Author Topic: Was there a game you weren't allowed to play growing up?  (Read 2174 times)

jcalder8

Was there a game you weren't allowed to play growing up?
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:22:40 pm »
When I was younger my mom let me play pretty much anything for the Genesis and then I rented Road Rash 2 for the first time. I had it for a week and she watched me play it a couple days in and she saw me hit a cop on a bike and that was the last time I got to play a Road Rash game for about 8 years.

Anyone else not allowed to play a game?

scott

Re: Was there a game you weren't allowed to play growing up?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:26:47 pm »
Not here, my folks were pretty easy on video games. I was more restricted from watching some TV shows/ movies, but even then it was a rare case. I think I watched Revenge of the Nerds when I was fairly young and I think I was about 13-14 when I saw Porkies for the first time, haha.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:39:52 pm by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:34:52 pm »
Nope. I sometimes played Mortal Kombat as a kid and my parents didn't care as long as I had an adult with me while playing.

The only times my mom didn't buy me certain games was because she played them before me and figured I wouldn't like them.... which is why I didn't get a Virtual Boy as a kid :P

The only thing I can remember related to this is my parents prohibiting South Park. But I didn't like that back then (and still don't) so whatever.

faxmachine

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:19:46 pm »
All Mortal Kombats were strictly forbidden. That, and any grand theft auto game. My dad would flip.

soera

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »
The only game I wasnt allowed to play when I was younger was hide the pickle.

Oh, video games? ....

darko

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:11:46 pm »
Mortal Kombat was the only one that I can remember. I just went to my neighbor's house to play it...on the Genesis...with BLOOD!

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:15:14 pm »
My dad told me to go easy on "violent" games like Fury 3 and MechWarrior 2.. but when he came over OH HEY KIDS LET'S PLAY MORTAL KOMBAT TRILOGY, IT'S ALL GOOD.

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 11:46:44 pm »
My parents do not allow any rated M games in the house.  Thats not really a problem though since most of my gaming is on older consoles. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 04:22:39 am »
any thing that was rated t or m

amauriel

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:30:47 am »
My parents were actually super strict when I was a kid, and I lived on a farm so there was no easy way to just go to a friend's house to play games.

I won a contest online when I was 13 or 14 and got to get $100 in video games on a website. I got Link's Awakening DX, Rogue Squadron, and Goldeneye. When Bond came in and shot the screen when I powered it on, my mom threw a fit, saying I'd deceived her about the type of game it was.

Needless to say, I didn't try games like GTA until College.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

psydswipe

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:17 am »
The ESRB wasn't established until the year after I finished high school. While games did have violence I don't think they were graphic. I doubt my parents would have cared too much if they actually saw them, though I don't think they ever really did since I had a TV in my room (specifically to keep me off of the main TV). My father took no interest in my hobbies so I doubt he had any idea as to what I was playing. Not sure my mother had any idea what I was playing either. She played some games with me but just game shows and stuff like that. That said, I'm not sure I played anything bad  :D I did rent Mortal Kombat and Road Rash, and when I was 16 I played Night Trap on Sega CD which I don't think is all that bad even though it later received a M rating for 32X CD.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:38:48 am »
The only thing close to censorship at my house for video games came a little before Christmas when I was in 6th grade.  I had Mortal Kombat for the SNES near the top of the list.  My mom set me down and said, "Do you know what Mortal Kombat means?"  I said, "Yeah, you kill the other guy."  Being the smart ass I was, I went on with my logic, "Mom, how much Duck Hunt have I played on my Nintendo?  Have I ever wanted to go duck hunting?"  I still think that is pretty sound logic.  She still likes to tell that story.  She thinks that's big league funny.

In case you're wondering, I got Mortal Kombat that Christmas.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:41:50 am by turf »

jobocan

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:03:01 am »
The only thing close to censorship at my house for video games came a little before Christmas when I was in 6th grade.  I had Mortal Kombat for the SNES near the top of the list.  My mom set me down and said, "Do you know what Mortal Kombat means?"  I said, "Yeah, you kill the other guy."  Being the smart ass I was, I went on with my logic, "Mom, how much Duck Hunt have I played on my Nintendo?  Have I ever wanted to go duck hunting?"  I still think that is pretty sound logic.  She still likes to tell that story.  She thinks that's big league funny.

In case you're wondering, I got Mortal Kombat that Christmas.

This is nice. It was actually pretty similar for me. Some of my parents' friends at the time MK came out were almost outraged to learn that I played the game (didn't have it, but played it whenever I got the chance at other peoples' houses). My parents were confused at that and just said "It's just a game and Jonathan knows that it's not real". That usually shut them up.

madmax

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 01:29:18 am »
I was allowed any game I wanted. I wasn't the kind of kid that would go out and do stupid things, my parents understood that I was smart enough not to be stupid with games.