Author Topic: What are your favorite hidden gems in your collection?  (Read 4526 times)

gngtiger

Re: What are your favorite hidden gems in your collection?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 06:35:18 pm »
The term "hidden gem" has always rubbed me the wrong way, even before Metal Jesus drove it into the ground.

His channel is where I got the term from, as well as many games to add to my wishlist. I have to check the prices a good amount of times on those games he mentions, because some of them skyrocket in value (even though he has stated that he never intends to drive up prices). If there's a game in one of his videos that looks interesting, and it's averaging under 20 bucks, it's going on my list.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 08:18:00 pm »
NES:
Shatterhand - The best action platformer on the system that no one talks about
Vice: Project Doom - Combines 3 genres in a way Adventures of Bayou Billy only wishes it could
Gremlins 2 - Exceptional graphics and music. Hard but fun.

SNES
Super Baseball 2020 - Plays almost exactly like Baseball Stars 2 on Neo Geo, but more fun and outrageous

PS2
Gauntlet Dark Legacy - Not sure why but I have a blast with this game. The music is a hidden gem in itself and includes a few recurring melodies like the original NES Gauntlet title music.

N64
Tetrisphere - One of my favorite puzzle games.

Game Boy
Revenge of the Gator - Great pinball game on the little handheld.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:22:12 pm by undertakerprime »

brothertuc

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 08:58:32 am »
Futurama for the PS2...
I don't even know if can technically call it a "hidden gem", but it is very rare and expensive here in Denmark.
It's not really that good of a game, but I enjoy it anyways

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 11:13:42 am »
The term "hidden gem" has always rubbed me the wrong way, even before Metal Jesus drove it into the ground.

His channel is where I got the term from, as well as many games to add to my wishlist. I have to check the prices a good amount of times on those games he mentions, because some of them skyrocket in value (even though he has stated that he never intends to drive up prices). If there's a game in one of his videos that looks interesting, and it's averaging under 20 bucks, it's going on my list.

I'm not a fan of Metal Jesus in general. Beyond his copious use of the term hidden gem to describe games that are hardly hidden, he's one of the laziest big youtubers I've ever seen. Half his videos are done by other people while he just stands there looking stupid. Yet he collects the ad revenue...

But yeah, big youtubers have been responsible for jacking up prices for years now. Occasionally I'll see a game posted on an online marketplace for some ridiculous amount of money when it was like 5x cheaper just a few months ago. 90% of the time when I do some digging some big youtube channel did a review on it or it appears in a Top 10 video or something.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 03:44:48 pm »

I'm not a fan of Metal Jesus in general. Beyond his copious use of the term hidden gem to describe games that are hardly hidden, he's one of the laziest big youtubers I've ever seen. Half his videos are done by other people while he just stands there looking stupid. Yet he collects the ad revenue...

But yeah, big youtubers have been responsible for jacking up prices for years now. Occasionally I'll see a game posted on an online marketplace for some ridiculous amount of money when it was like 5x cheaper just a few months ago. 90% of the time when I do some digging some big youtube channel did a review on it or it appears in a Top 10 video or something.

https://youtu.be/yIhH-_BXPr8?t=211

speaking of the metal jesus gamesack made a funny skit about it. at 3.31  ;D
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 05:53:40 pm »
The only game that really springs to mind is Imperialism, an old PC strategy / world-building / sim game.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 11:37:34 am »
Terranigma is a game very few have heard of, yet it's one of the best Action RPGs on the SNES. The music in this game is incredible, as is the story and gameplay. Since the PAL version is unoptimized (and the only official English version), I went with an NTSC repro cart after my first playthrough on emulator.

Agreed, I recently completed that one and find myself beautifully haunted by its music.  Like Illusion of Gaia before it, you really must complete the game to really appreciate it. 

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 11:49:36 pm »
Suikoden one of the best RPG series ever as each game save impacted the sequel. Different things happened if you found certain Stars (party mates).

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 03:20:04 am »
Azure Dreams for GBC - stumbled apon this game in the early PokéMon era and tho it seems to be some sort of clone, this game got me hooked longer than any other GB game I ever played.
Monsters look way cooler, and it was my first trip into the awesome world of roguelike games.
Whole game is around reaching the top of a 30floor Tower ... only to reveal, that there's a 99floor Basement :D It totally blew my  mind back in the days and therefore it was one of the first must-haves when I started collecting.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 10:20:12 am »
Suikoden one of the best RPG series ever as each game save impacted the sequel. Different things happened if you found certain Stars (party mates).
Wow, will have to check it out!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 04:35:44 am »
Wow, will have to check it out!

I can sign that statement! Suikoden and Suikoden II are really great games: SNES-graphics with PS1-capabilities, up to 101 Characters to achieve and level up! Not all Suikoden-titles are directly connected in story, but those two defenitely are and I really enjoyed playing them! A must for every RPG-Fan
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 05:28:57 am »
Daikatana for the Gameboy Colour
Assault Suits Valken for the Playstation 2
Overlord: Dark Legend for the Wii
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

Warmsignal

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 12:15:54 pm »

But remember, if you contribute to his Patreon, you'll get early access to the list of games that are about to be featured on HIDDEN GEMS. What a deal!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 01:21:36 pm »
I like MetalJesusRocks, been watching him for years. He's a guy that likes video games, beer, and metal music, definitely cool in my book.

And it's hardly his fault that collectors are rabid and jack up prices after he posts a video. I mean what's he supposed to do about that?

Warmsignal

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2022, 01:34:13 pm »
Maybe he could stop being a tool, and actually know something about console games and game collecting before he brings people on explain it all for him?

Don't really get what's to like about the guy. He's a host on his own channel, he knows relatively little, gets paid by the channel to amass this huge room of stuff, enables reselling pirates to run scams, engages in e-begging, etc. He doesn't actually produce anything worthwhile to the average retro gamer. Other people make that content possible for him, he's just the face of it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 01:41:31 pm by Warmsignal »