Author Topic: Should we create a [QC] TLD for Québec-specific releases?  (Read 504 times)

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

Should we create a [QC] TLD for Québec-specific releases?
« on: March 23, 2023, 05:20:02 am »
https://i.imgur.com/pyHn9dZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LmHbHId.jpg

Since it is stated that everything on the outside of an item's packaging can be used to differenciate between one release and another, I have this case to present to you. The PSP-1000K Value Pack bundled with Spider-Man 2. Everything else would make it just be a regular [NA] or [CA] release except for this Régie du Cinéma du Québec sticker on the outside, which is Québec-specific and not found anywhere else in Canada. How should I create this item in the database, could I have the blessings to use a [QC] TLD, or perhaps you'd prefer I just use (Québec) in the title? This cannot count as just a [CA] release unless you are willing to ignore the Québec-specific sticker altogether.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

dhaabi

Re: Should we create a [QC] TLD for Québec-specific releases?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 08:41:36 am »
According to Canada's ccTLD Wikipedia page, third- and fourth-level domains have existed but are now no longer available for use in registering new sites. At that time, Quebec was given the ccTLD of .qc.ca. Wikipedia only mentions that new sites can't utilize this sub-system, so some sites which were created when the system was in use may still use this format.

I would argue for formatting the name with (Québec), but perhaps others disagree.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 09:30:11 am »
Not using TLDs for states, only Hong Kong (prior to 1997) gets this distinction. Use the descriptor in the title such as (Régie du Cinéma du Québec)

Since the descriptor would be present, the item name would not get a TLD.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 11:08:29 pm »
I have three examples of PS2 covers that had art and label variations that only released in quebec. I'd like to add them to the site but I'm not sure how to distinguish them. I'd propose adding [CD > QC] to allow the province within the country, that way people that don't know QC can at least follow that it is within canada.
PSX LEGACY

A Physical Chronicle of games for posterity.

dhaabi

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 12:54:43 am »
I have three examples of PS2 covers that had art and label variations that only released in quebec. I'd like to add them to the site but I'm not sure how to distinguish them. I'd propose adding [CD > QC] to allow the province within the country, that way people that don't know QC can at least follow that it is within canada.

Just like we advised to leonefamily, if you are wanting to submit entries for items like this, rely on label information to utilize for adding a descriptor and not a TLD of any kind. If you need help determining what kind of descriptor should be used, post a link to the image for DB staff to provide suggestions.

As a small side note, CA is Canada—not CD. CD represents Democratic Republic of the Congo.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 09:56:32 am »
There was a translated Quebec-specific cartridge for A Link to The Past, and the copies of that game sold in the rest of Canada have the same ROM as the American version. This is a scenario that a [QC] TLD would work for.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 01:06:09 am »

Yeah.. let's not do that tho. Reminding people that Québec is technically inside Canada (which it was forced to be and should never have been) is like saying Crimea belongs to Russia. Because it's under foreign occupation doesn't mean it should be recognised as such. Since Québec is a nation but not an independent country and that TLDs have been decided to only be used for country-states recognised by the UN, then we'll use (Québec) in the title to differenciate something we're sure it has released only in Québec and not also outside of it (such as provinces of Canada). I've already created that item I used as an example for this thread under a (Québec) name distinction.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!