Author Topic: some sega games incompatible non working with 1st version of genesis  (Read 1842 times)

sworddude

So I've been wondering if there was some kind of list of genesis games that do not work on the first version of the genesis

I've had a few games over the years that either have a white screen of death or just a black screen like nothing is happening on the high definition grapics version 1st model but work perfectly fine on a model 2.

That seems pretty odd to me usually not interesting titles. but the only ones in wich I had duplicates was NBA jam tournament edition and today double dragon wich just has a black screen while working perfectly fine on a model 2. and yes double dragon is also pretty bad on sega but still kinda odd.

Anyone else having some games that do not work on earlier models? and if the problem is with my sega system than it is pretty odd since it plays pretty much everything except around 5 titles wich only seem to work on a model 2 for me.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:25:23 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

tripredacus

Re: some sega games incompatible non working with 1st version of genesis
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 12:02:40 pm »
First version meaning non-TMSS Model 1?

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 12:06:33 pm »
First version meaning non-TMSS Model 1?

the version with the high definition text written on the top of the console

you also have models one withouth it. wich are even worse than a model 2.

But I'm guessing that all model 1 consoles have this issue not only the high definition text models with the best sound.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 11:51:08 pm »
Is this true? I mean, I my personal Genesis model 2 power pin broke, and I just got a model 1 Sega Genesis this month at Disc Replay for $25USD with all the hookups.

Yea I think I know exactly what you mean by the first model of the Genesis the one that has 16-bit written on it in big letters and a volume control switch? and with both a RF and mono Audio Video Composite cable plug?

this is not mine but someone elses photo

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:52:55 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 03:59:31 am »
Is this true? I mean, I my personal Genesis model 2 power pin broke, and I just got a model 1 Sega Genesis this month at Disc Replay for $25USD with all the hookups.

Yea I think I know exactly what you mean by the first model of the Genesis the one that has 16-bit written on it in big letters and a volume control switch? and with both a RF and mono Audio Video Composite cable plug?

this is not mine but someone elses photo

that's the one. wich also has some other variant with the high definition text. I have had multiples and even my modded 50/60HZ switch region free 1st edition console does not play these games.

this is a model 2 in wich those odd few games do work

BTW not only a problem with the 16 bit era

Say you have a power base converter to play master system games on a genesis. tough luck even more games wich are incompatible including notable ones such as cloud master and psycic world.

also some other titles but those where the most annoying to me more than with the 16 bit systems at least. Had multiple ones at the same time for some at one point so it wasnt just a fluke. all worked flawlessly on an orginal master system console though

Only seen some lists with controller pad issuses but not with incompatible games.

You can't find everything on the web if it ain't popular. It's not the first time though a ton of niche details are non existent online.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:02:13 am by sworddude »

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 09:49:21 am »
You are in Europe, so I the answer might be different than for US.

In the US, we did get the Model 1 with HD Graphics text, and non-TMSS console first. Then Model 1 with HD Graphics text with TMSS (and all that followed), then Model 1 without HD Graphics text. EU (or at least UK) seems to have been relatively the same. IIRC there were more releases of non-TMSS in EU than in the US.

However, what we are talking about here is the casing only. That has no real factor in game compatibility. What you are then looking at is the board revisions (the VA number) which do not always match up to the casing.

This is the type of topic you should ask on a dedicated forum, such as Sega-16. They even have a topic that might interest you "GUIDE: Telling apart good Genesis 1s and Genesis 2s from bad ones."
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 10:40:00 am »
You are in Europe, so I the answer might be different than for US.

In the US, we did get the Model 1 with HD Graphics text, and non-TMSS console first. Then Model 1 with HD Graphics text with TMSS (and all that followed), then Model 1 without HD Graphics text. EU (or at least UK) seems to have been relatively the same. IIRC there were more releases of non-TMSS in EU than in the US.

However, what we are talking about here is the casing only. That has no real factor in game compatibility. What you are then looking at is the board revisions (the VA number) which do not always match up to the casing.

This is the type of topic you should ask on a dedicated forum, such as Sega-16. They even have a topic that might interest you "GUIDE: Telling apart good Genesis 1s and Genesis 2s from bad ones."
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

interesting so apprently tmss models have higher quality audio and sound but some games might be locked out as a trade off. kinda interesting to know

informative topic thnks.

i did know about the different specs but never knew that some games might be locked out as a result so that's nice to know.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 10:43:51 am by sworddude »

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 12:05:05 pm »
I've never owned a non-TMSS system myself, just a model 1 and 2. I haven't run across a game that works on one but not the other... at least that I'm aware of. Just games that just don't seem to work anymore... Then again, I don't think I've tried on both models to see if it was a compatibility issue.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 12:33:59 pm »
I've never owned a non-TMSS system myself, just a model 1 and 2. I haven't run across a game that works on one but not the other... at least that I'm aware of. Just games that just don't seem to work anymore... Then again, I don't think I've tried on both models to see if it was a compatibility issue.

I have had some games wich worked on one system but not on the other and it's consistent. model 2 always works never had a game failed on that one. i had some broken games but those games when non broken work on all consoles and had some collection copies to compare.

It's a very small amount only seen a couple of games that have this usually the games that are not worth playing.