Author Topic: Graded 1990 NWC Cart  (Read 4103 times)

teknophyl

Graded 1990 NWC Cart
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:22:34 am »
It's ended (surprised I didnt see anyone post about it before) on the 25th. Going starting price was $27,000. No takers. I don't know how I feel about the presentation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140740735543&clk_rvr_id=336660432315

Playing - KOTOR, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

scott

Re: Graded 1990 NWC Cart
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:36:47 am »
First of all, welcome to the site!

Secondly, I still don't understand grading of games and think its a total waste of money. Also why the hell would you open it up like that? Seems like a very poor choice, to me at least.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

teknophyl

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:10 am »
First of all, welcome to the site!

Secondly, I still don't understand grading of games and think its a total waste of money. Also why the hell would you open it up like that? Seems like a very poor choice, to me at least.

Thanks for the welcome.

I don't get what this seller was going for exposing the innards of the cart. They don't look any different than any other NES cart. I'm not surprised it didn't sell...

soera

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:13:29 pm »
The seller and I have had conversations. He's a long time member of NA. I personally like the display as its made to look like a museum piece. I cant imagine wanting to buy NWC gold to play anyhow. The games are some of the most common and there are repros out there everywhere. The only reason it didnt sell was cause the price is simply a lot for anyone to spend on damn near anything thats not a vehicle or a house.

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:53:59 am »
I think the seller ruined the entire point of wanting and owning a cartridge. If I am spending money on something I want it to be in working condition or I want a MASSIVE discount. There is no way to even tell if this copy even works. I honestly hope that he gets stuck with this monstrosity. Remind me to never buy a car off this guy or he will send me all the parts and tell me that I have to put it together myself.

soera

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:30 am »
Its basically a sealed gold NWC. And in the case its in, its not removable anyhow. The working condition of the game is irrelevant. He has taken a lot of shit about the way its displayed but ultimately it was his item to do as he wanted. As I mentioned before, I like the display personally. Shows a bit of class in it instead of just one shot, you get the whole thing. I just wish I could afford it!

darko

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:42:14 am »
I agree with @soera. Who cares that it's taken apart? If I had a gold NWC cart I'd want to display it in some fashion. That, to me, is the best way I've seen. It allows for anyone to have a look at the game in it's entirety without the possibility of damaging it. If you want to play it, buy a repro or download the rom. It's worth at least $10,000 in the worst of times, not something I would want to take a chance with. Also, who really cares if it works? The case itself is what's really worth the money.

teknophyl

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:54:32 am »
I agree with @soera. Who cares that it's taken apart? If I had a gold NWC cart I'd want to display it in some fashion. That, to me, is the best way I've seen. It allows for anyone to have a look at the game in it's entirety without the possibility of damaging it. If you want to play it, buy a repro or download the rom. It's worth at least $10,000 in the worst of times, not something I would want to take a chance with. Also, who really cares if it works? The case itself is what's really worth the money.

It's not about playing it so much as it is preserving its original shape. If I bought a car (which for that price, you could), I don't want someone to take the engine block out to prove to me that all the parts are original. You're not buying it to play it, you're buying it based purely on its historical and collectible significance. If it were "just the case" that was most important, anyone could take fake a cart body and throw Tecmo Bowl in the guts and call it authentic.

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:55 am »
Its basically a sealed gold NWC. And in the case its in, its not removable anyhow. The working condition of the game is irrelevant. He has taken a lot of shit about the way its displayed but ultimately it was his item to do as he wanted. As I mentioned before, I like the display personally. Shows a bit of class in it instead of just one shot, you get the whole thing. I just wish I could afford it!
I would say that it is the furthest away from a graded game as possible. I at least understand the purpose of grading sealed games, but in this case my Mario Vs Duck Hunt is in closer to original condition than this is in it's current state.

I feel that he deserves all the shit that he has and will get for it. I highly doubt that he had it graded for his own collection, he did it to try and raise the value of it. This isn't an item that he has had for years in this condition and is just now trying to sell, he had it done to increase it's worth.

And if you don't care if something works or not then I have copies of Dragon Warrior games that I will trade you for ones that you have that are working.

darko

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:25:18 am »
It's not about playing it so much as it is preserving its original shape. If I bought a car (which for that price, you could), I don't want someone to take the engine block out to prove to me that all the parts are original. You're not buying it to play it, you're buying it based purely on its historical and collectible significance. If it were "just the case" that was most important, anyone could take fake a cart body and throw Tecmo Bowl in the guts and call it authentic.

We're talking about 3 screws here. Seriously guys...3 screws. I fail to see how removing 3 screws takes it out of the realm of "historical and collectible significance". I'm willing to bet that you could replace the NWC screws with some Duck Hunt screws and there would be absolutely zero difference.

Actually, anyone could buy a repro cart, paint a case, swap out the guts of said case, print a sticker and pawn it off on some poor soul as legit. Someone could also do the same with the guts of an actual NWC cart and a repro of the game.

Also, if you do happen to purchase one of these carts someday, who's to say it hasn't been taken apart in the past? According to your logic, if it had been taken apart even once it's not worth it? Good luck finding one that comes with that guarantee.

I really don't get grading items but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have an 85 grade if it didn't work.

EDIT: You guys do realize that if a museum was showcasing an item like this that it would more than likely be taken apart & displayed in a similar fashion? That was this guys intent.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:40:09 am by darko »

teknophyl

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:01:19 am »

We're talking about 3 screws here. Seriously guys...3 screws. I fail to see how removing 3 screws takes it out of the realm of "historical and collectible significance". I'm willing to bet that you could replace the NWC screws with some Duck Hunt screws and there would be absolutely zero difference.

Actually, anyone could buy a repro cart, paint a case, swap out the guts of said case, print a sticker and pawn it off on some poor soul as legit. Someone could also do the same with the guts of an actual NWC cart and a repro of the game.

Also, if you do happen to purchase one of these carts someday, who's to say it hasn't been taken apart in the past? According to your logic, if it had been taken apart even once it's not worth it? Good luck finding one that comes with that guarantee.

I really don't get grading items but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have an 85 grade if it didn't work.

Bolded is absolutely true, you're right. But I think I would care less about it being an SMB/DH combo cart than this. To me, it's a value perception more than anything. It detracts from its worth based purely on my preconceived idea that it shouldnt have been dismantled. That's totally subjective.

And yep, a museum would have done the same thing, but it's for two different purposes in my opinion. The NWC is being sold for profit to, presumably, another collector who knows it's worth. As such, the potential buyer gets to decide whether they want to take it apart or not.

A museum would showcase it to the public because the public would possibly want to know what the carts looked like on the inside. I trust the museum and it's pedigree a lot more than someone on eBay.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 11:15:50 am »
Boy! We've got some serious opinions being thrown around in this thread! I love the forums :) **goes to grab a bowl of popcorn**
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

darko

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 11:56:15 am »
And yep, a museum would have done the same thing, but it's for two different purposes in my opinion. The NWC is being sold for profit to, presumably, another collector who knows it's worth. As such, the potential buyer gets to decide whether they want to take it apart or not.

A museum would showcase it to the public because the public would possibly want to know what the carts looked like on the inside. I trust the museum and it's pedigree a lot more than someone on eBay.

1) If someone wants a cart that's together they wouldn't want this one. Even if someone really, really wanted it they could put it back together. Hell, if you wanted it graded and together you could probably ship it back to the grading group and have them put it back together and repackage it for you.

2) I'm pretty sure that it was put in that case by the people who do the grading, not by the individual. As much as I disagree with the whole grading situation, that's as close to museum pedigree as you can currently get when it comes to video games.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:59:04 am by darko »

soera

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »
I would say that it is the furthest away from a graded game as possible. I at least understand the purpose of grading sealed games, but in this case my Mario Vs Duck Hunt is in closer to original condition than this is in it's current state.

I feel that he deserves all the shit that he has and will get for it. I highly doubt that he had it graded for his own collection, he did it to try and raise the value of it. This isn't an item that he has had for years in this condition and is just now trying to sell, he had it done to increase it's worth.

And if you don't care if something works or not then I have copies of Dragon Warrior games that I will trade you for ones that you have that are working.

What makes this not original other than the fact that its opened? The game wouldnt sell for under $20k regardless of the condition and if its screwed together. The way it sits now, its protected for life and guaranteed that its the actual legit 1990 NWC Gold copy. I care if a game works if Im going to play it ... but if Im buying it for a collection, then sealed is fine with me (half my dragon warrior collection actually is sealed and will never get played). And for the sake of the rest of this arguement, this is the thread from the actual owner on the day it was received back from VGA.
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=66782

matt

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 01:22:27 pm »
Boy! We've got some serious opinions being thrown around in this thread! I love the forums :) **goes to grab a bowl of popcorn**