Author Topic: pain  (Read 2942 times)

htimreimer

pain
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:15:55 am »
this is more of an update on a older post. yesterday i went to a podiatrist because of three wounds on my foot it turns out i had three ingrown toenails which they remove by cutting and polling the nail out from under the skin with a podiatrist nail clipper and forceps also no pain medication anyway it should be healed in two weeks and then i get surgery in august to kill the nerve thats that's causing the problem on my right toe and than six weeks after that i get the same surgery left toe

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: pain
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:41:07 am »
Heh - I'm no stranger to pain, or (damned strong) pain medications, either :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:26:41 am »
Heh - I'm no stranger to pain, or (damned strong) pain medications, either :P
thanks for your sympathy  ;D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:51 am »
Really more empathy than sympathy...but...you're welcome either way  ::)

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:47:42 am »
Glad that you finally got it figured out.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »
this is more of an update on a older post. yesterday i went to a podiatrist because of three wounds on my foot it turns out i had three ingrown toenails which they remove by cutting and polling the nail out from under the skin with a podiatrist nail clipper and forceps also no pain medication anyway it should be healed in two weeks and then i get surgery in august to kill the nerve thats that's causing the problem on my right toe and than six weeks after that i get the same surgery left toe

Damn, though...

Nailclippers, forceps, and *TWO* surgeries all in less than 2 months sounds pretty damned invasive & excessive (just to handle 2 ingrown toenails), IMO...but...then again, I'm no Podiatrist or MD; just a lowly, 'non-MD', state-certified, alcohol, drug, nicotine (in which case, yes, I *AM* totally hypocritical), and gambling counselor at a 28-Day Rehab.

...well...that's actually what I *used* to do full-time (while I was also going to school *almost* full-time) up until my blood-clot,  my "simple, safe, and totally routine" blood-clot repair surgery - which, of course, ended up w/ my being in a coma for over a week, having a priest give me my last-rites, and ultimately - after coming out of the coma - losing my left hand & wrist to the amputation.

Now, these days, I'm still paid by the same rehabilitation center...but...more on a Per Diem/Consulting manner.

PS  (I missed out on the older topic here about what we all do for a living here); and figured I'd just post it here.

In addition to the rehab...after a long, drawn-out, and *heartily* contested (on both sides) lawsuit against the hospital, surgeons, and anesthesiologist...I also received a rather large settlement that, while certainly not living the high life of a 'Celeb-u-tard'...will keep me (and my immediate family) comfortable and pretty much allow me to buy any games that I want, whenever I want...

Nice, I know, but the cost was too ****ing high  :'(

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:24 am »
losing my left hand & wrist to the amputation.
you have no hand & wrist :o

well their is only one thing that i think of that might come close to that in my all of my family history that i know of

my great great uncle got a bayonet stabbed in his forehead in ww2 and lived

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »

well their is only one thing that i think of that might come close to that in my all of my family history that i know of

Your great-uncle sounds like a very lucky man!

Military runs in my family, too...my dad was in Da Nang, Vienh Long, and Saigon during the Vietnam War, his dad was in the Bataan Death March, and my mom's dad was in the navy during WW II.

They were all injured, but, like your great-uncle, they were all lucky enough to make it back home alive.

...Although, unfortunately, my dad died from colon cancer (most likely related to/caused by his exposure to Agent Orange & Napalm in Vietnam) before he ever hit 50 :(

Me...yeah, I have no left hand or wrist, but, looking at the full half of that damned glass...I've always been *Right-Handed*...so at least I didn't have to re-learn writing all over again :)

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »

Me...yeah, I have no left hand or wrist, but, looking at the full half of that damned glass...I've always been *Right-Handed*...so at least I didn't have to re-learn writing all over again :)

is it difficult to play games??

jobocan

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 06:24:27 pm »
is it difficult to play games??

One of my friends' friend is unable to use his left hand for some reason (I never asked why), so he plays with only his right hand, and he can occasionally beat my ass at fighting games. I'm sure some genres are out of the question though.

scott

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:21:20 pm »
Slightly on topic. but did you know, Robotron: 2084's twin stick control scheme was created, in part, thanks to Eugene Jarvis' inability to play traditional stick and button games after his arm was put in a cast due to an accident? Pretty neat.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 12:21:01 am »
Also sorta related: There's this amazing guy that's at PAX East every year, and he passes out cards (well, they're on his wheelchair for you to take) that have his website on them. He creates petitions to get games to have custom button mapping. He's also a quadriplegic "can't stand up" comic. If you're interested in following his petitions for games that don't have or haven't announced custom mapping, his site is: http://www.askacapper.com/.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 10:12:33 am »
I'm fine playing my favorite games (turned-based rpg's & srpg's), and some other game, while more difficult, if I really want to play them badly enough...I've always found a way.

I was able to do absolutely *everything* in the PS3 version of Oblivion (which was a little more action-y than my usual games) one-handed.

I'm fine w/ games that are 'Stylus-friendly/heavy' on my DSiXL and I get by alright by hooking my PSP up to my big tv & playing rpg's on that, too.

Honestly, the 'sections' that have annoyed, frustrated, and vexed me the most...were all in/from FF VII.

The 'motorcycle', part, the 'marching mini-game', and, most vexing of all (w/ only one hand) was that God Damned "submarine" mini-game...but I beat 'em all...eventually :P

Also, great advances are being made in one-handed controllers, they're just ridiculously expensive at the moment.

htimreimer

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:54:58 am »
so lets recap what what has happened so far  it took 3 and a quarter years for a doctor to diagnose me with a ingrown toenail and than it took about 3 months of fighting the medical system to get me  podiatrist of free (it cost 75 dollars per appointment ) than i got 3 ingrown toenails removed (2 on one toe) i had two months healing and today i get "extremely painful" surgery so i don't expect much posting or walking in the next 6 weeks

note:i am guessing that maybe on this forum is thinking that i am posting all this because i am trying to garner attention i'm not i posted about this before and i am just keeping you guys updated

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 12:35:48 pm »
note:i am guessing that maybe on this forum is thinking that i am posting all this because i am trying to garner attention i'm not i posted about this before and i am just keeping you guys updated

actually, i'm glad you gave the update - i felt bad that you might've still been dealing with the mystery pain and can now finally have some progress made and start healing.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas