Author Topic: Does Anyone Remember Red Faction 1 and 2 For PlayStation 2?  (Read 1243 times)

Does Anyone Remember Red Faction 1 and 2 For PlayStation 2?
« on: April 11, 2021, 10:15:16 pm »

1st one was Released in the year (May 23 2001) for the US PS2 (according to the datebase) and was made by THQ video game company.

This was an early PlayStation 2 game.

For those who never heard of the first game in this series, it was (as far as I know of) the vary first FPS game that had almost fully destructible game maps.
kind of like what the EA's DICE game engine was.

(Internet Quote)
DICE started development of the original Frostbite technology in April 2004 and subsequently used it in their first entry of the Bad Company series, Battlefield: Bad Company.

The levels inside Red Faction 1 and 2 were even more destructible that games like Duke Nukem 3D PC released in in 1996. if you shot a rocket launcher at a any wall in Red Faction 1 and 2 it would leave a giant hole in the wall. This games also has bot multiplayer if you cannot get into the single player campaign. I personally love the red faction 1 single player campaign but up until when I encountered what I once said about this game before on here.

Any game where you need to get stealthy in a 3D first or 3rd person camera angle environment. But As far as hours go it depends on how frustratingly difficult the game is, I usually drop a game when it becomes a choir to play.

Here is a whopper of a game that for me, went from all time favorite to I don't want to play this game again feeling.

Red Faction 1 for the PlayStation 2 where I played and loved the first part of the game, but then comes the mission where I have all my guns stripped from me, except for a pistil with vary limited ammo.

And I need to pass a stealth mission. in which when ANY NPC or hidden camera sees you. It triggers an alarm and you all of a sudden get infinite amount of guards that spawn into the level. And they do not drop ANY ammo when they die, pretty much all you can do once your seen is to die and do the whole thing over.

I watched someone on Youtube that got farther then I did in the original Red Faction for the PlayStation 2, and he said there is another stealth mission soon after that one on an even more brutal difficulty.

Red Faction is so difficult that the guy I saw I YouTube said out right flat he did not ever finish that games campaign.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:25:46 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

Re: Does Anyone Remember Red Faction 1 and 2 For PlayStation 2?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 12:29:07 am »
Love Red Faction- both 1 and 2. I actually finished the campaign on the PS4- PS2 classics version a few years ago. Still a great game. And not as hard as I remember. I got stuck when I was a kid.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 01:18:17 am »
Loved the first two games, the destructible map of the first game was so impressive.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 03:08:35 am »
I played it a couple hours because once they were offering the PS4 port with extra games for just 1 buck.

Like most people I certainly thought the destructible enviroments were a nice touch.

But I also think the game had a good level design with massive stages, good weapons and a good difficulty.

I certainly wonder how much you can destroy one stage
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 09:31:01 am »
I played it a couple hours because once they were offering the PS4 port with extra games for just 1 buck.

Like most people I certainly thought the destructible enviroments were a nice touch.

But I also think the game had a good level design with massive stages, good weapons and a good difficulty.

I certainly wonder how much you can destroy one stage

On my first play  of Red Faction 1 on the PlayStation 2, I found a drivable mine vehicle that let me make my own tunnels towards the beginning of the game. I got vary far into the game map though I might have reached the edge of the playable area because I dug a deep hole and the game made it look like I could go on forever.

But, my knowledge of video games leads me to believe you can only dig so far of a hole.

also during a multiplayer bot match I somehow managed to blow a hole till the outside of the game building was showing on the towards the ceiling
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:35:27 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 12:49:15 pm »
Red Faction 2 was the game that got me into the FPS genre. Prior to that it wasn't on my radar. From there I went to the first game and really like the gameplay, setting, the destructible environments and plot though I don't remember it but to be fair, it has been well over a decade since I played it.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 01:08:46 pm »
Yeah, I played both RF 1 & 2, and I remember the hype behind RF 1’s destructible environments. They were OK games. I did finish both of them, but I still have visions of those godforsaken “stealth” missions. Kind of questionable game design when the most fun parts of the earlier levels are stripped out for mediocre stealth missions later on.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 02:21:48 pm »
I loved blowing my way through levels.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 03:10:41 pm »
Here is a brief description of the drivable mine vehicle in Red Faction 1 for the PS2. it's kind of a hidden feature of the game and according to this description below it only appears one time in the entire single player campaign

(this description was copied and pasted from the following sorce, but this website in the link had too many popups for my enjoyment.)
https://redfaction.fandom.com/wiki/Driller

Description
The vehicle appears as a tank, which is technically a tunnel boring machine. it Features 2 drills to make tunnels on almost everything, except for hard steel that makes up the doors of the mine shaft. An advantage of this is, unlike armed vehicles, it has almost infinite uses until it requires maintenance making it unusable for tunneling. However, to make an efficient way to kill enemies, is to drive through them.

Entering it you can see a green monitor, which is a night-vision camera to see in the dark, along with the drills on the sides of the monitor. On the top-left there is a Driller's HP and when you click the secondary mouse button, it changes the camera view from left-right sides and backwards. However every once in a while you need to give it another drill bit.

NO APPS NEEDED

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 07:47:42 pm »
I loved Red Faction  1 and 2 but thought 1 was better I remember being impressed when i found a underground cavern with a pond by tunneling with c4  deep underground!

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 11:50:45 am »
I played Red Faction 1 for PC back in the day. The destructible environments were incredible for the time and gave you some creativity in how to defeat your enemies. I remember one part where you're fighting some enemies on a bridge, and you can collapse the bridge instead of just having a straight up shoot out with the enemy.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 12:26:02 pm »
The Geomod engine is great and I really wish more games used something similar. Only Battlefield seems to come close, but nothing quite like what was seen in Red Faction. I played it on PC of course, the entire first game and the second game only until the timed level near the end. I despise timed levels, especially when everything is exploding. My clan server also ran Red Faction dedicated for awhile. It was nice because the anti-cheat would give cheaters flight and invincibility, but make their weapon damage zero. MP was pretty crazy since you could pretty much destroy the entire map, which some people liked but usually people preferred the gun that can see through walls.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 09:54:50 pm »
The Geomod engine is great and I really wish more games used something similar. Only Battlefield seems to come close, but nothing quite like what was seen in Red Faction. I played it on PC of course, the entire first game and the second game only until the timed level near the end. I despise timed levels, especially when everything is exploding. My clan server also ran Red Faction dedicated for awhile. It was nice because the anti-cheat would give cheaters flight and invincibility, but make their weapon damage zero. MP was pretty crazy since you could pretty much destroy the entire map, which some people liked but usually people preferred the gun that can see through walls.

Halo:Combat Evolved ending level left me fatigued and swearing all the way till each time I beat that game. but I definite like it more then those Red Faction 1 Stealth Missions.

NO APPS NEEDED