Author Topic: How Many Collectors Only Collect What They Enjoy?  (Read 3196 times)

How Many Collectors Only Collect What They Enjoy?
« on: February 28, 2021, 06:32:50 pm »
I do collect only what I enjoy having, I am probably one of the only few people that for one, does not have a display setup. and sorts all my games based on type or genre instead of A-Z  so I can find all games easier and play exactly what I'm in the mood for at that time. I don't know why so many collectors don't shelf their games by console than by what kind of game it is.

I don't like to have games as shelf fillers, I think it's a waste of money, if I want to display something then I would rather buy a video game statue of some kind instead of a game I don't want
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telekill

Re: How Many Collectors Only Collect What They Enjoy?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 07:00:39 pm »
*raises hand*

Time and space is limited. If I'm going to collect a game, I'm going to or already have played it and want to continue to have access too it. Those that I've bought over time that I'm not a fan of, I generally will sell off.

Case in point.... I bought a PSV when it launched with Uncharted Golden Abyss. That's basically the only game that has kept me from selling off my PSV entirely. If a remaster of it would have been added to the Nathan Drake collection on PS4, I would have sold it off at that time. If they ever make a remaster of it for PS5, I'll sell my PSV paperweight.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 07:59:16 pm »
I do. Back when I first started, I picked up any cheap game I came across. And it just didn’t scratch any itch. It just had me wanting more. Any game I pick up, I feel I would get some fun out of it. There are still series out there I really want to check out. Most of them in the platforming and rpg genres.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 09:23:43 pm »
This is where I stand at the moment because there was a time when I buying whatever I could possibly get my hands on. Usually the justification was how cheap it was and I will get to it eventually. As time past and as more games I collected, the space where I was able to store these games became limited and it was starting to become clutter for me. Thing is I don't have a dedicated room for gaming so as a result buying big hauls for me are out of the question but most importantly, I was getting tired of having all these games at my disposal but never getting around to them. I bought them because I want to play them and not just sit around. Obviously if I had a room like that then who that's a different story but even then, I feel like those days for me are over and while I do still desire certain games to have as part of my collection, it's only a certain few and I've become a bit picky now.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 10:21:11 pm »
I do now. When I first really started collecting with 3DS I pretty much bought whatever. Now I only buy stuff I'm interested in playing.

megasilverx1

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 12:58:39 am »
I don't like the term collector, but I pretty much only collect games that look fun/something that I'd enjoy. Only problem is though is that I may not end up playing them for a while since I have a habit of replaying games I've played before rather than actually tackling my backlog.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 01:59:31 am »
I don't like the term collector, but I pretty much only collect games that look fun/something that I'd enjoy. Only problem is though is that I may not end up playing them for a while since I have a habit of replaying games I've played before rather than actually tackling my backlog.

me too :)

like I posted in a different thread. I have have a tremendous backlog, most of the games I play games I've played and go back to. It's hard for me to to stop playing a good game, and start something new even after I unlock or beat all of it's content. I want to eventually try each and every game to it's fullest but so many games I want to try.

plus music I want to hear more than my video games most of the time. It's going to be impossible to me to beat every single game in my collection even that I already have a copy of. Don't know how much longer I am going to live, just like everyone else, we all sometimes need to take it one day at a time and try to make ourselves happy.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

astralsoul

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 03:19:05 am »
It's mind blowing to me that people actually collect stuff they don't enjoy. I've talked to people that have collections with so many games they hate, some of those games worth a lot of money too. I just can't wrap my head around why they keep them. My best friend is not necessarily a collector but he keeps every game he buys and half of them he doesn't even like, and has held on to some seriously big ticket items, where if he sold every bad game he owns, he could probably buy car with it. Me though, I only own games i like. If I buy a game and don't like it, I sell it. My time, space and money are limited resources so why waste them on things you don't even like?

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 05:51:09 am »
I have some games in my collection I "hate" or don't like, like Rise of the Robots of Shaq Fu, but the majority of my collection to start is made of games I used to own as a kid or had to sell off when I hit some pretty serious bad times almost 20 yrs ago.  The rest are games I had rented or played at a friends house, or borrowed when we swapped systems for 2-3 months at a time (I had a SNES at first, friend had a Genesis, we wanted to play the other side so to speak so we traded systems for 2-3 months and had a BLAST), and while I still have some games to go on my "used to own" list that are prohibitively expensive (MMX3 USA and Final Fight 3 for example) I enjoy it all.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 06:48:52 am »
It's not that rare of an occurence to only collect what you enjoy but I wouldn't discredit all people who collect everything for the simple fact that they might actually enjoy it.

Full set collectors are a thing. and It could be funny to play some bad games. there are reasons to collect items that are not peak quality. you could say that for the 2 reasons i mentioned as some examples obviously there are tons more reasons but the people do enjoy such items than.

as far as grail games go that have insane prices. While the games might be bad they are at the very least interesting conservation pieces so saying that those won't be enjoyed ain't really true.

Also along the way you might actually find gems that you would have otherwise skipped but I guess you could do so withouth keeping filler titles aswell but that would require effort to sell those again.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:39:32 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 10:55:24 am »
With a handful of exceptions I'v always collected to play. Pretty much if I wanted it in my collection I had the intention of playing it down the road at some point. Whether this was next month, next year, or a decade later it was going to get played eventually.

I realized a few years ago that I had way, way more games in my collection than I'd ever have the time or energy to get to, as well as games that I fooled myself into thinking I'd pick up some day and play when in reality I probably wouldn't. As a result I've sold a decent amount of games that I was 99% sure I'd never touch and there are probably a decent amount still in my collection that fall into that category as well. But pretty much if it's a game I have no interest in or I know is a giant pile of poo then I have no desire to own it since I have no desire to play it.

kashell

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 11:10:46 am »
I've almost always collected games that I'd enjoy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 11:34:18 am »
That's all I've ever done. You won't find a single sports title in my collection besides Tony Hawk and WWE, or anything else I won't touch unless it's come from a lot I've bought and it just won't sell.

topspot123

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 03:39:14 pm »
I do collect only what I enjoy having, I am probably one of the only few people that for one, does not have a display setup. and sorts all my games based on type or genre instead of A-Z  so I can find all games easier and play exactly what I'm in the mood for at that time. I don't know why so many collectors don't shelf their games by console than by what kind of game it is.

I don't like to have games as shelf fillers, I think it's a waste of money, if I want to display something then I would rather buy a video game statue of some kind instead of a game I don't want

I'm with you. I don't pick up games that I haven't researched to try to determine if I'll like them and I don't buy any games I haven't heard of, with one exception.  I never mind picking up any pre-NES games if I find them pretty cheap. Like Atari 2600 or Intellivision or the like. But other than that, I keep my collection very curated to things that I like. The only real problem is that there's a lot of stuff I like!

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 05:12:40 pm »
Question:

Of course we know of collectors who go for obtaining full sets of every game that released for a system, sports and shovelware be damned, so are there known collectors who are trying to find *sealed* copies of everything, including those sports and shovelware games?

I ask because I have a copy of David Robinson's Supreme Court for the Sega Genesis that's unopened and still in shrink, I literally only bought it because it was like 3 dollars at a KB Toys many, many years ago. I never once entertained the thought it would be worth anything one day, just bought it because I thought it was funny to be buying a new Genesis game at a retail store in 2006.

Since any game is automatically more valuable if it's still in its original shrinkwrap, does this mean I now stand a chance of selling a completely unnoteworthy 16-bit basketball game to someone who feverishly desires the perfect, fully complete Genesis game library for a higher price than usual?