Author Topic: "Go To" / "No-Brainer" Games?!  (Read 3041 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

"Go To" / "No-Brainer" Games?!
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:59:24 pm »
So...who else here has them & what game(s) are they?

What I mean by "Go To" and "No Brainer" games would be games that you know inside-out.

They would be the games that would be your 'Comfort-Food'...in video game form :)

I guess that they would also be those games that you go to; to play in between games that you're waiting to be released...or just the ones that you (re)play if/when you've played all of your other games.

You also probably shouldn't/wouldn't even need a guide, FAQ, or any other references to play perfectly through these games anymore.

My (2 series) would be:

Disgaea

-which, considering my user-name here, shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone here :P AND

Shadow Hearts

...particularly SH: Covenant...but any of them could do, if they had to.

Being the prequel to one of my favorite series of all time...I really should also get around to playing through Koudelka one of these days...it's all like...just sittin' there w/ the rest of my backlog - collecting dust and all :(

However, I'm currently in the middle of (yet another) playthrough of Disgaea 3...so it will have to wait - along with *everything* else  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

Re: "Go To" / "No-Brainer" Games?!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:56:29 pm »
My obvious no brainer is Dragon Warrior 1. Final Fantasy 1 is another.

Other than that, Id have to say Zelda, Metroid, SMB 1&3.

I had some others on my PS1 that I knew inside and out but its been sooo long.

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:14:20 pm »
I have a couple:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
I still know where every item and every piece of heart is without using a guide or map.  I can also still beat it without ever dieing, even after all these years.

Metroid Fusion (GBA)
I've beaten this with 100% item collection so many times now.  Also, I can beat this one without dieing too.

Earthbound (SNES)
I play this about once a year, and have done pretty much every year since I bought it new way back when.  I need the guide for this one, mainly for maps.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:31:25 pm »
Earthbound, easy. When I went to Japan I had only a semester of Japanese. I bought Mother 1+2 and played through Mother 2 in full Japanese with no problems, just because I knew Earthbound that well.

This isn't a game to play because I know it so well, but my favorite game when I'm down in the dumps is Bubble Bobble, for some reason. There's something about little dinosaurs blowing bubbles and eating fruit that really lets me let go of things.

The other big one for me is the original Harvest Moon, or Harvest Moon 64. I know the mechanics of those games so well that I can get the best ending without feeling like I'm trying anymore.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:58:41 am »
It doesn't exactly fit the criteria but for me my go to game is any NHL game. I play through at least one year when I get a new version and then when I feel like just winning at something I will set it to rookie and go to town.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:02:13 am »
Besides some fighting games, Fatal Fury, Killer Instinct and Street Fighter, I would have to say Luigi's Mansion, it's been a Halloween tradition for me haha.
Donkey Kong Country, played it so much as a kid and I still love it to this day.
and of course my favorite game of all time Super Metroid. It's just so much fun to play through that game, it's 2D side scrolling perfection IMHO
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:06:46 am by kingrat101 »

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:13:41 am »
for it would be nancy drew game or tycoon games

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:50:35 am »
Contra.  I can rot my brain and blow up aliens.  No code needed!  I'm that gangster! 
Honorable Mentions go to: Tiger Woods Golf, SMB 1-3, Super Mario World, and Mega Man 2-3. 

scott

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 10:26:19 am »
Castlevania on NES. I can blow through that game any day of the week.

Also, Skate 2&3, Deathsmiles, Raiden,  Gunbird 2, Mega Man 2, and if i feel like rpging it up Chrono Trigger and FFVI.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:29:43 am »
Barbie on NES. I love that game and play it once a week.

Also, Skate 2&3, Deathsmiles, Raiden,  Gunbird 2, Mega Man 2, and if i feel like rpging it up Chrono Trigger and FFVI.

Fixed it for you!!!!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 01:04:10 pm »
Castlevania on NES. I can blow through that game any day of the week.

What's Deathsmiles like?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »

Fixed it for you!!!!

::)

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 01:10:51 pm »

Fixed it for you!!!!

trololol
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:52 pm »
I would have to say Luigi's Mansion, it's been a Halloween tradition for me haha.

cute!

I'm not sure if I have any no-brainer games like the ones you've mentioned, but Tetris is always a good go-to when I don't know what to take with me on a trip.  Everything else, I tend to forget how to play and prefer to just start fresh with a new game.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:29:52 pm »

I would have to say Luigi's Mansion, it's been a Halloween tradition for me haha.

That *IS* cute...I've actually played Costume Quest several times close to the Halloween time of year  ;D

...and I *Highly* recommend that anyone who hasn't yet played this enjoyable gem...gives it a try...*ANY* time of year  :D