Author Topic: So, I haven't been around for a while..  (Read 3253 times)

kirbysuperstar

So, I haven't been around for a while..
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:54:58 am »
So, at the end of July, I finally found a new job. It was going pretty well, for two weeks, then I felt.. really tired and just "off". Went to the doctor, had a blood test.. and was in hospital that night having transfusions. Turns out I have leukemia! That was a fun surprise. So I spent six weeks in hospital having chemo and stuff. While I was in there I had my birthday and the lease ran out on the place I was renting. I ended up temporarily moving interstate and living with my dad who is taking care of me during the rest of my treatment (another at least six months of chemo and then two years of maintenance).

Anyway, didn't mean for this to be a pity party or anything, just thought I'd let you guys know I didn't fall off the face of the earth or anything. Moral of the story: If you feel unwell, get checked out. You never know.

jcalder8

Re: So, I haven't been around for a while..
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:10:27 am »
Wow man that's one heck of an update. I'm glad that you are getting better but that must have been a hell of a shock. Make sure you keep us in the loop and I'll be praying for you.

blipcs76

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:39:57 am »
Very sorry to hear that.  I hope your treatments go well and your recovery is fast.

atariboy

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:54:59 am »
Prayers being sent for you and your dad.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:47 am »
Make sure you keep us in the loop and I'll be praying for you.

Same here...

I'd actually noticed (and wondered about) both you and Amauriel as I don't remember seeing either one of you posting recently.

Keep your head up, brother.

I know what it's like to have a tragic (and life-changing) medical 'condition' knock you for a loop (after losing my left hand in an amputation, due to a botched/negligent surgeon & anesthesiologist)...it took me probably close to 6 months to even start *Caring* if I lived or died any more --and-- probably over a year before I started to see that pleasant, fun, social, and enjoyable things could still continue to be enjoyed; even with only one hand.

Slow 'n' steady, brother...just keep-on hanging in there!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 04:01:43 pm »
Christ dude, what the hell. But we're all happy to see you around again.

matt

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:46:10 pm »
So, at the end of July, I finally found a new job. It was going pretty well, for two weeks, then I felt.. really tired and just "off". Went to the doctor, had a blood test.. and was in hospital that night having transfusions. Turns out I have leukemia! That was a fun surprise. So I spent six weeks in hospital having chemo and stuff. While I was in there I had my birthday and the lease ran out on the place I was renting. I ended up temporarily moving interstate and living with my dad who is taking care of me during the rest of my treatment (another at least six months of chemo and then two years of maintenance).

Anyway, didn't mean for this to be a pity party or anything, just thought I'd let you guys know I didn't fall off the face of the earth or anything. Moral of the story: If you feel unwell, get checked out. You never know.

Wow. Thanks for the update and /hugs from all of us at VGC.

Stay strong/positive my friend and keep us updated on things.

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 05:23:50 pm »
Whoa, that's huge.

I've been wondering where you were but would see you on Steam occasionally so didn't think anything too crazy was happening.

Glad you went to the hospital and have family who are are to help you out.. and I think Australia has universal healthcare?

If an American were just feeling "off" they probably would've tried to just sleep it off...

Anyway, don't mean to sound like I'm making light of things.  Really glad you came by to update us; we want to see more of you around here!  Thinkin' of you and your family.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 05:24:43 pm »
Er, also, happy belated birthday!  ::)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

pacpix

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 06:12:55 pm »
Sorry to hear that man.  Its good to know you are starting to do better.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »
I read this right after you posted it this morning.  I didn't know what to say, and I still don't.

I know it's easier said than done, but keep your head up.  I know it sucks, but you just have to power through.  You can't get down or it's that much harder to get well.  I'm a firm believer that your attitude has a huge effect on your recovery.  You just have to roll with the punches the best you can.  A few years this will all be a speck in the rearview mirror. 

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.   If you feel like you need talk to someone, hit me up with a PM.

madmax

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 11:30:50 pm »
Get better soon. I hope everything works out for you.

tpugmire

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:03:46 pm »
Damn dude, best of luck to you!  If you need anything from us, let us know.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 03:38:55 am »
Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts, guys. The treatment protocol I'm on is quite long (six months of therapy followed by two years of maintenance), but I'll get through it. Gotta look at the bright side - this sorta thing was my greatest fear, so once I'm better I won't have much to be afraid of! And thankfully I don't look too bad without hair, heh.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 12:52:06 pm »
I am holding my thumbs for you. It may seem like a long fight now but everything will get better continously. Once you win it, you'll be stronger than ever. Don't lose your faith!