Author Topic: Which consoles would be good for a SD Widescreen TV?  (Read 1262 times)

tripredacus

Which consoles would be good for a SD Widescreen TV?
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:32:46 am »
I've finally found a decent standard widescreen TV. Unfortunately it is not an HD CRT, as I've not had any good luck finding one of those that isn't damaged in some way. It is an flat panel and uses a computer resolution of 1366x768. It works for its primary purpose, which is to watch widescreen VHS tapes without using a pillbox, meaning the video extends to the full display.

It is taking the place of the 4:3 CRT TV which I had the Saturns connected to and that setup will have to get moved to a different place. And it got me to think about what consoles will natively support the new widescreen TV without the use of hacks. I do not want to use any systems or games that will put a 4:3 image onto the screen or use horizontal stretching. So basically just SD (Standard Definition) widescreen content only, such as widescreen VHS does.

I know that the Dreamcast is out because those required edited ISOs. I thought about the PS2 since it does have a widescreen option in the menu. I think that anything that supports Full HD such as the PS3 is out of this discussion, since I have actual HD TVs to connect those systems to.

The TV has inputs for Composite, S-Video, Component and DVI. There is probably an RF connection also. This is an NTSC set in the US.

Re: Which consoles would be good for a SD Widescreen TV?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 03:08:52 pm »
As far as console goes the only one I know of is PS2 since you said PS3 is out of discussion.

Some video games let you change to widescreen 4:3 to 16:9 in the option menu, but I can't remember which ones, it's been too long. You said you don't want any horizontal stretching.
The best advice I can give you just try fooling with a console settings or fooling with the display options on any of your video games.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:00:38 pm »
Hey Trip,

Can you provide the model # of the TV?  I'll take a look at the specs and let you know what I think.

Thanks!

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:02:18 pm »
Original Xbox and GameCube have a decent number of widescreen games. You might also want to hook a Wii up to it since I believe all of the games on the system support widescreen. Dreamcast, Saturn, PS1 and N64 each have a handful of games that support 16:9 resolutions as well, but not many. Those are the only systems I know of modern enough with non-hd resolutions but still with widescreen video. This is probably the definitive way to watch non-pillar / letter-boxed DVD videos as well too, right?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 11:24:14 am »
This is probably the definitive way to watch non-pillar / letter-boxed DVD videos as well too, right?

I have a UHD player that upscales DVDs to HD just fine. I will consider using this TV for non-surround widescreen DVDs. I have very few that fall into that category.

Hey Trip,

Can you provide the model # of the TV?  I'll take a look at the specs and let you know what I think.

Thanks!

It is Sony WEGA KLV-26HG2