Author Topic: What is your worst pickup?  (Read 6959 times)

jcalder8

What is your worst pickup?
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:26:38 am »
There are topics about your greatest finds but I want to hear about your worst ones. It could be something you overpaid for or maybe something you were really excited about until you realized it was the wrong one.

One for me was buying a Gamecube sports game. I had heard that one was rare so I took a gamble and hoped for the best but it turned out to be just a sports game.

htimreimer

Re: What is your worst pickup?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:59:15 am »
for me its dark fall 2 lights out there is a lot to like but UI is shit and i have only played about 3 or 5 minutes of it and it big waste of 8 dollars
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:03:02 am by htimreimer »

theflea

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:48:46 am »
My worst pick ups that I can think off is buying a game system then finding out it that it doesn't work.
My first Fairchild Channel F i paid $40 for then got it, hooked it up and it played for five minutes then died.

Another time I bought an Atari Super Pong and seller claimed it worked and was in perfect shape.
When I got it I felt how heavy it was and opened the Battery Compartment and found that there was still batteries in it from the 70's or 80's and where corroded so bad they where practically dust. The corrosion was beyond repair and it spread to the inside the system. I tried using an adapter and it was dead.  I payed $20+$15 shipping for this and i was mad, so i contacted seller and was told to ship it back for my $20 refund, I told him only if you refund all shipping i'm not paying another $10-15 (total $25-30) to ship back and get $20 back.  he refused and he got bad feedback. lol
"Happy game hunting!!!"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:31:21 am »
Umm...it's pretty blurry...but, I *think* that her name was Trina  :-[
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

byron

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:47:34 am »
My worst pick ups that I can think off is buying a game system then finding out it that it doesn't work.
My first Fairchild Channel F i paid $40 for then got it, hooked it up and it played for five minutes then died.

I've never seen a Channel F that didn't do that. It seems to be such a common problem that I doubt I'll ever get one.

The worst game I ever bought was my copy of Super Widget. The traces on the PCB were so corroded I had to do this to make the game work:

It wasn't so bad, though, since technically I got this game for free.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:30:39 am »
I bought an Atari Jaguar and a PS3... yep...

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 12:00:23 pm »
In a new game store(at the time) I got a "deal" on Battletoads in Battlemaniacs and what I thought was Super Double Dragon. Turns out I forgot there was another Double Dragon game on SNES, and that's what I got, Double Dragon V, and it's a pretty bad fighting game rather than a fun beat 'em up.

scott

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:09:34 pm »
I bought an Atari Jaguar and a PS3... yep...

Ha yup. My PS3 is basically an upgraded PS2 with bluray and Netflix capabilities and wireless controllers.

I bought a copy of .hack//Mutation at GameStop once, thinking I needed it. But got home and realized I did already own it. So I took it back, the clerk wanted to give me shit about it too but I wasn't having it.

Once I bought some Saturn sports game on eBay, thinking it was $1 and didn't notice something like $12 shipping on it from Canada... I had been drinking that night... :(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:33:51 pm »
Umm...it's pretty blurry...but, I *think* that her name was Trina  :-[

Lol I have one of these. It was a late night after my shift at a warehouse (we got off work at 4am) and we all got drunk and I woke up next to someone. Well, a few months later, my mom invited me to the local bar that she goes to so that I could meet one of the waitresses there she thought I would like. Turned out to be the same girl. I left before she saw me. :P

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 03:58:06 pm »
I made an ebay and when it arrived there was a spider's nest in it, thankfully they were all dead already.

I have also bought a 7800 and Famicom and I haven't been able to get either to work.

forte

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 05:52:41 pm »
Back in the early 2000s and eBay was the wild, wild west, I bought some old POS laptop thinking I could fix it up and get it to run Duke Nukem and Quake. Stupid thing had a black and white screen, no hard drive, and needed a proprietary power supply I could never find. I would up throwing it away a few years ago, fucking piece of junk.

soera

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »
Heh my other worst pickup : http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/photo/data/00-vehicles/dodge-ram/640/IMG_0139.JPG

The cooling unit in it was broke so I had to keep 5 2L bottles behind the seat full of water. Everytime I drove somewhere, it would overheat and all the water would boil out so I would have to be somewhere for hours waiting for the motor to cool down long enough to fill it back up.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »
My bad luck has been with the Gamcube game Battalion Wars. I always used to rent it and I really like it, So finally one of the game store by my house had a complete copy for $7 I picked it up tried playing it and it didnt work on either of my gamecubes and wii, I took it back and they swapped out the disc, still didnt work. I ended up getting a full refund but damn.. I know it's a really cheap game but Im still hoping to find it in the wild but that hasnt happend yet

soera

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »
Blah not a single comment on either of my posts ... you guys are too focused!

htimreimer

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 08:46:03 pm »
Heh my other worst pickup : http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/photo/data/00-vehicles/dodge-ram/640/IMG_0139.JPG

The cooling unit in it was broke so I had to keep 5 2L bottles behind the seat full of water. Everytime I drove somewhere, it would overheat and all the water would boil out so I would have to be somewhere for hours waiting for the motor to cool down long enough to fill it back up.
this reminds me of the van that my dad had  only much much worst