Author Topic: Release type field missing  (Read 902 times)

empovyle

Release type field missing
« on: June 04, 2023, 11:53:59 am »
Trying to edit https://vgcollect.com/item/232129 to change the release type to Official Release since the game came out a few days ago, and I noticed that the release type field is missing on the edit screen and game page. Don't know if this is an intentional change or not.

tripredacus

Re: Release type field missing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 09:49:39 am »
Release Type is currently hidden on entries that are set as a Digital Game
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 09:53:24 am by tripredacus »

empovyle

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 02:02:01 pm »
Just a heads up for whoever's working on it, the release type is still visible on collection pages 

empovyle

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 11:30:23 am »
Now that I'm thinking about it, if the release type field could be removed for certain categories only, we could also see the barcode and item number fields being removed too. Item numbers would stay for things like Steam, etc. that actually have discriminating IDs. That would definitely make digital listings look a lot cleaner and more condensed overall.  :)

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 11:59:51 am »
That is the right idea, but we have to deal with the issue that the Release Type field has two different types of options. Release status and a release sub-type.

Official vs Unofficial (in context of the platform) are one thing.
Demo can be either
Unreleased but official (for protos) can also be Official and Demo
Unofficial can be demo
Homebrew can only exist in Digital categories, and does exist in limited fashion in Accessories and Arcade sections. It does not really exist for physical games.

Release Date upcoming is largely useless if for a few reasons. First is that very few people use it when making an entry. And most of the people that do use it, do not come back and edit the entry when a thing comes out. Ideally this shouldn't even be present, and we should just automatically set a label of released vs upcoming based on the release date entered in the entry.

So either Release Type will come back for Digital categories or a new function will be implemented to otherwise handle it. The current implementation is incomplete and should be reverted until we can figure out the proper way to handle it.

jason

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 09:59:08 pm »
Trying to edit https://vgcollect.com/item/232129 to change the release type to Official Release since the game came out a few days ago, and I noticed that the release type field is missing on the edit screen and game page. Don't know if this is an intentional change or not.

Thank you for the feedback.

jason

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 07:44:16 pm »
I have also removed the barcode field for digital games.

empovyle

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 02:11:41 pm »
I have also removed the barcode field for digital games.
Yay, looks great! Thanks jason!