Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1536492 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11355 on: June 15, 2016, 11:52:32 am »
Some folks on here reached out to me, and I appreciate that. Yesterday, I attended a vigil honoring Orlando and everything that happened.

I'll often times bitch and complain about this city, but it was really something special to see everyone get together.

Nashville Vigil

Went with my buddy down to Orange County to attend one.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #11356 on: June 15, 2016, 12:22:51 pm »
Went with my buddy down to Orange County to attend one.

My wife went to the vigil here and wound up on the front page of the newspaper. I would have gone too, but I was still at work when it was held.

<3

rayne315

« Reply #11357 on: June 15, 2016, 01:32:17 pm »
Downloaded a cool little VR "app" last night for my Gear VR.  It's an Avengers Age of Ultron interactive.  You are in Avengers mansion, looking out of the window.  You are Iron Man as your head movements make Iron Man's head in the reflection move.  Your HUD shows Jarvis warning you of an attack.  As you look around, you punch your left hand into your right palm and turn to fight.  As the interactive progresses, you destroy several Ultron robots with your repulsor.  The camera then pans over to Thor who throws his hammer.  His hammer passes Cap as he tosses his shield.  As hammers and shields are demolishing robot lackeys, the camera takes you on a close "fly-by" of the Hulk as he is viciously dismembering a robot.  It all culminates as Ultron himself with Loki's staff in hand turns to look at you.  During the interactive, you can turn 360 to see all kinds of things going on.  Such as after Thor throw Mjolnir, if you turn around to your right, you will see him stepping on a shelf to jump higher into the air.  It's all pretty dramatic and cool and really shows off VR.  On a re-watch, I kept my eyes on Hulk as he angrily grimaced at me.  The entire time, debris and destruction are happening on a major scale around you. 

Of course with VR, it's not real life.  You know that.  There is that "screen door effect" you hear people talk about.  In case you don't know, it's basically that your eyes are so close to the screen, you can make out individual pixels.  This is the reality of current technological limits to displays.  And considering that this is a little sub-$100 kit that Samsung actually gave me for free, it's forgivable and frankly - pretty friggin' cool.  And when you are playing a game, or immersed in the middle of an interactive or passively watching a movie...for a minute your mind forgets you are in a virtual environment and you find yourself reaching for that virtual remote on the virtual couch you are sitting on.  Even something like Temple Run when you screw up and run head-first into an obstacle will make you flinch.  Riding in a virtual roller coaster at Six Flags will make you lurch. 

I guess I am saying give it a try when you can.  Whether it's Gear VR, Oculus, Rift, PS VR, etc.  It's not gimmicky (at least IMO) like motion controls or 3D.  It's pretty damn sweet.

Ok...done being a VR evangelist for the day!  My apologies for the wall-o-text.   :P

no worries about the wall of text. Ive been preaching for VR ever since the late 2000's when I was first able to get my hands on a VR system. one of those multi-million dollar systems from years ago that weighed around 10-20Lbs sitting on your head with around 5-10+ wires out of the back of it connecting it to a HUGE computer (not huge like room sized but huge like ~1-2 cubic yards) and all it was for less than a dozen programs like weld training, tractor driving training, assembly line training, etc. and all of the programs required their own special controllers like plastic mock ups of the joysticks and cab of certain machines.

In fact it was one of the major reasons I became an engineer. I was finally able to see with my eyes and modify with my hands things like exploded views of machines I had never been able to before.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:34:48 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

soera

« Reply #11358 on: June 15, 2016, 01:46:41 pm »
Im still on the VR fence. I really hope that it turns out to be amazing but I dont think the application of it yet is ready. With that said, I kind of wish I would have plunked down the Benjamin on a pre-order for PS VR. Im guessing some people will back out though so I may end up with one by Christmas.

gf78

« Reply #11359 on: June 15, 2016, 05:32:55 pm »
Im still on the VR fence. I really hope that it turns out to be amazing but I dont think the application of it yet is ready. With that said, I kind of wish I would have plunked down the Benjamin on a pre-order for PS VR. Im guessing some people will back out though so I may end up with one by Christmas.

I don't think VR will or should replace traditional gaming. But it is a very cool experience. I really want to try that new Resident a Evil out with it. The VR creates a claustrophobic feeling in games where you are in dimly lit, tight quarters. Stuff like Dreadhalls on the Gear benefit from it greatly. I imagine RE will be poop-your-pants-inducing.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #11360 on: June 15, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »

how I look at vr is simply 2 ways. its a way to make the most out of your vision to see the game, where games can now add those "periphery vision effects". (imagine what it will be like when it progresses to 8k per eye and you no longer have that "Screen door effect") and as a more fluid and natural way to manipulate the camera to where you want it. (which will also allow for controllers that can utilize more buttons as you no longer need one thumb on a joystick) and yes I believe the traditional controller will still remain dominant over any controller they may concoct.

as for the applications (games) I am also on the fence about weather games will be able to utilize it to its fullest potential or will not just start using vr for games that clearly should not be vr (like 2d platformers). Is their going to be hickups with it? yes, tell me what new advancement didn't with people developing for it that weren't directly involved in the tech's creation. but on the same token do I expect highly rated absolutely stunning games that will be loved for generations? hell yeah!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:03:52 pm by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #11361 on: June 16, 2016, 08:16:41 am »
I started Onimusha 3. It's great seeing Samanosuke again. Unfortunately, I don't like Jacque's weapon. It doesn't have the satisfying thwack of a sword. I'm sure I'll stick with it, though.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11362 on: June 16, 2016, 08:23:10 am »
Ive been on a gta 5 online kick again. Found an active crew willing to do lots of missions to make money. bought a yacht online.

Named it the Salty Spitoon..... To board, you gotta tell me how tough you are.  ;D

1049-2600-8730

karyann

« Reply #11363 on: June 16, 2016, 12:07:11 pm »
Ive been on a gta 5 online kick again. Found an active crew willing to do lots of missions to make money. bought a yacht online.

Named it the Salty Spitoon..... To board, you gotta tell me how tough you are.  ;D

If I accuse people of cheating when I lose do I look salty enough to join?  :P

Oh, you said tough. My bad.  ::)

rayne315

« Reply #11364 on: June 16, 2016, 12:29:45 pm »

I once ate a bowl of nails... Without any milk

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Flashback2012

« Reply #11365 on: June 16, 2016, 12:46:19 pm »

I once ate a bowl of nails... Without any milk

What a weakling...having to use a bowl!  ;)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11366 on: June 16, 2016, 03:06:23 pm »

I beat the grand prix mode in Mario Kart 8... 200cc with motion controls

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11367 on: June 16, 2016, 05:40:53 pm »

I beat the grand prix mode in Mario Kart 8... 200cc with motion controls

sorry to keep you waiting, come on board!

1049-2600-8730

pacpix

« Reply #11368 on: June 16, 2016, 11:14:16 pm »

I stubbed my toe last week while watering my spice garden, and I only cried for twenty minutes.  8)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

soera

« Reply #11369 on: June 16, 2016, 11:19:47 pm »

I have 3 kids ... and a wife.