Author Topic: OUYA game system  (Read 6278 times)

desocietas

Re: OUYA game system
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 04:38:56 pm »
I don't blame y'all - the Kickstarter project created a lot of hype for it so we'll see if it lives up to it.  It also seems to have encouraged other similar items:

http://www.gamestick.tv/
http://shield.nvidia.com/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »
So basically its a wireless plug and play with optional games? I suppose that couldnt be too bad if the optional games are worth playing.

jcalder8

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 05:03:08 pm »
I was really close to backing the project for a Limited Edition one but in the end the cost was just too high for it. I hope that it does well but not so well that MS, Sony and Nintendo start thinking that digital is the way to go right now.

desocietas

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 02:16:43 pm »
I'm still not getting too hyped about this system until it's in my hands, but I thought it was interesting that they got a nice product spread on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001007241

They're also having preorders available through Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

insektmute

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:06 pm »
Old-fashioned sounding or not, I'm not even remotely interested in the concept, the "promise" of a console based on a fucking telephone, the lack of physical media, or the inevitable onslaught of half-assed indie games.

People keep droning on about "fixing" the game industry with "innovative" hardware, but the only thing anyone's accomplished is to divert the focus away from the games themselves. Dunno about the rest of you, but I've never sat down to play video games and went, "Ugh, this is so BORING. If only the controller were shaped like a waffle iron and the console offered me the *promise* of something intangible, yet wonderful, and eliminated my ability to actually own the shit I buy, I could find contentment!"

Eff. that.

scott

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 03:03:46 pm »
If only the controller were shaped like a waffle iron and the console offered me the *promise* of something tangible, yet wonderful

Like Waffles!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

insektmute

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 03:13:16 pm »
Like Waffles!

If a console comes along that can make waffles as I'm playing, then we'll talk :p

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 06:28:46 pm »
It's a great concept. But from what I've seen, the games available are gonna be nothing exclusive. So why bother with it when you could have all those games on a regular console, plus exclusives?

desocietas

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 12:07:56 pm »
Ok, now this would make me upset:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57568183-235/ouya-chief-well-launch-a-new-console-every-year/

Although, when I think about how quickly generations of phones go by, I guess it's not so surprising after all.  But still, after waiting so long already for my OUYA to arrive, I'd be annoyed to find that it'll be kinda obsolete after only one year.  I'm glad I didn't go for the "limited edition" version...

It's a great concept. But from what I've seen, the games available are gonna be nothing exclusive. So why bother with it when you could have all those games on a regular console, plus exclusives?

I haven't looked into the lineup - was more interested in the concept than anything else as I don't have a tablet for gaming - just a small smartphone that's a little behind the times.  I'm definitely more into physical games, but we'll see what comes out of this new console.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:10:13 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

htimreimer

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »
so far there is nothing compelling me to get a ouya and here is three reasons why

(3)new console every year
(2)no exclusive games
(1)its no more powerful then any android phone or tablet on the market

all see is a waste of money and a fad that gonna pass and now there is other companies joining the bandwagon with the same problems

desocietas

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 05:14:33 pm »
all see is a waste of money and a fad that gonna pass and now there is other companies joining the bandwagon with the same problems

Yup, I can see your argument.  I ordered one since it's fairly inexpensive and I'm curious about how this will affect the Android game market.  There may not be exclusive games now, but perhaps this will be a catalyst for some in the future if things go well.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

htimreimer

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 05:44:29 pm »

Yup, I can see your argument.  I ordered one since it's fairly inexpensive and I'm curious about how this will affect the Android game market.  There may not be exclusive games now, but perhaps this will be a catalyst for some in the future if things go well.
i don't see it affect the android game market all that mush because most android phone or tablet on the market connect to a tv and there is plenty of controllers for android, so they only way the ouya can to affect the android market is if it was the most powerful android device on the market but it not
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:46:19 pm by htimreimer »