Author Topic: PriceCharting.  (Read 284 times)

PriceCharting.
« on: June 24, 2024, 06:54:04 am »
Do you compare prices for retro games on Amazon/EBay to prices on PriceCharting? Could that be a way to see if a game is authentic? I mean, like they say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, right?

I got my copy of Link to the Past for $39 on Amazon, and PriceCharting lists LttP's loose price at $32.45.

tripredacus

Re: PriceCharting.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2024, 10:16:22 am »
I stopped looking on Pricecharting years ago when I stopped selling things online. I never pay anywhere close to market value when I buy so that never mattered to me.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 05:58:09 pm »
I've never really used pricecharting. A quick glance at recent sold listings is often enough for me to determine a price I'd like to pay for an item. I don't feel like I need an additional website to tell me that information. I wouldn't use price as a measure of authenticity either. A common item I'd see on eBay is counterfeit Pokemon games going for astronomical prices. In contrast I have definitely had some great purchases of legitimate items from either last minute bids or early buy it nows. In general though if I don't personally feel comfortable verifying an item myself, I wont purchase it.

ferraroso

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 06:15:55 pm »
I rarely (if not ever) use PriceCharting as they have a VERY limited archive of Japanese games (which constitutes almost all of my collection).
That said, as far as pricing can maybe help a liiiiittle bit in discovering whether a game is authentic or not, it is far from being a reliable metric.
For example: many "repros" released by PCE Works are close to indistingable from the real thing both in looks and price, so...

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 05:04:49 am »
Do you compare prices for retro games on Amazon/EBay to prices on PriceCharting? Could that be a way to see if a game is authentic? I mean, like they say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is, right?

I got my copy of Link to the Past for $39 on Amazon, and PriceCharting lists LttP's loose price at $32.45.

price charting is an average price. you got the worst of the worst copies to minty copies in the same price charts. in practice it should balance it out which works for the more popular stuff and mainly disc based games. in practice however especially for non discbased stuff it gets quite messy.
In quite some cases even repro's with far lower prices are included.

And you can forget accurate prices for more niche boxed games. let alone that allot of listings have trash boxes really lowering that value or non complete copies being included with complete listings anyway.

Look closely at the average listings. cause if there is to much trash in there it might give a wrong inidication of price.

That being said. price charting has worked in my advantage people selling rare niche stuff at repro prices cause they only had repro's in them lists  ;D

Also stuff being authentic has nothing to do with price. A really good scammer won't sell at a to good to be true price.

If it's a single item especially something desirable with a to good to be true price and especially with a good description as if the guy knows what he is doing total scam.

If it's a desirable item within a lot, or bad pictures at a low price. probably legit. or if it's something more niche. to good to be true prices are usually in far to good looking organized listings. If a price is good and you get an indication that the seller actually knows what he has it's a scam.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2024, 10:55:32 am »
If I'm trying to determine the value of a game either to sell or because I'm personally interested in it, I've always used Ebay completed listings to determine the value. With that said, I do track my collection on PriceCharting for the purpose of insurance. The value is a rough approximation of its value in the event a fire took my collection, or someone stole it , and I had to make a claim. Unfortunately, I've found that PriceCharting isn't the most reliable place to look at game values; sometimes they are way undervalued compared to what they're actually selling for while other times they are way too high. I called out a local shop years ago for massively overpricing a brand new copy of some RPG on the Saturn (can't remember which one). I showed them ebay which was several hundred cheaper than their price, but then they countered by showing me PriceCharting which pretty much right on the money for what they were charging. It's just not reliable.