Author Topic: Are You Sure If Every Single Video Game You Own Is Original  (Read 13165 times)

Are You Sure If Every Single Video Game You Own Is Original
« on: August 24, 2019, 04:22:42 pm »
I want real, but sometimes  :(

I don't want to offend anyone with this but I'd thought I'd ask. Are you completely sure that every single game you own is not a reproduction or a bootleg? I mean some of us just buy in bulk.

This is a vary vary heated subject for a ton of collectors, fake games are all over the place, and the real retro ones that were manufactured. Some them are old, and were poorly cared for. and a lot of them might not work

Some of the original cartridges have dead batteries in them, and no longer save from what I read. Like Pokemon Gameboy games. Do you open up the game as soon as you get them, and judge them from the inside out? or do you just see if the game works first?

To me, as long as I can actually play the game, and lets say it was cheap. Real or not, I would keep it, as long as if it was not dangerous.

I want real games, but if it works and plays like the original was supposed to, and you got it cheap, and didn't pay a ton of money for it. Would you still have it in your collection?

I don't care what the game companies think, the modern gaming industry, are playing unfair today in my opinion

I am prepared to be creamed, but I had to say something because, I know someone will understand.

I could just spend money on a modern system. But they are a rip off in my opinion mainly because of the requirement to download the game, before playing 50 gigs of data it sucks
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 06:14:10 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Are You Sure If Every Single Video Game You Own Is Original
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 04:56:36 pm »
A majority of my games are legit originals.

I own a small handful of reproductions on purpose.

I know they are repros I’m not ashamed of it. I just wanted to play the games on real hardware.

Shantae for GBC
Super Back to the Future II
Star Fox 2
Mega Man Wiley Wars

Repros. Glad I own them.

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 05:58:52 pm »
The only bootlegs I have were accidental; a couple of Game Boy Advance carts.  I got a genuine replacement for one of them, but not the other, at least not yet.

Otherwise, yes, I am very confident that the rest of my collection contains no bootlegs or repros (not counting Majesco reprints of course).

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 06:17:04 pm »
The only bootleg of a US-released game I have is Castlevania Double Pack. At least it saves correctly.

tradinggoatgames

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 06:20:53 pm »
I might be a little maticulous. But i work in a Play N' Trade and usually when i buy a couple games i verify they're in working order and original before stocking them into my collection. So im pretty sure they're all original.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 08:48:15 pm »
Of all my games I only have 1 fake it's a gba game called shinning souls so i had to buy a legit copy.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 10:02:21 pm »
Yes. The only reproductions I own are on purpose.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 10:12:28 pm »
For me I have one cartridge with 450 games built in on it, so I don't have all originals either. It's not one of those illegal SD cartridges though, but I do have ROMS for the Atari portable device I got from Atari Age Forums

Atari 2600 games that I don't have included in my collection

I tried to get buy more games for my Atari portable device from ATGames website but they had none for sale so I got them from Atari Age, if it were illegal to download those Atari2600 ROM's I am un aware because their is an SD slot built into the device I got. and plus Atari Age has permission to give out Atari2600 ROMs I heard but it could be wrong
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:23:29 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 12:35:52 am »
Yep, except a handful of repros I know are repros.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 11:41:14 am »
I am 99.9% sure all of my games are originals. I can't be 100% sure, because it's not like I've sat down & opened each and every game I own to check the chipset- but I don't think I've got any fakes. I'm generally pretty meticulous about where I buy my games, and most of my cartridge games were purchased before the retro bubble & online shopping really hit- therefore, before fakes really flooded in.

I think, of everything I own, the one I'm most concerned about being 'fake' is my CIB copy of Starfox 64. That's largely becuase it's in pristine condition, but came from a shop not known for pristine condition... and that doesn't screen for fakes. I try to compare to online from time to time, but I can't find anything wrong with it. The print's clean, there's no errors I can find, it's got the incidental paperwork like a Nintendo power mini flyer- I've even opened the cart up & checked it, it looks fine. Until I get a chance to look over a legit box in real life, or put mine in the hands of a reputable source for confirmation, I'll probably continue to be suspicious of it. It wasn't expensive though, so as long as the cart itself is real I don't think I'd mind much finding out the box is repro.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 11:50:33 am »
I'd say about 98% of the games i own are authentic, but as somebody mentioned above i do own a couple of knock-offs/repro carts intentionally. The ones i have that i can remember off the top of my head are 2 summon night gba carts, and ocarina of time master quest on the n64.  ;D

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 05:06:12 pm »
The only bootleg of a US-released game I have is Castlevania Double Pack.

Exact same one I have.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 08:46:58 pm »
As far as I know, they’re all legit.

I have a couple bootleg arcade PCB’s, but they aren’t counted here.

The only time I unknowingly purchased a fake, was on the PS2. Bought a new copy of Vice City from a swap meet. It had the shrink wrap, hang tab and security sticker. After I opened it, I noticed the back cover art had a razor cut through it (just the art, not the plastic). The game could only be played on modded systems. Man they did a good job on that one...

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 06:31:45 pm »
I'm 99% sure. I can always spot a fake, the print quality is just never as good. I own a bootleg Earthbound but that was my choice.

ferraroso

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 11:27:12 pm »
Well, here in Japan, I have the impression that counterfeits are so rare that they tend to be even more expensive than the real deal. I very often find unlicensed PC-Engine or Famicon games being sold close to the equivalent to hundreds of American dollars, so the only fakes I own (as far as I know) I bought very consciously.