Author Topic: Thrift Store Goodness  (Read 1150 times)

Thrift Store Goodness
« on: May 22, 2012, 01:20:14 am »
So earlier tonight, I was playing Quake on the N64, once I beat it I was a little bored and had nothing to do, so I decided to hit up one of my favorite thrift stores here, to see if they had anything good. I been trying to find long box Ps1 games for a good price and low and behold they had a few including Doom and Street Fighter alpha I picked up 4 out of the 5 they had, for a total of $10, today was also 25% off day.
Has anybody else had any good deals they've found lately?

Re: Thrift Store Goodness
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:39:43 pm »
Recently--no, but I do have a few good finds ever since I started collecting again.

I purchased a Model 2 Saturn CIB for 25 bucks once. I was pretty excited although I already had a model 1 Saturn. I also found a copy of Ikaruga for the Gamecube for 5 dollars, not very rare, though it is uncommon and since I love shmups I was happy to buy it. I also found a loose Super Metroid in really good shape for 3 bucks and Banjo-Tooie CIB for 4 bucks.

Probably my rarest find, however, is the sealed copy of FF7 I picked up. Let's just say that the coffee I had while shopping was more expensive.

blipcs76

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:43:58 pm »
My best find at a thrift store recently was a copy of Tomba 2, which I picked up at Goodwill for $4.  Most of the time, they normally just have common stuff, but once in a while something good ends up on the shelf.

Unfortunately, it's often hard to get deals when you see people (resellers) going through the stock scanning barcodes with their cell phone.  I'm honestly amazed that I was able to find that Tomba 2 game, though maybe nobody was willing to bend over all the way to get to the PS1 games on the bottom shelf ;)

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 02:11:31 pm »
My luck went crazy the other day - 5 $ bag to include Snes games - Super troll lake, Donkey kong country, super mario all stars, super gameboy, yoshis safari and one other random game i dont remember

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:17:54 pm »
Unfortunately, it's often hard to get deals when you see people (resellers) going through the stock scanning barcodes with their cell phone.

Yeah, there are actually a few big resellers in my town, and they seem to frequent CheapAssGamer... everytime there seems to be a cool deal, you have to hurry or all the games get snapped up within half a day or so.  It's a bit... disheartening.

Anyway, more on topic, I haven't gotten much of anything lately, and most of my deals bragging about were crazy Black Friday type stuff.  However, I was able to get a silver PS2 controller for $5, new, on clearance at K-Mart a couple months ago.  Oddly enough, the other colors were still full price...

Also, while not spectacular, I picked up Dark Cloud for $3 at a local Goodwill.  I honestly am not a fan of the game, but I did own Dark Cloud 2 already, so why not?  :)
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

hexen

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:44:05 am »
Last Friday my Local Goodwill had a load of PS1 and PS2 games that where priced at $1.15 each. Most of the PS1 games where stuff that I woulden't regularly buy, but at that price (coupled with the fact PS1 games are something I never find in the wild) I bought everything but the sports games and a racer or two. PS2 games where quite good and also a good deal. Got Genji: Dawn of the Samurai, Soul Calibur III, Raiden III, Sly 3 and Dark Cloud for $1.15 each, which is amazing for any PS2 game, let alone the fact these where pretty good ones. Also got the original Alice for the PC for the same price.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!