Author Topic: Custom Switch spines  (Read 1863 times)

Custom Switch spines
« on: May 13, 2020, 10:25:10 am »
I found a cool subreddit where people are making their own custom spines for Nintendo Switch games since the actual spines are a little bit dull. I know some people don't like the look of printed covers for games, but I personally love the way mine look. The sub is r/SwitchSpines. Here's a picture of a few of mine, I haven't finished cutting all of my spines out yet but I'm loving them so much that I had to share. https://imgur.com/a/3NzBQNq

dhaabi

Re: Custom Switch spines
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:17:25 pm »
I'm not too keen on custom or alternative artwork for game cases, but I think that spine alterations could be okay if done right. Although, I think that omitting the publisher panel would better promote the customization as something more official and altogether have the package look sleeker. Especially so since there are inconsistencies in the designs when you begin looking at Mortal Kombat 11. Having the spine artwork trapped between two ends is making the design less successful—at least to me.

Sorry if you weren't looking for any critiques or feedback, but I figured I'd throw in my opinion as being a designer.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 06:38:58 pm »
I'm not too keen on custom or alternative artwork for game cases, but I think that spine alterations could be okay if done right. Although, I think that omitting the publisher panel would better promote the customization as something more official and altogether have the package look sleeker. Especially so since there are inconsistencies in the designs when you begin looking at Mortal Kombat 11. Having the spine artwork trapped between two ends is making the design less successful—at least to me.

Sorry if you weren't looking for any critiques or feedback, but I figured I'd throw in my opinion as being a designer.

Oh, I didn't make these, I just found them on the subreddit and wanted to show how they looked. I definitely see what you mean with the publisher though. At the end of the day, if I get tired of them I can just take them out, so no harm done.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 02:58:05 am »
I heard this one guy ripped out his own spine to make a custom spine for a switch game.