Author Topic: Have You Ever Thought About Preserving The Retro Game Or Music & Movie Industry?  (Read 1190 times)

That is what I have been doing all along, I often don't play my games because I am afraid they will get worn out faster. I have 1000's or Atari games on a handheld, and virtually each and every single arcade compilation including 100's of games that were once inside the Big bulk arcade machines of the 1970's 1980's and 1990's.

for the 6th generation of consoles, I managed to preserve sports games as well such as Golf, Basketball, Hockey. Baseball, Soccer, American Football, Racing simulators. I got mostly all of the old war simulators from the 5th 6th and even some for the 7th console generations. I also got a stream account that allows me to purchase even more games from when and if I can't ever find a physical game ever again.

I got Skyrim for the Xbox360 but never played it, I also have Dark Souls I and Dark Souls II. I have a working original NES and SEGA GENESIS model 1. I don't have that many SNES or an actual Super Nintendo Console but I managed to grab an NES SNES Turbo Graphic's 16 and a PS1 Mini for HDMI compatible TV's

I got a mint condition and working Xbox Original that I play love to play Star Wars Battlefront I and II on. I have a mint condition Xbox360 slim black with a 500GB harddrive. a mint condition PS2 Phat as well as 2 broken PS2 slims that need some severe work. I have a mint condition PS3 Slim with over 200 GB of harddrive space

I have a PS2 multi tap but I never could get the PS2 Multi tap to work, and I also have a PS2 Phat network adapter. I got lots of PS2 Memory cards and even large Gamecube Memory Cards and a mint condition GameCube and Nintendo Wii and Nintendo 64 but the N64 needs severe cleaning and all of it's cartridge's need to be reprogramed unfortunately because they do not work correctly

I got several N64 Brawler Controller as well as bootleg regular N64 controllers but only one REAL N64 controller. I got a lot of games but mostly shooters, sports, and racing games but like I said I did manage to accrue some RPG's and JRPG's but NOT THAT MANY OF THEM.

I got over 22,000 songs all Rock Classic Rock Alternative, Metal, Country, R&B, Soul, Gospel, Classical, Jazz, Broadway, Pop, Christian Rock, Latin, Soundtracks, New Wave, Rock n Roll, Big Band, and even New Age, Celtic Irish Music, Scottish Rock, Pirate Rock, and other kinds of music that I allow people from around the world to listen on "The Angel Classic Rock Mix" My own ICECAST radio station that is broadcasted just adjacent from my Game/Living Room in my home.

I also have an ASCAP blanket license I pay for it to make the (online) radio station legal.  And I also help the artist through Stream Finder's website when other people obtain the music that I play through Amazon.com when people choose to buy the MP3 files not from me but from Amazon's website

My main question is. have you been working to preserve the video game and Music Or Movie Industry through various DVD's CD's and/or bluray disc, OR Hard Drive/SD cards? many of you might not like me? but what is your opinion now that you know the truth?

My entire collection is not displayed on this site, but you can get a sneek peek at what I have, and I just looked at it, and it looks awsome to me at least, because it's got something for everyone in it

and it didn't really cost me that much money, because I did not purchase it all at one time and was vary picky at what games I choose

click link below to get a peek at what I have, then? maybe you can use my example to get yourself some awesome games for your own collections

http://vgcollect.com/oldgamerz
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 10:38:13 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telekill

I did that with my shadowboxes for very specific games -- having only made 7 for myself and 1 for my brother.

I'm currently in a pretty pessimisitic rut when it comes to preservation of anything. Humanity is currently on a severely dark path. I expect war, authoritarian takeover the likes of which hasn't been seen for near 100 years, famine, genocide from the authoritiarians and eventually nuclear holocost.

Modern humanity has learned nothing from the mistakes of the past and are full steam ahead with instanity at all levels. Our leaders don't have any critical thinking skills beyond what can benefit them in the short term.

So sure, we can try to preserve what our culture once was, but it will be destroyed in seconds at the drop of a nuke.

I did that with my shadowboxes for very specific games -- having only made 7 for myself and 1 for my brother.

I'm currently in a pretty pessimisitic rut when it comes to preservation of anything. Humanity is currently on a severely dark path. I expect war, authoritarian takeover the likes of which hasn't been seen for near 100 years, famine, genocide from the authoritiarians and eventually nuclear holocost.

Modern humanity has learned nothing from the mistakes of the past and are full steam ahead with instanity at all levels. Our leaders don't have any critical thinking skills beyond what can benefit them in the short term.

So sure, we can try to preserve what our culture once was, but it will be destroyed in seconds at the drop of a nuke.

don't worry about nuclear war, famine, greed and the fall of the human race. I have a lot of influence as a world wide freedom fighting Christian, & Muslim teacher combined. I spend most my entire days advising others to stay away from (real life) war and destruction. and most of my followers  on Facebook are hidden.

https://www.facebook.com/ModernChristianBelievers/

I am a preacher & a video game collector, A DJ, A Science educator, A Priest, and even an peace advisor. I would not worry about WWIII just put all of your trust in Jesus, and no I am Not Jesus but instread one of his helpers and I don't make any money off what I do. ALl that I do in life is voluntary, and without expected payment or reward of any kind. :)

leave the fighting for the angels of humanity. I am not a normal person
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 08:40:59 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Just to pop in before anything gets out of hand, reminder that discussion of religion (and politics) are against forum rules.

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10628.msg174769.html#msg174769

Not to this extent. As far as I'm concerned they are already "preserved" by being saved from going to the landfills. I believe games are meant to be played, and I don't buy stuff I have no intention of ever playing. Is owning games you never use even preservation? Without experiencing them they might as well be worn out to the point of being broken already. Makes no difference.

Eventually we will run out of (affordable) native hardware to play them on anyway.

sworddude

Never had tbh, I collect to play.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

Just to pop in before anything gets out of hand, reminder that discussion of religion (and politics) are against forum rules.

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10628.msg174769.html#msg174769

thank you for reminding me,

but to stay on topic what I own I think? could be some of the  most fun games of the older eras. in a most of those sports games I have alone .

in just all my golfing games alone? all those courses IN REAL LIFE cost 100's of real life dollars to play on, and if the video game industry wanted to they could convert those golf courses into virtual reality. and people could technically play all those  $100's of dollar admission courses for FREE and in their own living rooms and experience a vary similar experience to golfing on them in real life minus having to hunt down their balls every time they hit it.

ALL those hockey and other sports games are vary fun too, not only can you fit unlimited players and AI on the Ice Rinks/fields/courts? but you can also play them single player just like all of those sports games I have.

Now the shooters are fun too, I thought all those older single player Call OF Duty and Battlefield game campaigns were both a challenge and a blast to complete over and over again.

However I think that the Modern Facebook Virtual reality golf  video games have poor PS1 graphics? and I cannot figure out why they don't even have PS2 Graphics currently? but if the industry tried even harder I think the all those Tiger Woods game courses could be translated into an even more powerful virtual reality headset. for true simulated gameplay at free admission and without all the frustraititon of real life golfing.

all my other games? well just take a look because a lot of my games are not often talked about, because few people know about them. Has anybody ever played any of the Test Drive Series? or perhaps the Moto Cross games? or perhaps the Cool Boarders Games. You may have heard of SSX but how about Cool Boarders the games that came before SSX?

and BTW @Cartagia you got a nice visible collection yourself too
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 09:00:48 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

I'm all for having Physical copies of all media especially with how there are companies that will take out and alter content like the recent  Skullgirls debacle, or how Netflix took out the Oh la la scene from Back to the Future 2 for a bit. Not to mention how so.e things have been taken off completely or possibly never available digitally like Tony Martin era Black Sabbath.

But I believe unless you have the Original Masters you're really not preserving anything.

From what I understand It's part of the reason why we don't tend to see Saturn era games re-released, and if we do they tend to be rebuilt. As back then after the game was finished and released it would then be deleted due to space so they could start work on the next game.

Unfortunately a lot of the original Master copies of Music have been lost due to a Universal Studios Fire in 2008. So if you ever wonder why a remastered album might not sound that good well now you know as it might be built up on a previous remaster/release.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Universal_Studios_fire

This might be seen as a cynical take, but try to think of it this way... you have a copy of the Mona Lisa or any piece of art it would not be seen as preserving the art piece it would just be a copy and that's it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 09:58:26 pm by redblaze57 »

I'm all for having Physical copies of all media especially with how there are companies that will take out and alter content like the recent  Skullgirls debacle, or how Netflix took out the Oh la la scene from Back to the Future 2 for a bit. Not to mention how so.e things have been taken off completely or possibly never available digitally like Tony Martin era Black Sabbath.

But I believe unless you have the Original Masters you're really not preserving anything.

From what I understand It's part of the reason why we don't tend to see Saturn era games re-released, and if we do they tend to be rebuilt. As back then after the game was finished and released it would then be deleted due to space so they could start work on the next game.

Unfortunately a lot of the original Master copies of Music have been lost due to a Universal Studios Fire in 2008. So if you ever wonder why a remastered album might not sound that good well now you know as it might be built up on a previous remaster/release.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Universal_Studios_fire

This might be seen as a cynical take, but try to think of it this way... you have a copy of the Mona Lisa or any piece of art it would not be seen as preserving the art piece it would just be a copy and that's it.

Universal Studio's Fire? well I don't it had too much effect on most music, The Detroit Michigan area, holds the most preserved music as far as I know. Detroit Michigan and it surrounding suburbs hold most music. in the US today.

I live in a city that has at least 2 large physical media stores, plus there are several record stores within 100 miles of where I live currently. We even have multiple good will locations and comic book stores too as well as a regular book store down the street from me. You can even find Latino, Broadway and foreign music, from other countries and cultures in my area as well

They don't call Detroit Michigan "rock city" for no reason, surprisingly the entire Detroit Michigan area is actually a physical media powerhouse, but it is (still) on the rapid decline unfortunately, we got mostly PS4 and Xbox One games for sale at a local game store, but? occasionally that store does contain sometimes rare or less common handheld games and consoles and smart TV's.

from the retro eras. We even got some offbeat stores called resale shops where I traded a bunch of stuff from my apartment and got a free SEGA Saturn I later got rid of because of the lack of games I could find for it.

We still got a lot of physical media scattered in stores and storage around in the Detroit Michigan suburbs and area

NO APPS NEEDED

Taito Legends 1 & 2
Midway Arcade Treasures 1 2 & 3
Capcom Classic Collection 1 & 2
Megaman Anniversary Collection and Megaman X Collection
SNK Arcade Volume 1
Intellivison Lives!
Atari Anthology
Activison Anthology
Namco Museium 50th Anniversary
Collection Of Classic Games From The Intellivision, A
Collection of Activision Classic Games for the Atari 2600, A
Pro Pinball: Big Race USA
Namco Museum Vol. 1 - Greatest Hits
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Trilogy
Forza Motorsport 3 / Halo 3: ODST
Atari Flashback Handheld with 1000's of Atari 2600 ROM's on it

now those games? many of them inside  those multi game compilations, used to be on singled out HUGE arcade machines, and HUGE arcade cabinets but I don't think that those games were ever released a 2nd or 3rd time on any retro console besides the 5th and 6th generation, and I think that THAT is a HUGE mistake for the video game industry to leave all these old arcade games in the dirt and to forget about most of them.

We were extremely lucky in the 5th and 6th generation of consoles that Somebody brought most of these old arcade games (even at that time) and made them available for our at home entertainment those games I think are a vary important part of the video game industry, not just as compilations? but just the information provided on those disc's alone. I consider those disc my Diamond and my Platinum games of my entire collection.

Those are the games I treasure the most

NO APPS NEEDED

people seem to care more about jewelry, food, and maybe smartphones, and cell phones, and laptops, none of any (besides food) I have in my home plus my house is big and things are scattered around the place, I have a lot of what I consider good things, but the best part is what I consider valuable is useless to most robbers of today.
and

By the way? when i meant that most of my consoles were in mint condition? I meant that a lot of them were fixed so they would never break down on me in the longest time possible, they are actually broken. My original Xbox has no and PS2 Phat has no clock, so even if someone was to grab my stuff and sell it on eBay or 2nd hand, it would not be acceptable to vintage collectors even though it works just fine. So technically my stuff IS NOT IN MINT CONDITION, but it works and that is all I care about.

My hardware was cut out to save the consoles from motherboard corruption. by a  local PC and laptop expert

(edit) I Strongly recommend YOU do the same if you can find someone to do it to your older disc consoles

(edit) yes my Xbox and PS2, save just fine, everything is working, even all the graphics and acceleration on both consoles it just no longer keeps track of the date, and maybe "Kingdom hearts" is the only game that is effected by this I think

the tech told me that this would preserve the PS2 and Xbox Original console, and save it from near destruction and I've had it 5 years after the tweak. The man knew what he was doing because he told me that just like the OG Xbox the PS2 Phat models eventually have exploding clock compositors as Well, it only cost me $120USD to get both jobs done and this was 5 years ago or more
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 07:38:28 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

...my brain is hurting just reading your responses.

First your saying the loss of the original Studio/Live recordings of around half a million songs which included unreleased material didn't have that much of an effect on Music because of... Stores in the Detroit city area existing?

I don’t know what Robbers have to do with preservation.

Nobody will want your PS2 or Xbox because of no clock? I don't know about the PS2 off the top of my head but the Xbox doesn't even have a battery to keep the time.

You know consoles in even the worst conditions will still be sold at worst as "for parts/repair" right? So even if for some reason they got stolen,  they could still be sold off.

What does your systems were "cut" even mean? Does it mean you had the capacitors replaced and new thermal paste put on the heatsinks or something along those lines?

if you are following this topic, then you must realize that I cannot preserve any game alone, the only way to preserve games is to take all of the games and to somehow and re-print them and allow them to be re-released in physical copies again before all their data ends up burred in landfills.

I HATE how most of the modern video game Industry is just trashing entire build engines, and just throwing away all that good old retro Technology, WTF???? why are game companies throwing away their old projects? WTF???? I mean after all we have HUGE harddrives now capable of holding ALL those old Games and MOD's on a single hardrive.

And the hardware? well that can also be remanufactured and remade WTF???? and those companies could even make a profit off it. Unless? MY BIGGEST FEAR OF ALL? watching all the  Godforsaken Television and reality shows, and porn shows is all anybody wants to do anymore with their lives anymore.

At least? my Radio Station currently picks up an estimate of about 10,000 listeners every 24 hours indicating that at least? listening to retro Music radio has not died completely? but what about video games? and what about Movies? I mean good movies? not a stupid murder mayhem reality shows?

Where is the FUN MEDIA?????

Now I am not going to even start with politics, but IF MEDIA DIES? We will all be sent back to the stone ages and in horse and buggy

NO APPS NEEDED

First your saying the loss of the original Studio/Live recordings of around half a million songs which included unreleased material didn't have that much of an effect on Music because of... Stores in the Detroit city area existing?

I don’t know what Robbers have to do with preservation.

Nobody will want your PS2 or Xbox because of no clock? I don't know about the PS2 off the top of my head but the Xbox doesn't even have a battery to keep the time.

You know consoles in even the worst conditions will still be sold at worst as "for parts/repair" right? So even if for some reason they got stolen,  they could still be sold off.

What does your systems were "cut" even mean? Does it mean you had the capacitors replaced and new thermal paste put on the heatsinks or something along those lines?

they fixed them to preserve them yes I think that is what they told me 5 years ago if I remember correctly sorry for the confustion

NO APPS NEEDED

Detroit may not have everything in existence, but it has a lot of songs still left unwrapped. AND Wrapped Detroit was one of the biggest musical production towns of the 20th century, it had mo-town and a lot of heavy metal and rock bands got their first gigs in Detroit. maybe we lost most of the Classical? and Jazz? and Country? but in Detroit their is still plenty of Rock, R&B, Soul, Metal, Blue's and even many other genres that are still here. The local Walmart once sold 1000's of CD's and Remasters between 2007-2019, but vary little Classical or Jazz Music was found in those bins unfortunately for those who only like instrument music only

I know for a fact that it is nearly impossible to find traditional Classical and Jazz at my local Walmart when I used to grab and pick out new CD's from the Value bin and even in the regular release bin there were still no Jazz or Classical music to ever be found at Walmart in those days and I although I didn't care at the time looking back I could not figure out why?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:40:13 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED