Author Topic: Superman for PSX build finally released after 20 years.  (Read 807 times)

mrkonasoni

Superman for PSX build finally released after 20 years.
« on: December 02, 2020, 12:56:17 am »
|Start》|

Yeah at this point we all know the development hell and the atrocitius game that is Superman 64, I would love watch someday a truly large and deep analysis of the game, because Superman64 truly deserve it, It dont deserve a mediocre video of 10 minutes, it deserve a truly long documental of 10 hours analyzing the smallest detail, I hope I live to see that day.

Anyway it is known that a company started porting the game to the PSX making it actually a good game instead of an ugly unfinished tech demo that can cause claustrofobia, but when the game was finished, Titus lost the license of Superman and couldn't get other one, unfortunately and then the game was just cancelled and shelved for all eternity.

Supposedly the story is that someone in 2011 or 2012 actually had this build of the game and sold it on ebay to someone that posted gameplay online, the person indeed wanted to release the demo but like it has been said before some collectors have problems with this kind of content being released to the public, anyway after 8 long years the build was finally released and posted on Deviantart from all places
(Seriously, why a drawing community? Why not archive.org or Hidden Palace? Lost Media Wiki? Why the place that everyone at their 9s years use for post their fanfiction couples sketches?).

Unfortunately it seem that after some controversy with the subject of collectors the page was deleted, but fortunately a smart guy downloaded the game and posted it online on Archive.org for everyone.

I won't post links.
But after watching a few gameplay, yeah, the game looks just way better and actually good, I am not sure if it completed but I guess someone will post a full walkthrough soon.

But for now, it feels like the story of Superman 64 can finally end with a happy ending at last.

Cancelled roms for games count as abandonware right?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:59:33 am by mrkonasoni »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

Re: Superman for PSX build finally released after 20 years.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 02:01:52 am »
I am happy to hear this, since Superman 64 was such a mess, according to YouTube videos I've seen of it. I feel that game had the right idea, because Superman 64 could have been better but was not. Like an open world game with superman running (edit) or flying around a city like Gran Theft Auto or True Crimes Streets Of LA style. and save lives like stopping bank robberies, led by Kryptonite or some other Superman Universe bad guys to fight, Believe it or not Die Hard Trilogy 1 on the PlayStation 1, had a sorta open world segment in the third game section, so (an open world game on the PlayStation 1) could  vary well could have been done as early as 1995 on the PlayStation 1. Maybe even on the Nintendo 64 cartridge games.

Speaking of Nintendo 64 I think they could have squeezed more exploring in Superman 64 for the Nintendo 64 since there was games like Battletanx and Battletanx Global Assault on the Nintendo 64 I know there were hardware limits but with a little more work I do think that a PSX version of Superman 64 could have been somewhat open world. But not like they can with the technology today.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:08:48 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 04:55:08 am »
Watched a little gameplay and while it doesn't look like a particularly good game to me, at least it's not a complete abomination like Superman 64.  It'll be interesting to see some breakdowns of the game from other people willing to put the time into it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 11:33:41 am »
If it's a port of the N64 game, no matter how well polished it may be, it's still gonna suck. The core gameplay is the problem with it.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 01:21:44 pm »
If it's a port of the N64 game, no matter how well polished it may be, it's still gonna suck. The core gameplay is the problem with it.

I agree since I don't know why Superman needs to fly through rings, I never played Superman 64 so forgive me if I'm wrong, from what I hear Superman 64 was a glitchy and broken, and all or most of the flying segments were like some kind of arcade game. Where you needed to fly through rings in a given time limit or you had to do the stage over or something.

As far as I know Superman 64 had no open world section, but I was just saying how cool it would have been if it was open world
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 01:22:48 pm »
You should watch the complete play through of the 64 version by Mike Matei. It's brutal, even just to watch it. But he actually completed it.

That game was so far from playable, it should have been a crime to release it as they did. It actually sold really well, too. Because people at the time wanted to play a modern Superman game where you're flying around in 3D and saving the planet. Hundreds of thousands of normies got conned basically, picking it up back in the day for $60. There should have been a class-action lawsuit over that trash pile. It was pretty much false advertising, the way they promoted it and promised so many things that didn't represent the actual end product. Titus knowingly took advantage of people releasing it. They knew it was trash.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 01:24:27 pm by Warmsignal »

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 01:59:54 pm »

As horrible as it is, I lowkey want a CIB copy of Superman 64. Not that I'll ever play it but I'm a huge Superman fan and collect super-hero related games. I've had PLENTY of chances to pick up the cart but since all of my other N64 games are CIB it'd be off-kilter.  :P