibly well.  Most games don't become unplayable, though it depends on if it's a multiplayer only game or not.  Some digital only releases could see removal too.  That being said, physical PC games are rarely actually physical anymore, haven't for years, most end up just being codes in a package.  I still try to grab them once in awhile for display sake, but I also just buy digital most of the time when it comes to PC.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 11:08:34 pm »

Xbox One has both.

I'm a collector, music CDs included. I moved my PS4 into the living room to be my new blu-player. Went to put in a CD to play through the sound system, and nothing happened. So I looked it up online and learned it just doesn't play them, I was very surprised.

If you have a disc drive already in the console, it is very little work to make a CD player program, or even allow for someone's else's CD playback to work on it. The Sega CD could do this, for crying out loud.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 12:02:50 am »

Xbox One has both.

I'm a collector, music CDs included. I moved my PS4 into the living room to be my new blu-player. Went to put in a CD to play through the sound system, and nothing happened. So I looked it up online and learned it just doesn't play them, I was very surprised.

If you have a disc drive already in the console, it is very little work to make a CD player program, or even allow for someone's else's CD playback to work on it. The Sega CD could do this, for crying out loud.

Take note "burningdoom" about the following regarding the SONY PS3 music server I forgot to mention

now what SONY did close was the PlayStation 3 CD track and song information server. Forcing people to input all the  music CD track and song information manually. Yea so unless you want your songs to all be called "track 1" and "track 2" and unknown artist and unknown album you can still rip it on any PlayStation 3 but it will suck

(edit) I just looked and saw you didn't own a PS3 :-\
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:07:56 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:18:44 am »
If I remember correctly, when the PS4 came out was when Sony was trying to push their Sony Music service which eventually was discontinued and Spotify took its place. I didnt know the PS4 couldnt read CDs until I saw that thread but honestly its not something I would lose sleep over and given that its been what 6 years since the PS4 came and no one mentioned it then by all accounts not a whole lot care.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 12:48:41 am »
I think the last CD I purposefully got was the Ocarina of Time soundtrack as a freebie for renewing a Nintendo Power subscription. The inability to play audio CDs is something I would not consider a dealbreaker (or even consider it at all).
Really the most important thing I look at about a game system is how well the games themselves play. Everything else is secondary, and if it doesn't have a particular feature, that's what all my other technological gadgets are for.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 12:18:12 pm »
The PS4 can't play audio CDs?! :o

Just learned this.

That’s really weird. I would have lost money on that.
Same. Knowledge is power!

I saw this mentioned in the VGCollect Autonomous thread, but I didn't post this on there because I didn't want to but in and hijack the topic. So what is your further opinions on the 8th generation consoles?

Including the overall quality of the Xbox One and The PlayStation 4 and the Wii U. compared previous generations especially the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, and original Wii?

I never owned a Wii U but I am not too much of a fan of the original Wii consoles, but the original Wii console was backwards compatible with the GameCube I think?

For my opinion on the Wii U, it's not the actual hardware which was a drop in quality compared to the predecessor the Wii; rather it was a mix of errors from Nintendo. The Wii U is widely considered one of Nintendo's biggest failures considering it had very large shoes and expectations to fill after a home-run like the Wii.

First of all, the NAME. Wii U? I still can't get over it, fans were confused. Is this an upgrade to the Wii? Is it an extension? In my opinion this already sunk the boat before it left the harbor.

Second, the impression people had of the new gamepad was not good, it just seemed like a giant ipad with two analog sticks. People's opinions on this are still mixed to this day, I personally don't really mind it but if the game has Wii U pro controller compatibility, i'm sure as heck going to use it.

Third, the game library was overall just extremely weak in comparison to other Nintendo console titles. Mario 3d world, breath of the wild, smash, mario maker, mario kart 8. I mean there's a few more here and there but that's really it. Due to how poorly the system and games sold, Nintendo ported most of the big hit titles to the Switch to try and leverage for their losses on the Wii U.

Overall, the system and presentation of the Wii U at launch just did not seem that innovative, it just seemed like a mildly upgrade wii. It didn't have people jumping out of their seats like the Wii or Switch.
I mean sure it was backwards compatible with the Wii but that's really all it had going for it in terms of additional features. The Mii universe is same old, the motion control same old. The Switch really brought back Nintendo from the dark ages.

dhaabi

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 12:21:16 pm »

Answers to this question will be heavily subjective. However, on a personal level, I will say that in addition to variety, many more titles released by smaller development teams were greenlit for publishing and even saw physical releases. For every PlayStation 3 title I'm interested in, four PlayStation 4 titles exist, and my collection clearly showcases that.

While many games these days have regular updates even on the day of their release, these often don't—if ever—impact my gaming experience. I never play online multiplayer games and instead focus on single-player experience. So with this said, I've personally never had a game become inaccessible for me to play. Any updates given are largely to fix small bugs or to give greater quality-of-life updates. If a game decides to add extra content for free at the cost of only downloading it, I'm never upset about it down the road. I understand that several weeks pass between a game going gold and it finally releasing; in this day and age, obviously a lot more work can be tacked on in solving problems. While I'm not an avid supporter of this practice and would rather expect a game to be as fully complete and problem-free as possible upon going gold, I know that the industry's standards are sharp and rigid with deadlines.

telly

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 12:30:42 pm »
Like others have stated, demand for physical music media has pretty much gone the way of the dodo now that streaming is the mainstay. Having Spotify on your PS4 really makes putting in a CD player feel pretty redundant if you ask me. Same reason why CD players have disappeared from cars. I've had some Denon audio equipment for 6 years now and it's worked fantastic. It's pretty basic, but also have it hooked up to my sub and my turntable. That's what I use to play CDs.

I probably stream about 90% of my music, but I also like purchasing music on CD or vinyl, especially if it's an artist I want to support. Artists have very few ways to make a living right now without being able to tour and with streaming services gouging out artists by paying out .005 cents for every play.
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 01:33:54 pm »
who uses a console as a music player, like seriously.

You want to play music during gameplay so if your going to use music cd's you have a seperate cd players next to the playstation 4 console.

you can't do both, it would be a waste to use a console just as a music player with so many options to listen music these days.

a seperate cd player ain't that pricy
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 02:14:26 pm »
who uses a console as a music player, like seriously.

You want to play music during gameplay so if your going to use music cd's you have a seperate cd players next to the playstation 4 console.

you can't do both, it would be a waste to use a console just as a music player with so many options to listen music these days.

a seperate cd player ain't that pricy

yes I can agree but :-\

When money was tighter for me I used my PlayStation 2 temporary for listening to music when my PC was down, (I would not recommend this because it ultimately killed one of my lasers.

portable CD players are pretty much junk,

they suck batteries dry and even with an AC adapter attached I wore my multiple CD players laser out constantly, As far as I know, PC, and laptops are pretty much the only (convenient) way today to rip a music CD collection and listen to it off it's harddrive, but. On my end Windows 10 cut Itunes off and left us with a slightly buggy Windows Media Player for ripping and Groove for the best player on the windows 10 PC's.

somebody mention that the Xbox One could be used for this I would like to hear more on that

I'll admit that there is a lot of other devices to play music CD's  What makes no sense to me about Sony is that as far as I know they produce music CD's themselves, and other brand name electronics. or at least they did in the 1990's I know. But maybe there trying to get people to buy a new Sony Brand stereo.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:20:43 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 02:21:21 pm »
Yeah, not everyone plays music CDs anymore, but plenty of people do or there wouldn't still be music sections of stores or record stores. That's as broad of a statement as saying everyone just downloads or streams games, nobody buys physical (which every single person here would cry out that they like physical better).

My point is that while it's not the main means of music anymore, it's not expensive or difficult to add an audio player app to something that already has a disc drive. Or if they didn't even want to bother with that, they could have just let you download another app from the PlayStation store. It literally would have only been an app approval for them and done. Not saying that I'm not gonna buy a console over that, though. Just saying it seems very lazy since it's so easy to do.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:37:02 pm by burningdoom »