Author Topic: Silica Packets For Moisture Prevention. Is my idea worth it?  (Read 271 times)

Silica Packets For Moisture Prevention. Is my idea worth it?
« on: September 29, 2022, 04:27:05 pm »
Hello everyone :)

I live in New England and it can get as moist as a yellow cake mix with humidity always near 98 percent index. I don't know if it's part paranoia but I have been worried about the integrity of my boxes, arts and games. I feel it's something hard to prevent. My room is always climate controlled. Heater in the winter. AC in the summer. It floats at lowest around 65 and highest 75. I don't think it leaves that window open.

But I had the idea for added security to put one 2g silica packet in every single rare game insert and manual to retain invading moisture. And also line my windows and shelves with them. Trying my best to make them less visible.

Google says the life expectancy of them is 3 years. And by them they are only 11 dollars for 100 long ones. Is it worth it? Or am I just being overly protective? Will they have any lasting effect on preservation. What do you do to protect your ganes that others might find overkill? Like protectors and air multipliers.

Thanks for reading.

Warmsignal

Re: Silica Packets For Moisture Prevention. Is my idea worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 10:43:53 pm »
I dunno, I tried it. Couldn't be bothered to stick with it. Took a few months for one pack to turn color, but I didn't replace it. If any games need it, it's PS3/4/5. All of my games for those systems end up getting wavy artwork because the sleeves don't close tight and the paper used is that of a tissue or thinner. I don't know if they could really be helped, or just a lost cause.