Author Topic: Old Youtube gaming channels/videos nostalgia thread  (Read 208 times)

Despite having several important things I need to take care of at the moment, I found myself mostly idle tonight, which at one point led me to wonder what some of the gaming youtube channels I used to watch regularly and even subscribe to were up to these days. It led me down a bitter sweet rabbit hole of realizing that many of the gaming Youtube channels I used to love are either completely gone, haven't seen new uploads in years, or new videos are still uploaded, but typically no more than a handful a month. Very few of them are still releasing videos at the rate they once were, which I found pretty sad. It made me even more sentimental when I realized that many of these videos I used to watch from some of these channels are now as old as people entering high school right now or even learning how to drive.

What video game youtube channels did you used to watch regularly, which ones do you still watch, and which ones are you sad are no longer active?

Re: Old Youtube gaming channels/videos nostalgia thread
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:36:48 am »
While many of the individual channels that made it up are still out there creating new videos, it's crazy how Retroware TV completely fell apart to where their channel is now essentially a merch store and nothing else. I remember they were my second goto place outside of Gametrailers to find interetsing video game content by various really talented creators. The usual suspects like Pat the NES Punk are still mostly active, but channels like Clan of the Gray Wolf are pretty much dead now. There are other former Retroware creators like Pushing Up Roses who is still pretty active and popular, but all her content mostly revolves around TV and movies now, and less about gaming.

Another channel/website that I was absolutely in love with is Gametrailers. Gametrailers has been defunct for nearly a decade now, but luckily most of their countdowns, reviews, retrospectives, and other original content is still on Youtube. Their videos are still among the most nostalgic for me, and ones I regularly binge even though I've seen most of them dozens of times. I get that Youtube kind of stole their lunch, but it's too bad they couldn't have gone on existing just as a Youtube channel and not their own hosting platform. I know many of the people that used to run Gametrailers now do Easy Allies, but their videos just aren't as good as they were when they were Gametrailers. This one being gone still hurts the most.

There are a few smaller channels I used to watch all the time that are mostly all either dead, something very different than they once were, or post very infrequently. Some of these include channels like The Retro Hunters, Charge Back Forward, Alpha Omega Sin, and Pete Dorr.

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:44:41 am »
There are other former Retroware creators like Pushing Up Roses who is still pretty active and popular, but all her content mostly revolves around TV and movies now, and less about gaming.

I found Roses through her Murder, She Wrote recaps.  Those are a lot of fun.  She's on a gaming podcast now that I forget the name of, and she did recently post a couple of point and click videos.

I had to unsub from WhatCulture Gaming because they were just factually wrong about stuff all the time.  I'm pretty sure it was just engagement bait, but they would never acknowledge just how wrong they were about certain things.  The only WhatCulture channel worth anything these days is probably the Star Trek one, because it is the only one that seems reasonably well-researched.

The two channels I follow that seem to generally still put out content at a regular clip are outsidexbox and PlayStation Access (and PA recently started a Star Trek podcast as well), but even they have kind of slowed their output a bit.  The smaller channels I followed have all definitely slowed their output, sometimes for real life concerns, but RabbidLuigi, PeanutButterGamer, and SilokHawk all seem to barely be putting anything out anymore.  And that's not including anybody who got sidelined by controversy (like The Completionist whose content was going downhill anyway).

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:43:10 am »
I had to unsub from WhatCulture Gaming because they were just factually wrong about stuff all the time.  I'm pretty sure it was just engagement bait, but they would never acknowledge just how wrong they were about certain things.  The only WhatCulture channel worth anything these days is probably the Star Trek one, because it is the only one that seems reasonably well-researched.

I never understood the popularity of WhatCulture. They try to do a jack of all trades but their lack of knowledge is obvious. The worst is their wrestling channel, they make so many mistakes it's shocking, like for example claiming that World Class Championship Wrestling was located in Florida, when it was actually in Dallas, Texas (the legendary von Erich family territory)

As for old: AVGN was fun until around 2013, before Screenwave got in and he got lazy and showed that he just doesn't care much about games. Spoony is another one who was hilarious (his Swat 4 LP is legendary) but seemingly fell on really hard times. Pushing Up Roses was ok before all the drama, she is one of the worst on social media, to the point where i can understand why DHI is making fun of her.

Yogscast is another old on. Shadow of Israphel was probably one of the most creative Minecraft story/lp's way back until they just dropped it. Then there was all that drama, sexual harrassment stuff, i stopped following them.

The only ones i still follow are Civvie11, Accursed Farms, MandaloreGaming and Ahoy, the latter only does a video every few months or so, but the are always high quality.