Author Topic: Horror Fans Unite  (Read 2867 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Horror Fans Unite
« on: August 05, 2020, 04:27:57 pm »
Any other horror fans here?

What kind of stuff are you into? The classic Universal Monsters? Hammer Horror? Drive-in exploitation? VHS-era gorefests? Ghosts stories? Slashers? Zombies? Psychological horror?

I love the 80s-era stuff, personally. That was the golden age of horror. The explosion of VHS's popularity just blew the doors wide open for so many companies to give us so much different, cool stuff. And that was like the peak of practical special effects, which I will take good practical effects over CGI any day. When done right they look better. Plus I'm a sucker for slashers, and the 80s delivered in spades when it came to slashers. I'm not pigeon-holed into just 80s horror films, even though I tend to gravitate towards them, though.

Slashers, vampire movies, zombie movies, and ghost stories are my favorites. The George Romero "of the Dead" series of movies are my all-time favorites. Day of the Dead (1985) bein the best of the bunch, IMO. I'm also a big fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th franchises. The Lost Boys and Monster Squad were also big influences on me.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:44:20 pm by burningdoom »

Re: Horror Fans Unite
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 04:33:29 pm »
80's horror is 100% the sweet spot for me.  I like stuff from other eras, but you can almost always get me to sit down and watch a Friday the 13th flick or one of its many ripoffs. The early 90s direct-to-video market had some good stuff, too, and was basically like the 80s Part 2.  Especially the "evil bug" genre - Ticks, Mosquito, etc.

I'm also really impressed with a lot of the output of the 2010s.  Hereditary was my flat out favorite film of 2018.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 04:35:25 pm »
I'm mixed when it comes to horror, like I don't enjoy "scary" movies, that's not what I'm looking for, but I've been pretty big into the zombie genre, stuff like the Romero flicks, Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake, 28 Days/Weeks Later, etc...Casually into Friday the 13th (Jason is probably my favorite of the classic slasher villains), I liked the first Saw movie, and there's kind of a lot of random stuff from there I could pick out.  Horror comedy could be another thing to bring up, like Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, a few others that I enjoy.  For me a lot of the time, I'm much more into the setting than whether something is gory or "horror", which is why I tend to like zombie stuff, because it's usually post-apocalyptic, which is a favorite setting.

Probably the horror I'm least into, is stuff with body horror, other than Carpenter's The Thing, which is a great movie, and psychological horror.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:49:22 pm »
I'm mixed when it comes to horror, like I don't enjoy "scary" movies, that's not what I'm looking for, but I've been pretty big into the zombie genre, stuff like the Romero flicks, Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake, 28 Days/Weeks Later, etc...Casually into Friday the 13th (Jason is probably my favorite of the classic slasher villains), I liked the first Saw movie, and there's kind of a lot of random stuff from there I could pick out.  Horror comedy could be another thing to bring up, like Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, a few others that I enjoy.  For me a lot of the time, I'm much more into the setting than whether something is gory or "horror", which is why I tend to like zombie stuff, because it's usually post-apocalyptic, which is a favorite setting.

Probably the horror I'm least into, is stuff with body horror, other than Carpenter's The Thing, which is a great movie, and psychological horror.

So then you didn't like The Fly (80s version) or Rabid, then? (Both Cronenberg body horror.) Very body horror. Loved those. Just saw Rabid not too long ago.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 05:18:21 pm »
I don't know if I've ever seen The Fly, though I know about it, never heard of Rabid, but it's just not something I look for.  The Thing works so well to me because of the cast and setting, it's so good and all the practical effects are impressive.  it's just not something I seek out.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 05:44:41 pm »
Mostly 70's, 80's, 90's stuff, particularly slashers.   My favorite horror movie is probably Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  The only type of horror movies I don't like are the Saw and Hostel type movies.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 08:23:49 pm »
I love 70s, 80s and 90s horror. Stuff like Hellraiser and Candyman especially, so good.

thewelshman

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 11:15:33 am »
I went through a time where I was watching mostly Korean and Japanese Suspense Thrillers & Crime Thrillers.. I've never been a huge fan of just straight up gore movies as it generally comes off as hokey to me and not scary. What always gets me is uncomfortable situations and the unknown. One of note that I can remember are Chaser, Mother, I Saw the Devil, and Memories of Murder.

The Orphanage is a really creepy Spanish Supernatural horror film.

I tend to like the more obscure titles that catch me by surprise.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 11:40:59 am »
My favorite horror movie of all-time:

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 02:26:52 pm »

Day of the Dead is great.  I know where the opening scene was shot since moving to Florida and I got to meet the guy who played Rhodes and one other guy at a convention a few years back.  I can't remember if I got autographs, but at the same little convention, I got to meet D.C. Douglas who voiced Wesker in a number of the Resident Evil games and got him to sign a copy of Resident Evil 5 lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 02:55:56 pm »

Day of the Dead is great.  I know where the opening scene was shot since moving to Florida and I got to meet the guy who played Rhodes and one other guy at a convention a few years back.  I can't remember if I got autographs, but at the same little convention, I got to meet D.C. Douglas who voiced Wesker in a number of the Resident Evil games and got him to sign a copy of Resident Evil 5 lol

That sounds awesome! I've been to comic conventions, and I've been to gaming conventions. Have yet to attend a horror convention, but want to. Planned on attended one in San Francisco this year, but you know, COVID-19. I did go to one at the local flea market, but that was hardly a real convention. Just a few people dressed up and a few guy selling movies.

If I was in that city, I'd be yelling, "Hello...is anybody out there?!" Wouldn't be able to help myself. And people would probably just think I'm a random crazy guy, lol.

And it's great you got to meet Joseph Pilato (Captain Rhodes). Would've loved to meet him, best role in the movie. He passed away not too long ago. Goriest scene I ever saw was when the zombies were pulling him apart from every angle. "Choke on em!"

Funny story about that scene: They used real pig's blood. Well one Friday afternoon after filming, the set crew went to put the pig's blood in the fridge, and somehow the fridge got unplugged. When they came back the next week, it reeked to the point the crew had to use clothespins. That's when they shot that scene. They couldn't wait for more blood because their budget wouldn't allow it, so they shot it anyways. And since Joseph Pilato was on camera, no clothespin on the nose for him, and he's covered in it. In an interview, Joseph Pilato says, "I can still smell it to this day." As he gags a little.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:58:46 pm by burningdoom »

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 08:32:25 pm »
My favorite horror series: the Puppet Master series. I don’t know why, I just enjoy them, in spite of numerous continuity issues through the movies. The third one is actually pretty good for a direct-to-video horror B-movie. I own the DVD box set and a number of the action figures, including the Full-Moon website exclusive 12-inch Blade.

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 06:56:20 pm »
My favorite horror series: the Puppet Master series. I don’t know why, I just enjoy them, in spite of numerous continuity issues through the movies. The third one is actually pretty good for a direct-to-video horror B-movie. I own the DVD box set and a number of the action figures, including the Full-Moon website exclusive 12-inch Blade.

I have a soft spot for the first 3, but all the stuff with the demon creatures is kind of awful.  Littlest Reich was kinda fun, but definitely went a touch too far in with the exploitative nature.

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 11:32:47 pm »
The first horror movie that I ever saw as a kid was Friday the 13th, which I remember watching alongside my mother. The first horror movie that I saw alone as a kid, if memory serves, was The Gate.

In all honesty, horror movies from the 80s and 90s are unrivaled compared to what's getting churned these days. Sure, there are definitely a few hits peppered throughout, but it still doesn't compare.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 04:50:25 pm »

This movie had a huge impact on me as a kid. I must have watched it 30 times over, and I still can pop it in and have a good time.

Anyone else seen this one? It's like The Goonies meets The Universal Monsters. And the guy that played Dracula, did a helluva job. I can't believe he didn't retain the role in a later movie.