Author Topic: April 2019 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 5377 times)

theflea

April 2019 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« on: April 07, 2019, 04:44:53 am »
I can't believe we're seven days in April and no one made a new pickups forum.
Anyway I got my console back and it works great.
Here's what was added to my collection this week.

SWITCH
- Golf Story
- Golf Story - Collector's Edition
- Dust: The Elysian Tail
- Dust: The Elysian Tail - Collector's Edition
- Fox n Forests
- Dead of Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlet

PS4
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (on sale for $5)
- Another World
- Another World - Collector's Edition
- Arizona Sunshine
- The American Dream
- Fox N Forests
- The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human

VITA
- Another World
- Another World - Collector's Edition
- Sayonara Umihara Kawase

Wii
- FIFA 15

NDS
- Puzzle Kingdom
- Kirby Canvas Curse

SCD
I've been wanting a good quality made of this never released Sega CD game.
- Penn & Teller's Smoke & Mirrors

NES
- Galf

And last another custom built Consolized Arcade Motherboard.
- The Sega Naomi
I made a deal with the seller to get both this and the PGM for a great price. But the Naomi had issues when I tried to use it and had to ship it back to be repaired. Works great now. Its basically the Mother of the Dreamcast.
 I also picked up a few games for it.
- Guilty Gear X
- Power Stone
- Zombie Revenge

Next week I'll be in Milwaukee for the Midwest Gaming Classic, Who knows what I'll find and bring home.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:53:35 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Re: April 2019 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:49:29 am »

The forum is dead for the most part and I don't necessarily think it's just our little forum. You can see the fatigue with collecting just about everywhere, even in the prices of a lot of games dropping. We are definitely on the decline in the hobby and it should be interesting to see how far it goes.

As for the pickups thread taking a week to get made, there isn't a ton to pickup anymore. I feel like whenever I score a really good deal it's like winning the lottery, both in terms of surprise and how uncommon it is lol. Typically when I post on here it's something I'm excited about that I picked up on ebay or a local store. I'm headed to a local collectors meetup this afternoon and most likely will be sharing my loot from that this evening :)

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 11:22:46 am »
For me personally. I kinda have everything what I want not much that I'm really looking for right now not to mention not really collecting new stuff.

Didnt collect for the sake of collecting though more for gameplay. 5 - 6 years ago I said to myself that I would have around 2000 games tops seeing as my count is at 2200 atm it Sounds about right.

Did have some deals over the weeks but for me it will slow down for sure. did pick up a few ntc exclusives so I'm pretty pleased

Atm i kinda have all my must haves so I'm golden personally not going to have tons of pickups like in the past.

Still some stuff that I'm looking for but the supply of old stuff coming on the markets fresh is ofcourse getting less and less. not to mention that the Stuff I'm seeking is kinda unusual so that doesnt help.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:30:23 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 01:11:25 pm »
Yeah, I don't feel like I get enough stuff to be interesting. All I got so far this month was Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists and a couple amiibo reprints. I'm trying not to buy too much stuff until I move later this year.

telly

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 01:29:25 pm »
I pretty much only buy 1 game a month so oftentimes I don't feel like it's worth posting about it  :-[
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 01:48:54 pm »

GAME has been having a great sale on PS3/360 games so been gathering a few here and there after work, pretty happy with Assasin's Creed Hertiage Collection for £1.99

theflea

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 08:30:25 pm »

The forum is dead for the most part and I don't necessarily think it's just our little forum. You can see the fatigue with collecting just about everywhere, even in the prices of a lot of games dropping. We are definitely on the decline in the hobby and it should be interesting to see how far it goes.

As for the pickups thread taking a week to get made, there isn't a ton to pickup anymore. I feel like whenever I score a really good deal it's like winning the lottery, both in terms of surprise and how uncommon it is lol. Typically when I post on here it's something I'm excited about that I picked up on ebay or a local store. I'm headed to a local collectors meetup this afternoon and most likely will be sharing my loot from that this evening :)

I get the frustration of finding games at good prices anymore. When I first started collecting games I could go to a garage sale late in the day and find old Atari, Nintendo, Sega, and others for under $1 a piece and no one cared. But today resellers and Collector's fight to get to the games first. About the mid 2000's tons of people started collecting video games and its a double edged sword. Now I have more people who share my hobby, but because of this prices have gone up and sometimes WAY UP on rarer titles.
I still garage sale and I'm amazed every year I still find some good stuff. But now a days its racing to get ahead of the resellers and hoping to get at least one good find. 
I don't expect everyone to have a bunch of pick ups every week. Heck even I wait a couple weeks showing my pick ups just due to not much was found that week. I honestly like the little family this forum has. Most of the big ones I have tried you get more trolls and toxic behavior. To be honest the only places I post my finds is here and a few Facebook groups.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 10:48:17 pm »
As mentioned earlier, I had plans to attend a local swap meet of collectors in the Denver area; we meet quarterly to trade and sell games and there is always some really awesome stuff at these given it is collectors trading their stuff with other collectors. I haven't left a swap meet with this much stuff in probably two or three years and was super happy to find all of this stuff. The meetup was hosted at a local independent video game store where I bought most of the Saturn games and also the game I was probably most excited to find at the price I did.

That would be the rare retail longbox version of Virtua Fighter Remix, which I used to have as part of my original Saturn collection over a decade ago, which sadly I had to sell shortly after. Back then it was only worth about $15 more than the small jewel case version, and after someone recently posted about about them picking it up and how much it shot up in price I couldn't help but feel discouraged at how I'd probably never find it for cheap again. I paid the price listed on the sticker for it; I guess never say never :)

Regarding the consoles, I currently do not have an NES and this one has a brand new 72-pin connection in it. I paid for a total of two of the PS2s shown of which I am sure both of those work, the others were given to me for free with no certainty of them working, but for free I was willing to take the chance. The PS3s and the PS1 were also free with the same disclaimer that they may or may not work; I'll update on that soon. Sadly I was super close to getting a mint condition Neo Geo Pocket Color with Metal Slug Mission 1 included, but the seller and I could not work out an agreement and I was partially undercut by another person at the meetup. I wasn't too mad since we had a hard time agreeing on a trade/price and I wasn't too keen on the color (it was baby blue...), but I've wanted one for years and this is certainly the closest I've come to getting one.

And finally there is the Soul Calibur Talim figure which was actually free too thanks to it being discarded in a free box that is brought to each of these meetups. I believe it was part of a Best Buy preorder bonus with Soul Calibur VI.

I am beyond happy with how this swap meet went, not just in terms of what I came home with, but I also sold/traded a decent amount of doubles I had. Also had a great time chatting with many of the other local collectors. Everyone seemed to have a great time and it was nice being able to put a spotlight on a local retro game store after many others have recently shutdown in the area. Just an awesome day overall :)

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 12:35:57 am »

Regarding the consoles, I currently do not have an NES and this one has a brand new 72-pin connection in it. I paid for a total of two of the PS2s shown of which I am sure both of those work, the others were given to me for free with no certainty of them working, but for free I was willing to take the chance. The PS3s and the PS1 were also free with the same disclaimer that they may or may not work; I'll update on that soon. Sadly I was super close to getting a mint condition Neo Geo Pocket Color with Metal Slug Mission 1 included, but the seller and I could not work out an agreement and I was partially undercut by another person at the meetup. I wasn't too mad since we had a hard time agreeing on a trade/price and I wasn't too keen on the color (it was baby blue...), but I've wanted one for years and this is certainly the closest I've come to getting one.

So I tested all the consoles and overall I'm a little disappointed despite all of them being free minus one PS2 fat, one PS2 slim and the NES. First off, all three of those consoles work, however the PS2 fat does something peculiar where on the home screen the little spinning light orb is frozen, however all the menu functions work and the discs load right up without issue. I'm not sure if the OS is corrupt, but it didn't seem to effect the games at all. But anyhow, to the free consoles.

So out of all the other consoles only one works...sort of. One of the other fat PS2s did technical work, however the power button on the front of the console didn't work, so to wake the console up I had to open the disk drive. To test all the PS2s out I used two silver bottom discs and two purple bottom discs, one in perfect condition and one that had visible scratches of each color. Both perfect condition discs worked perfectly and loaded fast, however the silver bottom disc with scratches loaded, but froze before the disc fully loaded. The scratched purple bottom disc worked fine.

As for all the other consoles they didn't work to varying degrees. The third PS2 fat didn't read any discs at all, neither did the PS1, however both booted. The PS3 slim is giving me the red flashing light of death, which means that there is a possibility I can get it working, but it'll never likely work completely. The PS3 slim boots, however the disc drive is mechanically broken and will likely need to be repaired.

So after all that I got a free PS2 fat that 80% works lol. I'm going to try and repair a couple of the free systems, however most of them I'll probably donate or give to someone who wants to put the time into trying to fix them. Again, can't complain too much since they were free, but I was hoping at least one more might have worked. All well :)

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 08:33:47 am »
I wish we had swap meets here, or if we do, I wish I knew about them.

I haven't been posting my gets because I don't have a good site to upload images to.  Imgur doesn't let me upload from my phone anymore.

I also haven't been buying much lately either.  I'm trying to not grow my collection because it's too big imo.  I still wind up buying a bunch of stuff each month though.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 09:10:24 am »
Finds for the past 2 weeks:
Gungrifon Blaze PS2 cib 4$
Spyro Enter the Dragonfly PS2 cib 4$
 Fable II Xbox 360 cib  1$
Tomb Raider II strategy guide 1$

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 03:44:45 pm »
I've been in the process of moving and setting up game room in the new house so haven't had a chance to post pictures of my pickups this week.  Hopefully in the next week or so. 

I got a sweet 27" Triniton for the new room and picked up a few more games for my ps1 set. along with a few games for some other systems.  Down to 76 games to go for PS1!

Retro Gaming is still super popular in the PNW, we've had multiple new stores open or will open soon, our community sets up 5-6 different collector swaps a year and the Portland Retro Gaming Expo is one of the largest retro conventions in the nation.  If we are in the decline, I think it's going to be a very slow one. 

I think the reason there has been less forum presence is possibly also because of the rise of new collection tracker alternatives.  Gameye, GVN, VGPC and more all have collection tracking apps and in the FB groups I belong to, the members usually use those over VGCollect.  We just need more new blood that aren't silly trolls like Seether. 

spac316

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 11:57:43 am »
Recent Pick ups. Punisher for NES, Road Rash and Super Sace Invaders for Game Gear and Mario Hoops and DQ IX for NDS!

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 04:48:01 pm »
Came across a nice little pile of PS2 and PS3 games today at the thrift store.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:17:14 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 07:45:05 am »