Author Topic: PS4 Controller broken?  (Read 1803 times)

PS4 Controller broken?
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:17:45 am »
Woke up today to find my PS4 Dual-shock not wanting to co-operate - One feature of the D-4 I've always disliked is the they when I plug my USB Wire to the port in the controller, it always feels loose - this isn't my USB wire either all D-4 Controllers feel flimsy at the connection point!

When I plug in the controller in initially there is a yellow light to indicate it's charging, it glows once and then... nothing. usually when charging it will glow and change it's brightness but now, nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated -  I don't want to have to open it up as I remember the nightmares of trying to put a Dual-shock 3 back together...

Re: PS4 Controller broken?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 11:14:20 am »
Have you used more than one cable to see whether or not its the cable and not controller? I've had issues in the past where some cables I have used to connect simply would not respond but others have no issue.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:21:43 am »
Good suggestion, I've tried a couple and no dice :(

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 11:43:23 am »
Have you tried resetting the controller?

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 02:36:08 pm »
Is that something you can do on the PS4 recovery Menu?

Looked into it, I pressed the button and interestingly enough the controller is now charging but not activating on the PS4  - even when I press the PS button when plugged in via USB

I looked into this:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/370633/Light+bar+blinks+Orange+when+plugged+in+but+does+not+turn+white+or+blu

So I went into my device settings, Bluetooth and asked the console to wipe the device. I then paired it and it works for like 5 sections and then konks out everytime - The battery says its fully charged in the brief moment it is working too.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:04:44 pm by vivigamer »

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:24:35 pm »
Ignore

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 03:25:22 pm »
Is that something you can do on the PS4 recovery Menu?

Looked into it, I pressed the button and interestingly enough the controller is now charging but not activating on the PS4  - even when I press the PS button when plugged in via USB

I looked into this:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/370633/Light+bar+blinks+Orange+when+plugged+in+but+does+not+turn+white+or+blu

So I went into my device settings, Bluetooth and asked the console to wipe the device. I then paired it and it works for like 5 sections and then konks out everytime - The battery says its fully charged in the brief moment it is working too.

When I said resetting I meant on the controller itself which you did. Before I rule out the battery being faulty, do you have another controller or is this one your only one?

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 03:25:31 pm »
The only thing I can think of might be the USB port, did you try all your controllers in a different USB port?

I know if my PC has lose USB ports, as well as my XBox360 it will not work, or it will work then stop working. If all USB devices and cords are loose then that USB port might be broken. You may or may not want to get it repaired. Or get a newer PS4
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 04:12:56 pm »
I've tried different wires and ports nothing - Now I just plugged it in and it's flashing yellow and fading ( Charging) So I will leave it to do so for a while and see what happens.

I do have another controller but I like having 2 for when friends are around - well we're around :P And swapping between the two so when one runs out I have another back-up ready to go.

I've had it roughly sine 2016 - I know as I got my PS4 Pro Prior to Final Fantasy XV & it's the controller I got with my PS4 Pro.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 08:13:20 pm »
 When I charge my Dualshock 4's They flash yellow once and no more when they are already charged sufficiently. About 8o% or better they won't continue to charge. I also buy charging bases which have a USB adapter that only requires to be installed once and stays there to rest in the charger base. I hate micro USB connectors on all devices and do what I can to use them as little or as gently as possible. But I think once the controllers battery is drained enough, it will continue to flash and charge.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 02:59:46 pm »
I'm considering it to be the battery, the good news is I have another controller which buttons jammed up so I decided to open both up

The damn batteries have different plugin-thingies!!!

Looking on the details on the battery I can't see any difference to know which battery I need to order should I get one online - I want the one with the smaller plugin thingy... Any ideas how to identify that?

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 06:40:11 pm »
Well I replaced the battery with the correct version but the controller still doesn't want to connect beyond 5 seconds... I'm stumped.