Author Topic: 25th Anniversary of PlayStation!  (Read 2234 times)

shatterstar69

25th Anniversary of PlayStation!
« on: December 04, 2019, 11:44:15 pm »
Hey guys! I can’t believe it’s been 25 years of PlayStation!! I have been a huge PlayStation fan since I got the original system back in 1995 (wow that makes me feel old).  I just thought to commemorate the occasion we could post our favorite game on each generation of PlayStation consoles.  Here’s mine:

PSOne - Final Fantasy VII - I loved this series on SNES and it was a big reason why I went with PlayStation over the Nintendo 64

PS2 - Resident Evil 4 - This was close between Metal Gear Solid 2 and RE4 but I went with RE4 because it was a revolution for the series

PS3 - The Last of Us - Previously was Uncharted 2 but the story in The Last of Us resonated with me more than Uncharted did

PS4 - Marvel Spider-man - Insomniac got everything right here with my favorite super hero and I couldn’t put it down from start to finish

Anyway, interested to see your picks and let’s hope we see 25 more years of PlayStation!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:39:14 am by shatterstar69 »
Time to make the donuts!

Re: 25th Anniversary of PlayStation!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 12:58:39 am »
Gonna just post a few favorites of each gen...

Playstation 1: Tekken 3, Twisted Metal 2, Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy 7

Playstation 2: Jak & Daxter, SOCOM, Metal Gear Solid 3, Okami (I'm personally not putting RE4 here, as I don't really consider it a "PS2" game.)

Playstation 3: God of War 3, MAG (I'll be the only one with MAG on their list probably lol Not many games from the PS3 I'd consider a favorite.  Got into the system late and while I played most of the notable stuff, I didn't think it was a great system.)

Playstation 4: Spider-Man, God of War, Bloodborne, Godzilla, and I might be considering Death Stranding.  Last of Us 2 has potential next year also.

megasilverx1

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 03:34:27 am »
Hard to believe it's already been 25 years! I think I was introduced to PlayStation around 1999 when my cousin gave my oldest sister his PS1 and games since he had gotten the Dreamcast. It was one of the early model PS1s (the ones that had an actual composite connection) so the discs wouldn't want to spin properly unless it was on its side.

PS1: Mega Man X4- I love just plowing through this game. It doesn't have any weird gimmicks like the other X games (besides X1) that bog things down. Other than X4, I like Dragon Warrior VII, Mega Man 8/X6, Spyro 1, Zoop, and Wipeout 3.

PS2- Katamari Damacy- Along with Picross, this is one of my favorite chill games. Great music and such a simple fun idea. Other games I enjoyed were Sly 1/2, Dragon Quest VIII, Battle for Bikkini Bottom, Jak and Daxter, Hit & Run, SSX Tricky, and Kingdom Hearts II.

PS3- I don't really have a favorite for PS3 since I didn't get one until like 2014 and haven't played a game yet I'd call my favorite on the system. I did enjoy Sly 4, Puppeteer, Sonic '06, Metal Gear Rising, and Persona 5 though.

PS4- It's hard to pick just one, but between Dragon Quest XI and Owlboy, I suppose I'll go with Owlboy since I enjoyed the extra stuff the Switch version of DQXI added. Owlboy was a surprise for me. It looked like a fun 2D platformer adventure game from trailers and little bits of gameplay I saw, but I found myself relating to the main character Otis, liking many of the main/side characters, and in general, found the game to be a fun experience from beginning to end. Besides DQXI and Owlboy, I had fun playing Sonic Forces, Sonic Mania Plus, Mega Man 11, Team Sonic Racing, and Yakuza 0.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:36:31 am by megasilverx1 »

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 06:04:11 am »
ps1 Symphony of the night honorable mentions raiden project, azure dreams, suikoden II and alundra 1

ps2 shadow of the collosus honorable mentions 10.000 bullets, KOF 98 unlimited match, god hand and ico.

psp: metal slug double X

as far as resident evil 4 goes. the gamecube had superior grapics and it ran more smoothly compared to ps2 wich barely could run the game

furthermore the ps2 version had less enemies longer loading times   quite a downgraded port actually

the ps2 had some minor extra's it was not really the best way to play the game back in the day at least.

than again gamecube had twice the power of the ps2 after all so it's not that suprising. plus the data limit didnt matter since the cube used multiple discs for that game
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:26:46 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:11:53 am »
PlayStation: Lots of good stuff, many of which was already mentioned. My favorite game of all time is on it (SaGa Frontier) and it has some other top tens such as Breath of Fire III and Valkyrie Profile. The great thing about the PlayStation is that I'm still uncovering fun titles and/or hidden treasures. Right now, I'm going through Vandal Hearts II for the first time and loving it.

PlayStation 2: My favorite console. I'd be here all day. I'll just mention Shadow Hearts and move on, haha.

PlayStation 3: The Atelier titles I played on here were great. Atelier Shallie was a blast. I also really enjoyed Star Ocean The Last Hope. I'm still proud of that platinum.

PlayStation 4: Tales of Berseria. Full stop.

shatterstar69

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:12:25 am »

as far as resident evil 4 goes. the gamecube had superior grapics and it ran more smoothly compared to ps2 wich barely could run the game

furthermore the ps2 version had less enemies longer loading times   quite a downgraded port actually

the ps2 had some minor extra's it was not really the best way to play the game back in the day at least.

than again gamecube had twice the power of the ps2 after all so it's not that suprising. plus the data limit didnt matter since the cube used multiple discs for that game

I had a feeling this would be the case but since I never had a GameCube I was unable to compare each experience but thanks for the info!
Time to make the donuts!

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 08:46:23 am »
Been hooked on PlayStation ever since the first one, originally I didn't want to trade my MegaDrive away for the PS1 but when I did it changed EVERYTHING!:

PS1 - Final Fantasy IX: Phenomenal adventure and features my favourite character from any game.

PS2 - Shadow of Memories/Destiny: First time experience and interactive narrative and what an amazing experience!

PS3 - NieR: Brilliantly dark Action-JRPG.Worth playing multiple times to expand the story and best OST of all time!

PS4 - Life Is Strange: Very compelling, I couldn't put it down from the get go and appreciated the lead character being an introvert.

PSP - Crisis Core: Taking great advantage of the source material and expanding on a timeline of Final Fantasy VII worth telling.

PSVita - Gravity Rush: Bursting with CHARM! Everything I hoped for even if I do prefer the PS4 version now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:51:33 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 12:45:37 pm »
I haven't played many games on each Playstation console but here goes:
PS1: Persona, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment or Final Fantasy 9
PS2: Persona 3 or SoulCalibur 3
PS3: Oblivion, Saints Row 2, or Trails of Cold Steel 1-2.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 03:26:29 pm »
PS1 -   Crash team racing    (Crash team racing is one of the greatest kart racers of all time and also one of the most sentimental childhood games for me.  It was the first game I ever had for PS1.  And it was so addictive and fun.  I love the music,  the karts,  the power ups, and the bosses)

PS2 -   Impossible to pick,  but i'd have to choose Kingdom Hearts under duress lol.     KH is one of the best games ever made.  It's the perfect mixture of final fantasy and disney.   And a very fun pick up and play action filled adventure.

PS3 -   The Last of Us   (It's just one of the most enthralling stories ever.   Watching Ellie grow has been special.  And I love any game that develops character progression and bonds within the characters that grow like that. When the first game came out I was 15.  So in a sense I grew up with her.  Following almost the same age pattern.  Now as an adult,  Ellie is also an adult.  And it's kinda neat seeing her transformation into her new self.  I loved the trailer.  I loved the gameplay snippet.  I will literally buy a PS4 just for that game lol.   It comes out right before my birthday.  If the May 29th release is official.  So I have to say up for a ps4 pro,  and the collectors edition of the game.  I can't wait to play it.   TLOU story is just so deep and engaging)   

PS4 -   The last of us 2   (It's not out yet, but it'll be my favorite.  Spiderman is my current number 1 spot.  It's an incredible game.  A lot of exploring.  Beautiful city.  But if i'm being honest.  I haven't loved much exclusives on either console side this gen.  Xbox wins my support off sheer love of the controller and UI). 

PS5 -   Predicting games that might come out....  hmmmm....     BIOSHOCK 5.   It's so damn good it skips over 3 and 4.    ;D

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 08:23:15 pm »
PlayStation 1 was my first tv console birthday gift. I probably spent more time on the first 3 SONY PlayStation consoles than any other console. I love all the PlayStation consoles but I never tried the 4th PlayStation or anything later.

I think that the the SONY controllers are some of the best longest lasting gaming controllers ever built. with the Microsoft Xbox Controllers.

Some of my favorite PS1 games are, Mortal Kombat 4, Cool Boarders 2, WWF Warzone, and I am currently really into PlayStation 1 racing games now,

I like the Call Of Duty series and the Tiger Woods PGA Tour Series on PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 the best. :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 11:17:37 pm »
My first memory of the Playstation was when my parents, siblings and I were on a road trip during the summer of 96 and we were in Idaho visiting my grandparents. We went to one of my dad's cousins houses and the two things I remember they had there were pirañas and a PS1. I had never seen a PS1 before and I don't believe I even knew what it was despite being into gaming a the time. I remember playing Destruction Derby and being totally floored by how cool the damage physics were at the time. I still remember the code "DAMAGE" makes you invincible too from that experience. I actually didn't end up getting a PS1 of my own untiil ironically the day the PS2 launched; the guy an my local Software Ect was like "are you sure you're not here for a PS2?" and I was like yep! Even if i wanted a PS2 I couldn't get one since I didn't have one preordered at the time. But anyhow here are my favorites on each PS console:

PS1: Final Fantasy VII
PS2: Final Fantasy X
PS3: Grand Theft Auto IV
PS4: Shenmue III

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 09:43:42 pm »
I can't list just one it's to hard.

Ps1:Resident Evil,FFVll,Tomb Raider,Suikoden
Ps2:Gran Turismo 3,Disgaea,FFX,Metal Gear Solid 2,Ace Combat 04
Ps3:Disgaea 4,Uncharted Drakes Fortune,Heavenly Sword,Ridge Racer 7
Ps4:Horizon Zero Dawn,Nioh,Bloodborne,God of War

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 09:49:08 pm »
PS1: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
PS2: Shadow of the Colossus
PS3: The Last of Us
PS4: Bloodborne

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 09:46:42 am »
I would have to say Final Fantasy IX for PS1 and Shadow of the Colossus for PS2. Those are two of the games that come to mind in a snap whenever either of the two consoles are mentioned. I hold Final Fantasy VII near and dear to my heart given it was my first proper experience with a JRPG, but there’s just something special about IX. I’m eager for Final Fantasy VII Remake, though.

I’ve yet to delve into PS3 territory, much less PS4, so that’s that.

While we're celebrating, here's the evolution of the PS logo, by Manabu Sakamoto. Interesting to say the least.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 12:12:14 am »
I used to love the PlayStation 3 but after  ton of my favorite games started to rot for the PS3 and the fact that most of it's games requires a day one patch that might not always be available in the future.  My thought somewhat changed but

I just use my newest PlayStation 3 to play PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 3 games sometimes. But for years I used it for music listening and ripping CD's watching internet videos, and gaming all in one. But ever since SONY took down the music information server at least 3 years ago, I now only use my newer PlayStation 3 for gaming

I still think to some degree with all the hours I put into now all 3 of my PlayStation 3 consoles I still think it is a highly underappreciated and underrated console. You Guys who missed out on the SONY PS3 when it was newer  really missed out on something special. I think
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:15:11 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"