Author Topic: Priced To Sit vs. Priced to Sell  (Read 5333 times)

amauriel

Re: Priced To Sit vs. Priced to Sell
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:56:52 pm »
@amauriel I will have to visit said stores next time I am in Cleveland!

The place that had a bunch of cool stuff (and toys! so many 80's toys! even a TMNT blimp!) but that was completely overpriced was Big Fun Vintage. The place that had the good deals and has had some really random stuff is Video Game Connection. (It's got the best-worst storefront sign ever.)

The last time we were there, we found this other random vintage store. It's called Star Pop and you should probably call before you go, as it's one guy and he doesn't really do a good job of keeping his hours. However, last time we were there, Ronalopolis scored both sets of the Resident Evil Video Game Stars figurines, and I got a Harvest Moon game, a TurboGrafx game or two, and THIS (for $8!):

I also scored a couple of packs of Reboot trading cards and some other random 80's/90's stuff. Super fun place!

Edit: Also, how have you been? Haven't seen you around!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:58:38 pm by amauriel »
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 11:08:40 pm »
Wowza that is one awesome glass!!

Ive been MIA because work and females are killing me! Both require more time than I really want to give. lol :/

That and always broke..

lordmeatpie

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 01:30:52 am »
I work in a game store and I'm our retro game guy. I take care of everything from N64 and back.
I hope it doesn't make us as game store employees sound like jackasses,  but when we buy games from people we have to take into account that the service of cleaning and maintaining the flow of these games has a price of its own.
For example, you can buy a copy of Donkey Kong Country for SNES or Super Mario 3 for NES online for 12 or 15 bucks. and thats what we will pay people copies of them for. Its more or less the convenience factor, along with the running a business / paying employees factor.
Even though I work at the store and buy games from the store, I still buy lots of games elsewhere for more reasonable prices when theyre the more common titles.
Super Mario Bros. 3 I just bought at a yard sale... like 10 times hahaha. Upgraded the label condition a few times for the one I kept, then used any that I found extra to trade with other people for different games.
Now Playing: Borderlands 2 (PS3) / Crystalis (NES)

https://www.facebook.com/lordmeatpiegrind
The Obnoxious Canadian Acoustic Grinder

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 09:09:32 am »
For example, you can buy a copy of Donkey Kong Country for SNES or Super Mario 3 for NES online for 12 or 15 bucks. and thats what we will pay people copies of them for.

Your store pays ebay prices for retro games?  You're not going to be in business very long doing that.  How do you make any money?
Where is this store?  If you're paying prices like that, I'm bringing my dups to you.

lordmeatpie

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 11:18:25 am »
we dont pay those prices for all games, more just the popular ones, and even some of those we still pay a bit less. and after all our payout is said and done, even with our mark-up (SMB3 we sell for 29, Dr mario for 12, the DKC SNES titles for 29, 34 and 39 respectively, along with Conkers that we give 50 store credit for and mark up to 129) we still can't keep them in stock.
Id also rather not say what store I'm at because the owner is a very paranoid guy who doesnt like our information given out, and if I say the name of our company in this thread Im sure he would find it in search results at some point while hes searching on the internet.
But yeah, even at the 29 to 39 prices for common games, we still can barely keep them in stock.
Sometimes the store owner will just go on eBay and order lots of games in bulk (the other day he ordered 20 SMB2's for NES at c.12 dollars a piece, and we will sell them at 34 and have them gone within a couple weeks.

Its wild seeing the gme collector lifestyle from both sides of the table these days, as the collector and also the seller.

You're not going to be in business very long doing that.

And actually we're just celebrating our 25th year as one of the most successful retro game stores in Western Canada!  :D  People travel from all over Western Canada to come to our store, also from the northern states (I know it sounds bad, but I cant remember which State we border on here in Alberta. I'm originally from Nova Scotia so Im still getting used to everything out here haha).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:22:23 am by lordmeatpie »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 11:50:50 am »
That absolutly blows my mind.  There is no way I would pay those kind of prices, but I guess people do every day. 

lordmeatpie

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 11:58:01 am »
Yeah i know. Every time someone comes in and buys Conkers or Chrono Trigger (which we sell both for the same price) it blows my mind. But when you think about it, standard retail mark-up is always c.50%. so if we go online and order a game into our store at 60 bucks, then we need to c. double that to also pay for making it worth our time to order it in and process it.
But don`t get me wrong... I would neeeeeeever pay 130 for either of those games! Haha.

EDIT:: We did have a Bubble Bath Babes come into the store one time! It wasnt me that did the payout though. Where I know what games are worth I really try my hardest to give people the best cash / store credit I possibly can. Im the nice pothead guy that works at the store haha.
The one who processed the lot with BBB knew the customer had noi idea what they had, so the store literally pulled an 800% profit on it. They gave the guy $1 cash per game in the lot.
But that actually really pissed me off. If I would have been handling that transaction he would have at least walked out of our store with a few hundred dollars. Something more reasonable.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:01:59 pm by lordmeatpie »

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 04:06:35 pm »
There's a video store in town that sells every non-sports game for $25, cart only. It's ridiculous! And the sports games went for a dollar each (some CIB), so I don't see why games like Pinball Dreams and Road Rash 2 have to be so goddamn high.

godnightshade

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 03:57:12 pm »
If anyone sees a priced to sell copy of X-Com: UFO Defense on PSX in the longbox, would you pick it up for me? I'd appreciate it.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 05:24:37 pm »
If anyone sees a priced to sell copy of X-Com: UFO Defense on PSX in the longbox, would you pick it up for me? I'd appreciate it.

I'll keep an eye out for it...

Does this have anything to do w/ the new X-Com: Enemy Unknown game that just came out?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

godnightshade

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »
Yeah, it's really good, so I'd like to get the original (yes, I know the original, original came out on PC, but I really like PSX versions of PC games for some reason).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:49 am »
Is *EVERYTHING* turn-based/menu-based in the new game?

Basically, is it playable for a one-handed gamer?

I like a lot of PS1 versions of games, too :P

godnightshade

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 11:14:47 am »
Yeah, nothing is timing based except for multiplayer. You should be able to play it without a problem.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 11:26:34 am »
Yeah, nothing is timing based except for multiplayer. You should be able to play it without a problem.
Thanks, godnightshade!

That made my morning :P