Author Topic: If You Had To Downsize Your Collections What Would You Keep Longest?  (Read 3041 times)

If I was forced to downsize any of my collection it would be the video game collection first, If I could only keep one console it would be the PlayStation 2 and I would  try to keep all my video game compilations, that include more than one video game per disc.

If you had to sacrifice most or all of your media or video games what would go first?

updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

Re: If You Had To Downsize Your Collections What Would You Keep Longest?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 09:04:14 am »
PS2 and GBA stuff

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:19:26 am »
I would definitely keep my Sega stuff for as long as I could. Especially Master System (my favorite console ever) and Saturn!

The first things to go would be Nintendo, beginning with the N64!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:21:46 am by ferraroso »

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 09:50:26 am »
Well considering over the last few years I've sold off a good half of my anime collection, it's pretty clear where I started :P

Now, assuming I reached a point where I needed to start pruning the games, it would likely go like this:

-All of the Game Gear stuff goes. Not that it's bad, I just play it the least. I mean, I play my Lynx more for cryin' out loud!
-Prune the PS2 & PS4 games. Probably my biggest space-consuming collections, I'm sure there's games in there I don't need to hang onto anymore.
-Re-evaluate boxed cartidge games. Boxes take up space, and I'm not opposed to cart-only- so really, do I need to have any boxed carts at all?

If drastic measures are needed, consider selling/storing older machines in favor of modern clone machines. Even going with FPGA means smaller devices than what I have now- and that's assuming I don't just get a retron 5 & combine a bunch together. Plus, clone machines mean native HDMi, so smaller switchboxes.

Luckily, I'm not in a place where I have to do that just yet.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:07:56 am »
I was actually faced with this dilemma a few years ago, and the first thing that went were games that were ports of the same game on different consoles, games I wasn't too crazy about, and what I like to consider trophy games, aka games that you own simply because they are rare or sought after.

Just selling those I was able to fund what I needed at the time, but if I had to sell more beyond that then it would be difficult to choose. Essentially if I had to sell nearly everything else off the stuff that would be left over are either games I really, really like or games I have a personal connection to in some way. In all this would mean I'd hold onto roughly 100 to 250 games and a handful of consoles in the end.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 11:30:06 am »
I would hold onto my NES/SNES games from when I was a kid. Gotta keep that nostalgia.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 12:08:16 pm »
I would probably dump most of the console stuff and just keep the PC games.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 01:04:10 pm »
I'd keep my systems and just sell off the games I never play.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 01:08:08 pm »
I've already downsized my game collection by 1/3 (500 games), due to financial troubles. New car, new pc and such (which weren't planned :( ). I really had to think twice and sometimes trice to think which games went. I've sold all my NES games, since i didn't play them anymore. Sold games for the older consoles which i HAD on the newer consoles (Reboot/Remaster/in Compilation). For the SNES i kept the games (About 20 / 150) out of nostalgia reasons.

The truth is anyone can clear his game collection, it's the circumstances and the will to actually begin a clear-out, which kept me from doing it (kept hoarding). Each and every person has his own reasons and his own selective way of justifying which games to sell/keep.

Upcoming Pre-orders:

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 02:21:47 pm »
Snes e PS1

kashell

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 02:59:20 pm »
I'd hold onto the PS and PS2 stuff as long as possible.

kypherion

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 03:24:12 pm »
My collection is already really small, only like half is physical and less in total than 360 games, but probably all of my nintendo stuff and PS3, I don't particularly NEED my PC or xbox. That being said I prefer games like DOOM (And DOOM Eternal), and FPS on PC.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 09:37:32 am »
My NES and games. I’d hold on to those until I didn’t have a choice.  It’s my favorite system and started my love of gaming.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 04:51:51 pm »
You mentioned media. So I'll say my anime dvd collection. Which I actually did get rid of in my teens. It was worth it to be honest https://vgcollect.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif As for video games... Maybe my ps3 for the fact that so many games were ported to ps4 but most definitely my original xbox collection would go first.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 05:53:09 pm »
My dvd/blu ray collection would go first if i brake up my game collection i would get rid of it all and stop collecting.Mabey start collecting aquariums and breeding fish again.