Author Topic: What's the best deal you've gotten on classic video games?  (Read 2278 times)

jipsy

Mine would either be:
I got a working PS1 and a working GameBoy for $10 or I got a PS2 with 20 games, 5 controllers, 4 memory cards, a bunch of old strategy guides, and an unopened copy of Socom U.S. Navy Seals with the headset for $20
Jipsy

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: What's the best deal you've gotten on classic video games?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 08:13:59 pm »
I got a free Mario Brothers arcade machine and Sega Dreamcast kiosk for helping a friend move once.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 08:23:56 pm »
I got Chrono Trigger for $1.99 because I rented it after SNES was no longer supported, and when I returned it, the video store was clearing out their SNES games to make more room for N64/PS1 games and told me to keep it.

jipsy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:24:23 pm »
I got a free Mario Brothers arcade machine and Sega Dreamcast kiosk for helping a friend move once.
I thought I was lucky with my finds but this is next level!
Jipsy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:27:00 pm »
all at once my little sister decided to give me her entire console and game collection out of the blue including the following

GameCube, PS2 slim, Xbox360 Slim and original Wii and tons of games from my sister for only 3 monthly payments of $100 (by my own choice) she was giving them too me, I saw that they were in decent condition so I decided to pay her once a month for 3 months, One of the games was A copy of "Smash Bros Malee" for the Nintendo GameCube.

I also got 2 PS2 memory cards, with 2 of the larger capacity  Gamecube memory cards. all the wires controllers and needed hookups for my CRT for all those consoles.

there is more but it's been a long time. Most of the video games she gave me I never even heard of one was a mint condition game that last time I looked 2 people on this site own it. some kind of Nickelodeon cartoon video game on ps2.

I also got Dark Souls 1 and 2, and Skyrim and Minecraft from her as well as a ton of other games I would have never had without her.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:34:44 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 08:32:29 pm »
I thought I was lucky with my finds but this is next level!
yep when we got to his new house he realized he had no room for them so he let me keep them! You should of seen the stuff he kept!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:34:25 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 08:37:03 pm »
Probably the one time someone on CL was selling their Atari 2600 with a bunch of games and multiple controllers for $10. Under normal circumstances I wouldnt have gotten it since I never saw myself getting anything before the NES but the price was too good to pass up. However it got better as I was messaging the seller who then said before I was to pick it up that he would lower it to $5 to ultimately free. So what he wanted to sell he just decided before I was to pick it up to give it away. I drove a bits to get to the house where he left the box of stuff in his front porch, picked it up, sent a thank you text and was on my way. I do still have it with everything that was given but I would like to get rid of it since I dont see myself really using or needing tbh.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 08:51:55 pm »
CIB James Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing for the Master system for $3 from a reseller.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 09:35:15 pm »
I've had quite a few over the years, but here are a few that standout:

-bought a stack of CIB PS1 games from a garage sale for $2 each. Included Ogre Battle, Valkyrie Profile, Ehrgiez, FF8, Hexen, and a handful of other games.

-bought an N64 lot at the flea market once that included an ice blue N64, and about 50 games for $50. Included Mario Party 3, Conker, both Banjo games, both Castlevania games, and pretty much all game included were all quality titles.

-used to go to a local used media store that sold all retro games (pre-7th gen) for $3 regardless of title. Found countless scores there over the years before they went out of business. Just to name a few; .Hack Quarentine (x2), Haunting Ground (x4 or 5), Operation Genesis (x2), Skies of Arcadia(both GC and DC versions), Winning Post, Mega Man X4 on Saturn, Saturn Bomberman, and Klonoa.

-found Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and FF3 on SNES all CIB for $100 total.

jipsy

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 09:39:59 pm »
Just remembered more stuff, I go to the thrift store often and buy games for super cheap.  These games are usually not the greatest but have helped me fill out my Xbox 360 collection. (not on the website yet)  At some point I went to the store and instantly went to the game section and the first thing I saw was NBA Jam T.E. in the box with the manuals for $1 and it was half priced media day so $0.50.
Jipsy

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 10:08:38 pm »
For some reason, what comes to mind was the time I scored DK Country 2 and 3 WITH a SNES console for $3 at a flea market. That was in 2010, I believe. I also found a Swordquest: Waterworld 2600 cartridge for like $2, I think? Not a game I really wanted, but couldn't pass it up for that price.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 10:40:59 pm »
I’ve gotten my share of good bundles, but the one that sticks out the most was when I got Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country 3, and Contra 3 for $19.  Or Mega Man 2 and 3 for $3.

ffxik

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 11:19:39 pm »
Probably the best was Dragon Force and Shining the Holy Ark for the Saturn.  I picked those up for $8 a piece CIB.

I went in expecting to pay full price for them or at least close to it.  The owner of the shop was kinda a friend, so when he cut me that deal I spent another $200 in there as a thank you.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 12:32:00 am »
If it's strictly retro just two come to mind
-PAL PS1 copy of Gex for $30. Goes for about quadruple that online now. Seller restricted shipping to Aus only so that helped me grab it early.
-Ordered a copy of a Piggyback MGS1 guide for $20, turns out it was sealed and came with an additional sealed demo disc attached. Goes for $500+ on amazon.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 12:38:49 am »
Final Fantasy 6, Super Metroid, and Mega Man X, CIB, nice condition, 20 bucks each.  One other would be Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for a dollar.  And one more good deal awhile back was I went to two Salvation Army's in one day and found like a dozen to twenty Dreamcast games.  Nothing in that was crazy pricey or anything, but I think I got them for like 2 bucks a piece or something.