Author Topic: Interest Check: Computers, hardware and software  (Read 4340 times)

tripredacus

Interest Check: Computers, hardware and software
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:29:28 am »
There are (at least) two categories for computers:
https://vgcollect.com/browse/pc98hardware
which has some items in it and
https://vgcollect.com/browse/pc88hardware
which is empty

We also have computers for Atari, Commodore, Amiga, Amstrad, etc
and Apple II: https://vgcollect.com/browse/apple2hardwarena
And accessories for those computers.

but nothing for Apple PowerMac/Intel models, and not for x86 IBM PC/clones.

If we were to expand the database to cover things like this, would there be large enough interest? Do you PC Game collectors also collect for these things?

My own thoughts, if there is enough interest, these would be things we can track:
- Retail computer models: will require boxed items, computers/notebooks/portables with actual models. No generics or self built systems.
- Retail hardware components. Video cards, sound cards. Retail/boxed items only. No OEM/Bulk SKU items.
- Operating Systems (including shells like Netware 4, etc)

Not sure about Productivity software. Anyone here actually collect those things? 4 Is there enough interest to create a category to put Microsoft Works, Wordstar, Adobe Photoshop, etc into?

Similarly, do we want to be able to add the non-games software to the Microcomputer categories?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:48:02 am by tripredacus »

aliensstudios

Re: Interest Check: Computers, hardware and software
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 06:47:20 pm »
I don't know if there'd be enough people actively adding to those categories but I like the sound of it.

As long as it's not straying away from video gaming and towards consumer software for computer systems like some the software you mentioned because in the end what has that got to do with gaming?

I'm not sure if VGCollect should have stuff like expansion cards and operating systems but adding more platforms for specific computer games is a great idea if you ask me.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Flashback2012

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 07:50:51 pm »
I'm a PC game collector and this sounds like a nightmare to me. It's already hard enough tracking down info on PC gaming releases, I couldn't even imagine doing so for things like Productivity software and the like.  :o

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 06:12:48 am »
Hallelujah! 

BIG YES from this guy  ;D

8 times out of 10, when I search for a PC game I usually end up submitting the entry myself, which I don't mind of course.

I think retail PC/Laptop models would be a bit overwhelming with the amount of variations in hardware, but would LOVE to see a category for PC add-in cards like Video and Sound Cards, hell maybe even Motherboards & CPU's.  The majority of those have retail SKU's and boxes, and would look great in the collection.

Count me in.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:17:33 am by retromangia »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 09:29:49 am »
I'm on board for video cards and sound cards. I already have a video card sitting in my "queue" because it has the Sacred 2 game logo on it, but I never did anything with it because there wasn't a place to put it in the db.

These are the big questions:
1. Why would we allow people to track PC-88, PC-98, C64, Amstrad, Sinclair, etc computers but not IBM or Apple (besides Apple II) computers?
2. Why would we allow people to track peripherals for Micros (such as the floppy drive or mouse for the C64) but not peripherals for other computers?
3. Why would we allow people to track development software for consoles (such as Atari 2600 BASIC) but not similar software for other platforms? Or banking software for Sega Mega Drive but not similar software for other platforms?

If we are to make some rule that says: dedicated consoles we will track everything, then sure OK.
What exactly should we expect to be responsible for when it comes to Micros and for regular computers?

Because as it stands now, there are categories and items in the database that are not video game related... at least to the point of direct relation.

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 11:58:16 pm »
- Retail hardware components. Video cards, sound cards. Retail/boxed items only. No OEM/Bulk SKU items.

Things sounded good until I read "No OEM/Bulk SKU items". This does not make sense to me.

Who keeps the boxes to PC component parts? Not Me!

I Also have lots of second hand computers and parts, who knows if they were retail box or OEM.

If I go to Micro Center or order something from them on-line, say a hard drive or video card and its in a cardboard box I could enter the part, but if I buy the OEM/Bulk packed part, not in a cardboard box I can't, this does not make sense.

This silly rule makes, entering PC parts, worthless to me!!!!

I am building a PC at this time; a used Antec case and 650W power supply, 2 sticks used G. Skill memory, 2 sticks used OEM memory 12 GB Total, a used MSI Radeon video card, a used Western Digital Hard Disc, "mother board and CPU" & some "other parts" out of a Dell Optiplex computer, a used internal Pioneer CD/DVD/Blu-ray Drive/Burner, new retail box Gigabyte Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, a Logitech G302 Gaming Mouse, a monitor, speakers and other various parts. Why?, because most of these parts were free/given to me, or are from a previous computer I owned or parts I bought retail or bought 2nd hand. PS - this post was created on the computer I an assembling from the above parts. It is fully functional, but has not been closed up yet.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:10:43 am by zappman »

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 05:23:15 am »
First let me answer Zappman. Since we don't want the site getting over saturated with random PC parts, we should not allow OEM PC parts to be added to the database. There's literally hundred's of thousands of unmarked OEM PC parts, and the database will get out of hand quickly.  Plus it just looks plain ugly.

Second, I myself always keep the boxes to my PC parts and peripherals. They look nice in the collection, and add to the value if I ever want to re-sell the parts later down the road.  Older vintage boxes from things like 3Dfx Voodoo cards are highly sought-after and difficult to come by.  I actually have a Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 box displayed proudly above my shelf ;)

Trip,

1.) Since we do track PC-88, Amstrad, C64 etc, I think tracking Apple computers would be very possible, since they have more of a closed Eco system.  IBM could be possible as well, but with so many different manufacturers, it could get a bit out of hand. I mean there's Gateway, Compaq, HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc.  What do you think?

2.) Peripherals sound good to me.  I guess just place them under the IBM PC "Accessory" category?  Perhaps we could break it down even further, with new sub-categories such as "Input Devices", "Video Cards", "Media Drives", or "Components".

3.) Perhaps we should draw the line at Hardware, Peripherals, and Operating Systems.  I just see things like productivity software, office software and applications getting way out of hand, and not really related to video games any way. However if there's a big enough demand, the option could always be added later on. We would need to create some new categories I believe, such as "Productivity", or "Applications".

I do believe all of this could work, but it will definitely take a lot of effort to keep things highly curated.

We already have the "swag" category, which is full of random stuff. It seems this site has gone beyond just video games.

Of course all of this is just my opinion, so I could be wrong :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:29:16 am by retromangia »

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:30:42 am »
I Also have lots of second hand computers and parts, who knows if they were retail box or OEM.

OEM/Bulk will have equivalents in the retail channel almost always.

We can think in terms of processors. There are four kinds of processors:
1. Retail CPUs
2. Tray CPUs
3. Confidential CPUs
4. Came in a computer

If we were to track processors, we should only be tracking products released at retail. This means items that were sold in a box, not items that were sold on a tray or came inside of a computer. There should be a retail equivalent to those in most instances.

As for "how would I know" well that means you'd have to research it. You don't just add stuff into VGC now without knowing what box it came in, do you?

Retromangia
1. I don't think the large amount of brands matter. A computer hardware section would be "IBM PC and Compatibles" likely, which would encompass x86 and amd64. I'd be hesitant to allow additions of ARM systems, despite the fact that you can runs games on them, and we should not bother with Itanium since I'm not aware of any games that work on that architecture. There would have to be consideration for having a separate portables category for notebooks and laptops?

2. I think we can start small on Accessories. Video Cards and a catch-all Accessories category would be fine enough. And then add more later as deemed fit.

3. Where do we draw the line on software for Microcomputers? If we are to allow the BASIC on 2600 because the 2600 is a gaming platform first, we can easily draw that line. However, micros are not a gaming platform first, and relate closer to PC/Mac.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:34:49 am »

OEM/Bulk will have equivalents in the retail channel almost always.

We can think in terms of processors. There are four kinds of processors:
1. Retail CPUs
2. Tray CPUs
3. Confidential CPUs
4. Came in a computer

If we were to track processors, we should only be tracking products released at retail. This means items that were sold in a box, not items that were sold on a tray or came inside of a computer. There should be a retail equivalent to those in most instances.

As for "how would I know" well that means you'd have to research it. You don't just add stuff into VGC now without knowing what box it came in, do you?

Retromangia
1. I don't think the large amount of brands matter. A computer hardware section would be "IBM PC and Compatibles" likely, which would encompass x86 and amd64. I'd be hesitant to allow additions of ARM systems, despite the fact that you can runs games on them, and we should not bother with Itanium since I'm not aware of any games that work on that architecture. There would have to be consideration for having a separate portables category for notebooks and laptops?

2. I think we can start small on Accessories. Video Cards and a catch-all Accessories category would be fine enough. And then add more later as deemed fit.

3. Where do we draw the line on software for Microcomputers? If we are to allow the BASIC on 2600 because the 2600 is a gaming platform first, we can easily draw that line. However, micros are not a gaming platform first, and relate closer to PC/Mac.

Hey Trip,

1.) I like the Idea of having separate categories for Desktop's / Laptops. That would make things look nice and clean.

2.) Lets have a separate category for Video Card / Sound Cards. I know a lot of PC collector's who love all the different types of sound cards and modules from the 80's, 90's, and beyond.

3.) I honestly don't have much experience with Microcomputers growing up in US, but I could see maybe just adding one sub-category under Genre perhaps, like "productivity" or "application".  It's a tough call really, as stuff like that is not gaming related at all.

- Retro