Author Topic: JP Nintendo 64 on a NA TV's?  (Read 1074 times)

mastodon

JP Nintendo 64 on a NA TV's?
« on: December 02, 2021, 08:41:44 pm »
Is it ok to play Japanese N64's on North American CRT's and/or upscaled to HDTV?

aliensstudios

Re: JP Nintendo 64 on a NA TV's?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 09:03:03 pm »
Yeah it is. Japanese and North American video is in the NTSC standard, so consoles from each region should run on the others' equipment no problem.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

mastodon

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 05:14:30 am »
Yeah it is. Japanese and North American video is in the NTSC standard, so consoles from each region should run on the others' equipment no problem.

I heard the JP N64 runs at 50htz and the NA N64 runs at 60htz. If true, would it matter on my NA TV's?

kypherion

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 11:13:08 am »
It's fine, in fact I speedran the JP version of Mario 64 with no issues whatsoever. N64 region lock are physical plastic tabs, nothing to do with software on any level.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 01:15:36 pm »

I heard the JP N64 runs at 50htz and the NA N64 runs at 60htz. If true, would it matter on my NA TV's?
The Japanese N64 runs at 60hz. The PAL systems released in Europe and Australia run at 50hz however. On modern TVs, most of them can display 50hz and 60hz content just fine, but older CRTs aren't as forgiving.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

mastodon

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 03:16:29 pm »

The Japanese N64 runs at 60hz. The PAL systems released in Europe and Australia run at 50hz however. On modern TVs, most of them can display 50hz and 60hz content just fine, but older CRTs aren't as forgiving.

Thanks guys for the info.