Author Topic: Error Listings and rejected edits 2023  (Read 19679 times)

tripredacus

Re: Error Listings and rejected edits 2023
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2024, 12:01:06 pm »
I can change it but let's see what Jason has to say.

« Reply #301 on: January 09, 2024, 04:27:39 am »
So if a game has a DLC flyer, "DLC flyer" is good enough, or "DLC flyer with unlock code" or "DLC flyer item number x" are other examples. If there are multiple different flyers for DLC, then the text would only be able to be part of the name if the item has no item number. Such as "horse armor DLC flyer" and "sword DLC flyer"

All good with the above options mentioned for the DLC flyers and straightforward as well (with some good "options" that can be used to differentiate the different flyers).

However, the rejected comments I received were referring to specific DLC name/s and with cases where there was only one flyer involved (2 examples below where both had the 'dlc flyer' submitted as one of the edits in the description field and both got rejected due to the 'dlc flyer' not being acceptable (where both have now been updated with more description):

https://vgcollect.com/item/256155
https://vgcollect.com/item/146097

The rejected comments for the two above were categorized under Incorrect Formatting and the more detailed comments relate to DLC name/s.

As for rejects, in your notification log, the text you attempted to use should be shown under "New value"
https://vgcollect.com/notifications

Is this not true or is it instead not showing all of it? Not concerned about it not showing the formatting such as returns, extra lines, etc.

It only shows part of the edited texts submitted (i.e. texts allowed for one line and then it cuts off the rest) - screenshot of the example mentioned above under "New value":

Other than the DLC name comment, the follow-on comment "need to explain the other includes besides game and flyer" was also a bit unclear since the edited description had the actual game name, artbook name, soundtracks listed, and 'DLC flyer' in it - where the 'DLC flyer' was the only more 'generic' item in that description.

So, in such scenarios, unless the approvers send a PM to the editor with the texts submitted, the editor will need to re-enter the whole text again for them to re-submit (which would discourage re-submissions if the edited fields are 'lengthy').
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 05:42:23 am by puddingm »

tripredacus

« Reply #302 on: January 09, 2024, 09:57:39 am »
I'll keep it in mind regarding the large text. The bug that causes the text to be truncated has been partially identified and added to the internal project log and Jason is now aware of it. Hopefully it is only a small change that will make it so the entire text is retained in the notification log (although it may not look that great considering how much text you can have in desc/box) and make things a little easier.

I am the one who was in the queue where some of your edits were denied, but not the edits you say were relating to specific DLC names. As such the "need to explain the other includes besides game and flyer" is also from me. I believe it was for this as you say:

includes:
• End of Eternity 4K/HD Edition
• Art Collection <--- what is this?
• Original Soundtrack CD <--- what is this?
• Battle Track Collection CD <--- what is this?
• DLC flyer for original PS4 theme and character avatar set

Since there is no place to show pictures of these items, or links to them from the entry, we need to be clear as to these other items in the description. From the above:
- if Art Collection is a book, then the text should be Art Collection book or End of Eternity Art Collection book.
- use of text "Original Soundtrack CD" makes me think this text is lifted from somewhere or it is a partial title. Is it supposed to be End of Eternity Original Soundtrack CD?
- This battle Track CD, is it an audio CD also? Is the game name missing?

Remember that it may be easy for you to know what the things are that you list if you own the item or have it in hand. For everyone else, we need to be able to look at the info provided and be able to discern what exactly they are without having to do any additional research. Especially if we don't have the item either.

« Reply #303 on: January 09, 2024, 02:22:15 pm »
As such the "need to explain the other includes besides game and flyer" is also from me. I believe it was for this as you say:

includes:
• End of Eternity 4K/HD Edition
• Art Collection <--- what is this?
• Original Soundtrack CD <--- what is this?
• Battle Track Collection CD <--- what is this?
• DLC flyer for original PS4 theme and character avatar set

Since there is no place to show pictures of these items, or links to them from the entry, we need to be clear as to these other items in the description. From the above:
- if Art Collection is a book, then the text should be Art Collection book or End of Eternity Art Collection book.
- use of text "Original Soundtrack CD" makes me think this text is lifted from somewhere or it is a partial title. Is it supposed to be End of Eternity Original Soundtrack CD?
- This battle Track CD, is it an audio CD also? Is the game name missing?

I believe this is where the approvers could align better and have some consistency. I have asked & discussed these descriptions by using one example (as the base) with dhaabi before the edits of the other listings. What was mentioned was that "if a component like a book has the game name also on it, I tend to shorten it while just using the actual book name, so Visual Book would be fine. I suppose lengthened would be okay too if it really seems like a part of the item name. If that same book were to have its own entry, though, definitely use the full name like in these examples" - which also makes sense to me and is reasonable to keep both options available.

And yes, if we go back to the above example, Art Collection / Original Soundtrack CD etc are all the actual exact names of the items without the game name. Being an entry about the game itself, repeating the game name on every single item seems to be overkilling it in my view (unless the component title is referring to a totally different thing [i.e. another game] then yes - that should be specific) as it also keeps the description field look simple & tidy to read. I also followed the same type of logic that has been mentioned in another thread keeping redundant/unnecessary terms out of it (i.e. "Switch Game" mentioned in the description list for it being a Switch category = terms redundant). However, as mentioned above, it makes complete sense to have the full name of a component if it is being entered as an individual entry in the database.

Remember that it may be easy for you to know what the things are that you list if you own the item or have it in hand. For everyone else, we need to be able to look at the info provided and be able to discern what exactly they are without having to do any additional research. Especially if we don't have the item either.
And yes, I am aware of that (even more so after a few edit rejects) and this is something that I have also discussed with dhaabi before whether the actual item names are preferred vs a general name for the items. In the end, I concluded and noticed that sometimes it is best not to use the 'exact names' of the components because it's not easy to tell what the item is exactly, and in cases where I see that I just used a general standard name for the item (i.e. artbook). The Art Collection could have been a little more descriptive I guess...to mention it being a 'book' since it could also be like 'art cards' etc. However,  the soundtrack CDs I would think it's self-explanatory as it is...

Also want to mention that not all approvers are rejecting the edits where people didn't put the media types such as "CD" for soundtracks at the end in those description names.
So, I believe people would sometimes get it 'accepted' and/or 'rejected' - where some may wonder why it got accepted and/or rejected without posting here and just left it where it was instead of re-entering the whole field for re-submission. One of the rejected edits I received was not having the word "CD" after 'soundtrack' in the updated description.

There were also other cases where I updated the game title to the English common name (which is what I saw in one of the old game listings being updated by one of the approvers) - where the initial game title edits also got rejected until I re-submitted them after clarification to confirm that it should be updated.

Once again, think most of these refer back to the original point at the start, where I believe this is where the approvers could align better and have some consistency.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 11:52:41 pm by puddingm »

dhaabi

« Reply #304 on: January 09, 2024, 02:45:11 pm »
Once again, think most of these refer back to the original point at the start, where I believe this is where the approvers could align better and have some consistency.

I will briefly mention that this is why I've directed you to post to the public forum in the dedicated topic for rejected edits instead of there being a private conversation between member and one staff. Posting publicly benefits everyone through transparency and as a place for common understanding as to why certain actions were done or not done to be established.

« Reply #305 on: January 09, 2024, 02:53:32 pm »

I will briefly mention that this is why I've directed you to post to the public forum in the dedicated topic for rejected edits instead of there being a private conversation between member and one staff. Posting publicly benefits everyone through transparency and as a place for common understanding as to why certain actions were done or not done to be established.

Yes - although the original post here is mainly about the DLC flyers being rejected which has now been expanded.
The other items were just formatting Q&As, which mainly took place before the rejected edits (except the common name one I guess) :P.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 03:10:31 pm by puddingm »

tripredacus

« Reply #306 on: January 10, 2024, 10:09:28 am »
For a physical game includes list, you typically do not need to put the game name on each line, this is true. But consider it for the more common things like the media and manual. These things you are listing are extra contents. Perhaps the name is not needed and maybe if Art Collection was Art Collection book, it would have been fine. But I recall that particular name to be the primary reason for the reject.

« Reply #307 on: January 10, 2024, 11:58:52 pm »
For a physical game includes list, you typically do not need to put the game name on each line, this is true. But consider it for the more common things like the media and manual. These things you are listing are extra contents. Perhaps the name is not needed and maybe if Art Collection was Art Collection book, it would have been fine. But I recall that particular name to be the primary reason for the reject.
Ok - got it~

« Reply #308 on: January 19, 2024, 10:44:16 pm »
Need clarification between steelbooks (to be put in the 'steelbooks' category) vs platform-specifc steelbooks (to be put in the platform-specific 'accessory' category).

To be honest, didn't see we have a 'steelbook' category until recently - which may have been there for a long time...however, then at the same time, it's causing some confusion.

Even having the steelbooks with me, I can't really differentiate between the two categories / nor know which category the item/s should go into which by answering the questions from the approver/s, and was obviously thinking something not entirely the same when 'platform-specific' was mentioned (i.e. beyond just whether there's a PS / Switch logo on the case)  ??? 

Re:Crystar steelbook: https://vgcollect.com/item/260201
Is this specific SteelBook platform specific? Is there any way to tell? Unlike the Switch releases which have the Nintendo Switch logo on them, is there any PlayStation logo, like with the Gran Turismo item I linked before? https://vgcollect.com/item/140114

For the above:
- It was only available with the PS4 game as a preorder bonus in Asian countries. An official item.
- In addition to the publisher name etc on the case, only SteelBook [steelbook.com] etc printed inside the case, no PS4 logo. [I double-checked]

With the above info, it should stay in the 'steelbooks' category even though it was only ever available with the PS4 game?  ???
Did notice that's what has been done with the Shenmue III steelbook https://vgcollect.com/item/170030

With that being said, some of the other PS4 steelbooks that came with the launch/deluxe editions/pre-order bonuses don't have PlayStation logo etc printed on it either (like the traits above). So, if those are to be listed as individual items, does it mean they will end up being in the 'steelbooks' category vs being considered as platform-specific 'accessory' category? ???
Don't know about the Switch ones yet, will have to look through some to be able to tell whether all have the logo or not. If there are ones that don't have the logo, once again, does it mean they will end up being in the 'steelbooks' category vs the platform-specific 'accessory' category?  ???

tripredacus

« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2024, 10:36:47 am »
There are a lot of Steelbooks released that are not platform specific, and many instances where a steelbook is found in and sold with a game on multiple platforms. Also there are instances where a steelbook that is sold with a game AND also sold separately at retail.

So it is best to say that if the Steelbook has the console's logo on it, that it should go into the Accessory category and if not then into the Steelbook category. It would be easier to do it that way rather than have to figure out how each and every one was sold.

dhaabi

« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2024, 11:22:29 am »
So it is best to say that if the Steelbook has the console's logo on it, that it should go into the Accessory category and if not then into the Steelbook category. It would be easier to do it that way rather than have to figure out how each and every one was sold.

This would then also include SteelBooks which come shrink-wrapped with platform-specific information but are otherwise non-discernible when opened, such as many Switch items like Pokémon Sword, seen here.

dhaabi

« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2024, 02:51:33 pm »

This would then also include SteelBooks which come shrink-wrapped with platform-specific information but are otherwise non-discernible when opened, such as many Switch items like Pokémon Sword, seen here.

While re-categorizing some entries currently placed in ConsoleName Accessory sub-cats, I came across two different SteelBooks for Persona 5 Strikers—one designed for PlayStation 4, and the second for Switch. However, neither have any markings indicating which platform they relate to, with the differences instead being the items' dimensions and the interior media holder for either disc or cartridge, as seen in these two eBay listings. Since there are no markings, they both belong in the Steelbooks sub-cat. Can we agree that Persona 5 Strikers (PlayStation 4) and Persona 5 Strikers (Switch) are ideal entry names? The term SteelBook is redundant as part of the Name field, given the category name.

Edit: The same can also be said for the following two sets of items:
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion SteelBook
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion SteelBook
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga SteelBook
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga SteelBook

As an aside, this topic name needs updating to reflect the new year.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 05:20:38 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2024, 06:31:36 pm »

Ok - got it.

Other than the steelbooks, re back image for Star Ocean PSP console https://vgcollect.com/item/215764. I think I submitted the correct pic originally (unless I selected the wrong one by accident) because both front and back looks almost identical. Regardless, have resubmitted. Noting that the current back image is not the back but the side of the box.

dhaabi

« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2024, 06:54:43 pm »
Other than the steelbooks, re back image for Star Ocean PSP console https://vgcollect.com/item/215764. I think I submitted the correct pic originally (unless I selected the wrong one by accident) because both front and back looks almost identical. Regardless, have resubmitted. Noting that the current back image is not the back but the side of the box.

Re-submission approved. To me, even now, the front and back cover images appear the same, so I assumed earlier that you submitted the image to the wrong field by mistake.

« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2024, 08:33:33 pm »

Re-submission approved. To me, even now, the front and back cover images appear the same, so I assumed earlier that you submitted the image to the wrong field by mistake.

Yes, had that feeling being the case. The only difference that I could tell is the opening flap lines at the back of the box :P