Author Topic: Feature requests: Duplicate entry & collection folders  (Read 949 times)

Feature requests: Duplicate entry & collection folders
« on: November 08, 2023, 12:44:23 pm »
I've just started using VGCollect, after being a Discogs user for my music for some time.  Two things I find very handy over there could really improve things here.

First, a duplicate entry button.  While putting together my collection on here, I've run into a few things I've got on (for example) both Steam and Epic, but there's only a Steam entry in the database.  On Discogs, there's a link to duplicate an entry, which populates the new submission form with all the existing information so I don't need to re-enter all the credits, just change the necessary differences and submit the new entry.  For the case where a Steam game gets released on Epic, or vice versa, a quick way to just change the platform and add the new entry without having to copy-paste every other field would be a great feature.

Second, a user-creatable categorization for their collection.  Discogs calls this "folders".  I'd just like to be able to group items in my collection as I see fit.  Maybe its a group for items I've lent out to friends.  Or a group for things that I bought through Humble bundles.  Or grouping things based on which member of my family actually owns it.  Just want me some user-creatable grouping options.

Thank you for listening.

tripredacus

Re: Feature requests: Duplicate entry & collection folders
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 10:05:51 am »
First, a duplicate entry button.  While putting together my collection on here, I've run into a few things I've got on (for example) both Steam and Epic, but there's only a Steam entry in the database.  On Discogs, there's a link to duplicate an entry, which populates the new submission form with all the existing information so I don't need to re-enter all the credits, just change the necessary differences and submit the new entry.  For the case where a Steam game gets released on Epic, or vice versa, a quick way to just change the platform and add the new entry without having to copy-paste every other field would be a great feature.

It seems like a nice idea but the utility of such a feature would be quite limited. Even between Epic and Steam, the only thing that would be retained between the two are title, dev and publisher. All the other info would be different. And, we have paused adding additional PC digital platforms because having separate entries for digital titles is actually a bad idea in general. We would much prefer having 1 entry for a digital version of a game, and then show on the entry that it is on Steam or Epic or any of the other 50 distribution platforms.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 12:48:59 pm »
We would much prefer having 1 entry for a digital version of a game, and then show on the entry that it is on Steam or Epic or any of the other 50 distribution platforms.
Agreed, that's a much better approach.  Any idea when that's due to roll out?  I want to know if I want to waste my time making extra entries for different platforms while I build up my collection on here.

jason

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 06:29:24 pm »
I've just started using VGCollect, after being a Discogs user for my music for some time.  Two things I find very handy over there could really improve things here.

Second, a user-creatable categorization for their collection.  Discogs calls this "folders".  I'd just like to be able to group items in my collection as I see fit.  Maybe its a group for items I've lent out to friends.  Or a group for things that I bought through Humble bundles.  Or grouping things based on which member of my family actually owns it.  Just want me some user-creatable grouping options.

Thank you for listening.

Thank you for the feedback, goosezen!

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 10:11:05 am »
We would much prefer having 1 entry for a digital version of a game, and then show on the entry that it is on Steam or Epic or any of the other 50 distribution platforms.
Agreed, that's a much better approach.  Any idea when that's due to roll out?  I want to know if I want to waste my time making extra entries for different platforms while I build up my collection on here.

You can add the games as you wish. Whenever we get to doing that way of doing digital games, we will do it in such a way that it will retain whichever options you had chosen before. So it won't be a waste of time on your part.