Author Topic: Image Editing Guidance - Poor Quality Images Being Re-Uploaded  (Read 1208 times)

zappman

PRO Supporter

Re: Image Editing Guidance - Poor Quality Images Being Re-Uploaded
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2023, 08:33:08 pm »
Looking into potentially adding stock photo field as a new image entry category. Then it would be possible for people to choose in the settings which way they prefer to view the site.

Thoughts?

I don't think "stock photo" is the correct name for the new field(s) / image slot(s).

Currently (as of July 19, 2023)
There are three image slots for an item entry:
- Front art
- Back art
- Cart art
The problem is "What goes in those 3 slots?"

Some users want to see nice clear images of the "front artwork" and "back artwork", usually these images are made by removing the artwork from the item case and placing the artwork in a digital scanner and making nice clean beautiful images. If media for an  item is a disc, this can also been scanned for a nice clean image.

Other users want to see a photograph (or scan) of the "front" and "back" that shows every sticker, hologram, etc. that is on the item showing the item sealed in it's packing. These photos are usually of a poor quality but do show more information about the item.

It seams the slots should labeled something like:
Item Front (this shows everything shown on the front of the item package)
Item Back (this shows everything shown on the back of the item package)

Artwork Front (this just shows a nice clean image/scan of the item front artwork)
Artwork Back (this just shows a nice clean image/scan of the item back artwork)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:37:43 pm by zappman »

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2023, 05:20:12 am »
Still for my taste these logo's don't add much almost every game has them. if where talking say ps1. this doesn't give much information for most pal collectors it's just stating the obvious while heavily downgrading the art if it's a picture or even scann.

There are just few exceptions if where talking games with exclusive stickers in which I can somewhat see it being worth but even than.

Like alundra with the guide strategy sticker.

Or say billy hatcher cube with the pre order ringtone in the front.

But for most generic games I don't see the value in adding the logo. Why not just have a seperate entry for just the logo alone in the description.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 05:25:07 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dhaabi

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2023, 08:31:55 am »
- Front art
- Back art
- Cart art

The style guide is clear about what art is preferred for each slot. There are some who choose to ignore the hierarchy, though, because they are only concerned with how they want their personal collection to look and not meet the needs of the database as a whole.

Still for my taste these logo's don't add much almost every game has them. if where talking say ps1. this doesn't give much information for most pal collectors it's just stating the obvious while heavily downgrading the art if it's a picture or even scann.

You are overlooking every piece of information that an entry may detail. Yes, while there are many instances of items with only slight outer packaging variations, every item contains interior components. Depending on which variant print an item is may determine what sort of components are included. These can range from different instruction booklets, the presence or omission of paper inserts, different media, and so forth. Our site is not concerned with data collecting, but many of these variants—especially for more modern items—certainly have different game builds put on the disc. Detailing as much information and notable differences as we can, including correct images, is done so that collectors may know exactly what they own and what they may be missing, which is especially useful for those using secondary markets.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 08:35:10 am by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 09:16:43 am »
Looking into potentially adding stock photo field as a new image entry category. Then it would be possible for people to choose in the settings which way they prefer to view the site.

Thoughts?

I don't think "stock photo" is the correct name for the new field(s) / image slot(s).

It specifically be a front art alternate, no other fields are effected. It is an image that, if a person set it so in their settings, would show the alternate front art when viewing collection instead of the actual front art.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2023, 11:05:21 am »
- Front art
- Back art
- Cart art

The style guide is clear about what art is preferred for each slot. There are some who choose to ignore the hierarchy, though, because they are only concerned with how they want their personal collection to look and not meet the needs of the database as a whole.

You are overlooking every piece of information that an entry may detail. Yes, while there are many instances of items with only slight outer packaging variations, every item contains interior components. Depending on which variant print an item is may determine what sort of components are included. These can range from different instruction booklets, the presence or omission of paper inserts, different media, and so forth. Our site is not concerned with data collecting, but many of these variants—especially for more modern items—certainly have different game builds put on the disc. Detailing as much information and notable differences as we can, including correct images, is done so that collectors may know exactly what they own and what they may be missing, which is especially useful for those using secondary markets.

where talking about stuff like holograms which on say ps1 almost every game has the same one. These aren't variations. Variations are actual differences between versions. slightly different box art, a different color etc etc

maybe a different rating or the super notable stuff like platinum or best hits releases.

There is a huge difference between the 2 you can't make that comparison for the small stuff that is identical on a ton of games.

also holograms aren't even unique compared to the examples that I have given. there is no value for the generic hologram if images get that downgraded. it's the same stuff for many games.

I can get it for stuff like alundra or billy hatcher as two examples that have a unique sticker on the front. but otherwise it doesn't really do much it's just stating stuff everyone knows who has been in this hobby for even the shortest time.

I don't see how including a ps1 hologram on the box art is usefull for any pal collector in the 2ndary market. it's logical if you even participate in said market. It's just the standard box. early games didn't have a hologram, however the box art makes it pretty clear by the box art just being full cover withouth a strip of the ps1 brand.

Thoughts?

It specifically be a front art alternate, no other fields are effected. It is an image that, if a person set it so in their settings, would show the alternate front art when viewing collection instead of the actual front art.

sounds like a decent plan.

if where talking notable box variations I think these are examples most people care about

to a lesser degree stuff like this. with actual unique stickers on the front

Controller one on ape escape and the ring tone sticker on billy hatcher

The hologram on ape escape doesn't have much value to the average pal collector it's just the same stuff for almost every ps1 game it's not worth the crappy images imo. but if we get a seperate option it's fine by me. I'm just saying that the value added by needing the hologram doesn't do much for the average guy your not educating anyone with it. it's pretty pointless. For unique stuff like the examples given I get it but the hologram is kinda pointless on all the other games

« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:38:08 am by sworddude »

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2023, 12:10:11 pm »
The hologram on ape escape doesn't have much value to the average pal collector it's just the same stuff for almost every ps1 game it's not worth the crappy images imo. but if we get a seperate option it's fine by me. I'm just saying that the value added by needing the hologram doesn't do much for the average guy your not educating anyone with it. it's pretty pointless. For unique stuff like the examples given I get it but the hologram is kinda pointless on all the other games

The value of the hologram is not to the users, it is to the data. It is present on the actual item, and so it should be present in the photo of the actual item.

The Ape Escape image should be replaced, as it is a bad image. If you have the item, you can scan the front to replace it.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2023, 12:14:24 pm »

The value of the hologram is not to the users, it is to the data. It is present on the actual item, and so it should be present in the photo of the actual item.

The Ape Escape image should be replaced, as it is a bad image. If you have the item, you can scan the front to replace it.

agreed it is a poor image but it is one of the better ones done this way sadly.

dhaabi

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2023, 12:33:35 pm »
agreed it is a poor image but it is one of the better ones done this way sadly.

There are very few members here who will make the effort to scan high quality art when it's warranted, such as in the case of Ape Escape. So, for anyone not owning the item wanting to correct the entry as much as possible, they must rely on photos. The quality could be better, but the image currently represents the item more accurately than it did before.