Author Topic: Problems with Pokemon games  (Read 935 times)

jcalder8

Problems with Pokemon games
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »
I have been playing through Fire Red and I have been finding some really annoying parts of it that I can't believe still exist on the GBA and then I have played a bit of Pearl and my problems with it are still there.

1. The "voices" of the Pokemon. The screeches that they made were acceptable during the original Game Boy but on the DS I want to hear the voices from the show.

2. You have to have a guide to find out when your Pokemon will evolve. Today with the internet it's not too difficult to look it up but it's still a pain in the ass when it would make since for the information to be common knowledge.

3. You have to have a certain number of badges to use certain moves. I never understood how a Pokemon would change when you got a new pin.

4. Pokemon not listing to you once they reach a certain level. Same as above.

So what are some of your complaints with Pokemon games?

amauriel

Re: Problems with Pokemon games
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:38:44 pm »
I actually love the screeches. I never watched the show and I think it'd be obnoxious to have those sounds in there. The throwback to a simpler Pokemon time is great, and I love it when I hear a screech that I have recognized through the ages.

I really just wish that they'd use the organizational system that they started in SoulSilver/HeartGold in Black/White. It was the easiest to navigate in my opinion.

I agree with the evolutionary process thing though, they could make that part of the PokeDex rather than making you wonder.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 05:37:22 pm »
Hmm, I don't agree with all of your complaints...  But it wouldn't be the internet everyone agreed on everything, right?  ;)

1.  This one is obviously subjective.  I enjoy the 'old school' sounds, really... it reminds me of the older games. :3  I honestly would be a little put off if they used the anime voices (or them just saying their names), but hey, whatever Game Freak wants.

2. Oh my god, you're so right.  I don't know how anyone's supposed to figure out a bunch of these evolutions work... and even with a guide, it's still a pain!

3. I can understand that.  It's just like other games putting some kind of 'roadblock' or some other little thing so you don't sequence break everything... I mean, the badge thing is just like a guy standing in the way of the road saying "Oh no, I've lost my glasses!" you find elsewhere.

4. This... well, what's the fun in just killing everyone with a level 100 Charizard?  If your Pokemon tend to get too high of level that they're not listening, it's a sign you're relying too much on one Pokemon, and it's making you change up your strategy a bit.

For me, one of the biggest complaints I had with the games was how long the battles could take and how boring they could be... sure, you could turn off battle animations, but then you just watch a HP bar creep down slowly, and that's no fun.  I'm glad Black/White sped up the battles a bit and made the animations not take forever.
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

jcalder8

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 09:23:09 pm »
For me, one of the biggest complaints I had with the games was how long the battles could take and how boring they could be... sure, you could turn off battle animations, but then you just watch a HP bar creep down slowly, and that's no fun.  I'm glad Black/White sped up the battles a bit and made the animations not take forever.
I was going to add this and then I forgot about it. If the animations were more varied I wouldn't mind nearly as much but they all just look the same and like you said take way too long!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »
I was going to add this and then I forgot about it. If the animations were more varied I wouldn't mind nearly as much but they all just look the same and like you said take way too long!
Heh, yeah, it's especially bad with a move like Double Slap and the like, which not only takes a long time but you have to watch the animations multiple times just for one attack!  xp
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

scott

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:57:43 pm »
Paralyze.

I never works when I use it, but oooh if the baddie uses it I am stuck immobilized every flippin turn.  >:(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread