Author Topic: I'm thinking about selling my collection. Info needed and greatly appreciated  (Read 2255 times)

Hello everybody.  Since this is my first post on this forum I'll give a little background on myself.  I'm 36 and have been gaming for the majority of my life starting with Basic games on a Tomy Tutor all the way to now with the PS4.  Throughout the years I've been fortunate enough to put together a rather decent collection of games.  Admittedly it was never my intention for my neverending need to buy and play a new game to become a collection and because of that I've foolishly traded or sold key titles but what I still have isn't too shabby.  My collection includes games from the Master System, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS, Neogeo Pocket, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS, PS1, PS2, PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4, Xbox and Xbox360.  Somewhere I know I also have loose NES and Genesis.  The majority of my games are NTSC-U with a couple NTSC-J here and there.  With exception of a couple of games, all my games have been opened and played with but have been taken great care for. 

I'm now at a point in life where I just don't have the room for my collection and could honestly really use the money.  So with a heavy heart, I was hoping the forum could help me start off on the right track to sell my collection.  I've been trying to figure out the best way to go about this to maximize the value.  Is it better to sell individual titles as opposed to a video game lot?  Is there much of a market for graded titles making it worth the hassle and price?   Are there other sites I can/should list on other than Ebay? Any info and help given is greatly appreciated.  I would love for my games and consoles go to another collector.  Just so I know they would be given a good home. 

foxhack

Moving this to general. You'll get more answers there.

soera

If you are deciding to sell your games, there are a few basic rules.

1- Do not try to sell the whole thing as a bundle. It never works the way you want to. You either dont get anywhere close to what you would if you separate or it just doesnt sell.

2 - Offer items on forums such as here before you put them on Ebay. You save a lot of the fees here and can make a deal more fitting for both buyer and seller because of it.

3 - Have prices in mind. Listing stuff as "for offer" gets nothing accomplished. Also be willing to bargain a little and combine price.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

If you are deciding to sell your games, there are a few basic rules.

1- Do not try to sell the whole thing as a bundle. It never works the way you want to. You either dont get anywhere close to what you would if you separate or it just doesnt sell.

2 - Offer items on forums such as here before you put them on Ebay. You save a lot of the fees here and can make a deal more fitting for both buyer and seller because of it.

3 - Have prices in mind. Listing stuff as "for offer" gets nothing accomplished. Also be willing to bargain a little and combine price.

Sound advice.

Another note:

(Obviously) be familiar w/ the value / "going rate" of the items that you're looking to sell AND equally important - be familiar w/ the costs and/or %'s involved should you be selling via Amazon, e-bay, etc so you'll also recognize a fair, person to person cash (no-middleman) offer/price.

Full disclosure!

ALL of us here like (*Really*) like buying the best games possible for the lowest prices possible  :o

That said, you'll find a pretty fair, ethical, knowledgeable, helpful, well-meaning/intentioned, and honest group here...just something to keep in mind here (or on any similar types of sites).

*ALSO*

To the best of your ability - KNOW (read as much commentary & feedback as possible) who you're dealing with/selling to.

Best of luck!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

Everyone else has been pretty spot on with their advice, but I figured I'd address the grading aspect you asked about. Recently in another thread, someone made a good point that grading companies only grade sealed games, or games that never originally had packaging. It sounds like in your case, everything you have would have been opened (which is the way it should be  :P) so you couldn't get any of it graded.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

ill tell you something. i buy and sell alot(games and antiques) and everyone is right, ebay has fees and is annoying to deal with, bundles hurt the seller badly. i bought out a collection and i have been selling common titles on ebay(ones everyone pretty much has) and nearly all others on here on forums but if your looking to sell all.... there was a guy on here a year back or soo that needed money so he sold all of his collection, what he did was he had it all uploaded to his collection database and told everyone too go on and pm him what they wanted... lets just say that guy got good amount of $ from me alone(because he had good stuff and at good prices)... he got fast money and sold everything, he didnt have to deal with ebay. if i were too sell my whole collection thats what i would do, and then anything that doesnt sell on here i would either lower price or sell it on ebay. just remember if listing on here dont expect ebay prices, this isnt ebay lol
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

Thank you very much everyone!  I'm in the process of adding my games to my online collection.  Going through everything is bringing back some good memories.  I'll probably go the individual item sale route once I get everything together and do some price research. 

bobster

Well if you do end up selling anything, I know myself and a couple others here would be interested in your Dreamcast games :)
Currently Playing: The Witcher

(I'd definitely be interested in your Vita stuff)

Also, ALWAYS use paypal. Paypal can guarantee the buyer their money back so it makes people comfortable doing business and it allows you to dispute accusations (although it often boils down to hearsay).