Author Topic: Need advice pertaining to games I no longer have room for in my house  (Read 1909 times)

I ask because as recent as a few months ago, I threw away my CRT setup which consisted of this storage of sorts at the bottom of where the CRT stood. It was one of those old school deals where one would put their DVDs, VCR units and whatnot but instead I put a few games in my collection and for the most part it was great however I couldn't see my games on display. I got rid of that not so much because of not being able to see them but rather, I wanted to get rid of the CRT which I did but then eventually I got rid of the unit in favor a media shelf which all in all looks better to me and gives me more breathing space. The problem with this is that it could not fit every game I had in that storage. What wound up happening is that the PS1 games I have went into this drawer in my room as well as 3DS and DS games. However, the drawer itself had my NES, SNES and Genesis collection and with no room for them, I put stored them away not inside the house but my garage however I don't know if this is a good idea unless I have some storage solution I am not aware of. Otheriwse, everything else I own is here with the exception of a box of games I am trying to sell.

What I am asking I guess is if there is a safer option to store those games since I dont have the room to display them atm lest I sell a bunch of games I have now to make space.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: Need advice pertaining to games I no longer have room for in my house
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 10:10:53 pm »
Not sure how many games were talking about but how about plastic totes small enough to fit under your bed? Might be better than the garage I've done this in the past myself.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 10:17:12 pm »
Not sure how many games were talking about but how about plastic totes small enough to fit under your bed? Might be better than the garage I've done this in the past myself.

Thats not a bad idea. I have 87 games combined between the 3 systems so it's not a whole lot all things considered. I would just need to measure to see how small I can go to fit in. Thanks!

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 11:31:21 pm »

I'm genuinely confused. The games you stored away, you don't want them? Or, just no where to put them?

You don't need that breathing space, just buy another shelf and put where the TV was. Or replace shelves that inadequately display your games with more efficient ones. Don't get frantic, call Atlantic. Specifically, to ask about their media shelf elite. 530 DVD size shelf capacity, 6 whole inches deep. Breathing and games living in harmony. It's a work of beauty.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 11:52:40 pm »

I'm genuinely confused. The games you stored away, you don't want them? Or, just no where to put them?

You don't need that breathing space, just buy another shelf and put where the TV was. Or replace shelves that inadequately display your games with more efficient ones. Don't get frantic, call Atlantic. Specifically, to ask about their media shelf elite. 530 DVD size shelf capacity, 6 whole inches deep. Breathing and games living in harmony. It's a work of beauty.

The games I stored away I have nowhere to put them in. The space that was once occupied by the TV has a media shelf now with as many games as I could possibly put from the prior setup but because I got rid of that, it left those games without a place to store in the house since I have very limited options as to where to store them.

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 12:04:46 am »
I modified my shelves in order to accommodate all my games, especially my PS1 collection, so that would be my suggestion.

What type of shelves do you have?

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 12:30:22 am »
I modified my shelves in order to accommodate all my games, especially my PS1 collection, so that would be my suggestion.

What type of shelves do you have?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RRH23W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this exact one. I needed something that wasnt too wide or to high to accommodate what little space I have

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 01:03:42 am »
It's not a good idea, in my experience to put your games or consoles/deices anywhere that has no climate control, I would not recommend the garage, attic and especially not an outdoor shed.

I recommend buying a deeper shelving unit, (tall and skinny sized)  that can hold more games while taking less space, I also recommend re-sorting your collection to video game genre. but that is my setup. I myself have a sizable collection of various games, all my collection is sorted by the type of game it is, for example FPS games are on a dedicated shelf and I have paper signs telling me where they are stored, since I don't have a display at all.

The Immortal John Hancock on YouTube may not have a setup like mine. But I do remember him stating in one video his collection is double decked meaning he's got some games behind other games on his wall shelves.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:43:17 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 12:47:31 pm »
I use a lot of cost effective storage for my collection. I don't live in a big house either, you could also, use storage bins that you can buy at stores like Dollar General, or Walmart. You can buy crates and store part of your collection in there. Most of my own consoles are stuffed inside bins with controllers. I just dig them out when I use them. It's nicer in my own opinion to have a library like setup in your home but, sometimes we have to make due with what we have. In my case my collection placed inside wherever I could find room.

in an entertainment center, also a skinny 1 and half a foot deep shelving unit, a night stand with it's own cabinet 2 fiber wood DVD crates, An old farmers market fruit create and a de-attached dresser drawer

You can also put some shorter bins under beds like @wartoy was saying.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:54:23 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 06:41:13 pm »
i dont know how your room looks like, but if you have any open Wall space, maybe.... couple wall book cases?

or a Table that is also a chest?  I use one for my game room, were you can lift it up and grab controllers/skylanders/guitars that top of it usually keep clean and use it to rest my feet/food/drinks ;p
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 07:21:57 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RRH23W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this exact one. I needed something that wasnt too wide or to high to accommodate what little space I have

Yeah, that's specifically a media storage cabinet, so I don't think modifying it would do anything. If you don't have space for another, follow wartoy's advise. And seriously, don't store any of your games in your garage...ever.

I'm not sure if you're in the market, but if you are, Atlantic has some nice media shelves that I think would work for you; they're called The Summit and are designed for small spaces. I'm not sure if they're in stock, but Amazon should have them.

The Immortal John Hancock on YouTube

The confident trickster.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 07:44:59 pm »
I use a lot of cost effective storage for my collection. I don't live in a big house either, you could also, use storage bins that you can buy at stores like Dollar General, or Walmart. You can buy crates and store part of your collection in there. Most of my own consoles are stuffed inside bins with controllers. I just dig them out when I use them. It's nicer in my own opinion to have a library like setup in your home but, sometimes we have to make due with what we have. In my case my collection placed inside wherever I could find room.

in an entertainment center, also a skinny 1 and half a foot deep shelving unit, a night stand with it's own cabinet 2 fiber wood DVD crates, An old farmers market fruit create and a de-attached dresser drawer

You can also put some shorter bins under beds like @wartoy was saying.

What wartoy suggested is what I am aiming for as it is the only thing I can think of that could work with what I have however I will look at what you are suggesting to see if I try something with that as well.

i dont know how your room looks like, but if you have any open Wall space, maybe.... couple wall book cases?

or a Table that is also a chest?  I use one for my game room, were you can lift it up and grab controllers/skylanders/guitars that top of it usually keep clean and use it to rest my feet/food/drinks ;p

Ain't got wall room or room for a table. To illustrate how small my room is, it is the only room in the house with one window and my closet barely qualifies as a closet.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 07:52:24 pm »

Yeah, that's specifically a media storage cabinet, so I don't think modifying it would do anything. If you don't have space for another, follow wartoy's advise. And seriously, don't store any of your games in your garage...ever.

I'm not sure if you're in the market, but if you are, Atlantic has some nice media shelves that I think would work for you; they're called The Summit and are designed for small spaces. I'm not sure if they're in stock, but Amazon should have them.

The Immortal John Hancock on YouTube

The confident trickster.

I did a search and the shelf you mentioned was actually what I had originally considered getting however the height would have been an issue only because the area where I put my shelf is occupied with stuff I put on the wall so I got the one I have to be at a reasonable level to so not to mess with that plus top shelf is occupied with statues which looks nice to me. What wartoy suggested is what I will go for.

What is it about John Hancock that makes you call him a confident trickster. I've only heard of him in name and seen bits of his videos and I do know he's like buds or close to the inner circle of MJR

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 09:35:24 pm »

Thats not a bad idea. I have 87 games combined between the 3 systems so it's not a whole lot all things considered. I would just need to measure to see how small I can go to fit in. Thanks!
Glad to help

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 05:24:11 am »
I did a search and the shelf you mentioned was actually what I had originally considered getting however the height would have been an issue only because the area where I put my shelf is occupied with stuff I put on the wall so I got the one I have to be at a reasonable level to so not to mess with that plus top shelf is occupied with statues which looks nice to me. What wartoy suggested is what I will go for.

If height's the problem, they have plenty of options that might still work for you.

What is it about John Hancock that makes you call him a confident trickster. I've only heard of him in name and seen bits of his videos and I do know he's like buds or close to the inner circle of MJR

Because he is. Look him up and see for yourself.