Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1539004 times)

telly

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #16035 on: December 22, 2021, 09:42:44 am »
I'm definitely not going to be able to finish Persona 5 by the end of this year but I have a couple games that are very close to being finished (Valkyria Chronicles and Owlboy) that I could beat before the year ends. Need to also make my end of year post too.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #16036 on: December 22, 2021, 11:22:58 am »
I haven't started working on it, but my end of year post is gonna be a bit of work to get through with all the games I played this year.

kashell

« Reply #16037 on: December 22, 2021, 11:33:23 am »
I should post what I finished on there.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16038 on: December 25, 2021, 09:44:53 am »
Merry Christmas, everyone!

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16039 on: December 28, 2021, 04:13:15 am »
Enjoy the end of the year, everybody!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #16040 on: December 31, 2021, 01:45:57 pm »
Despite my desire to wait on getting a PS5, my wife really wanted one for Christmas last year and I was lucky enough to track one down for her just in time. The reason I wanted to wait is because I've been burned nearly every time I chose to be an early adopter of a newly released console. I think the only time it ever worked out were with my N64 and Wii. Unfortunately, my instincts to wait a year or two with the PS5 might have been correct.

My wife went to put in a blu-ray movie last night and low and behold the PS5 was unable to read the disc. After trying several times and it continuing not to read I recommended she try a game. Same thing. Then she tried a different game, same thing. It was clear something was wrong with the disc drive or the PS5's software. After running through many different troubleshooting methods up to completely doing a system restore on the PS5 it was clear my disc drive had failed.

However, that's not even the worst part. After doing some research online around replacing the drive, Sony decided to tie the hardware ID of each PS5's disc drive to the chipset of the specific console. In other words, you can't replace the disc drive yourself. Not being able to fix or modify my own electronics pisses me off beyond belief, and actually made me angrier than my disc drive going out in a console that's just over a year old. Oh, did I mentioned the PS5's hardware only has a 1-year warranty...

I am pretty livid right now about this, and unfortunately due to the holiday I can't get a hold of Sony to find out how much they're going to extort from me just to undue a few screws and throw in a new disc drive. This "you can't fix your own hardware" bullshit is why I stopped buying Apple products a while back, and now unfortunately Sony, and Microsoft, are doing it now too. This is so anti-consumer since they have a monopoly now on all service and repair for a product they don't even own. I own it, and I should be able to fix it, modify it, run it over, freeze it, or do whatever the fuck I want with it since I legally own it. I don't have to ask for Sony's permission to sell the PS5, why the hell should I be forced to go through them to repair it?

Sorry, I just had to rant about this. I don't honestly want to support Sony, or at least the PS5 anymore, however doing this pretty much means I'm bared from an entire generation of promising games which I'd really like to play. Unless I choose to forfeit this I don't know what other choice I have than to just take it. 

kashell

« Reply #16041 on: December 31, 2021, 02:19:52 pm »
I had no idea that they were so strict (nicest word I could think of) with there hardware. That's really shitty. I'm hoping they replace it for you when you're able to get ahold of them.

I really don't have much interest in a PlayStation 5, thankfully.

« Reply #16042 on: December 31, 2021, 02:37:16 pm »
Happy New Years Eve Everyone!

« Reply #16043 on: January 01, 2022, 12:18:54 am »
I had no idea that they were so strict (nicest word I could think of) with there hardware. That's really shitty. I'm hoping they replace it for you when you're able to get ahold of them.

I didn't realize it either until last night. Someone in a Facebook group I belong to said they often do good faith repairs out of warranty, however he said his experience with this took place like 4-years ago so I wonder if they still practice this. My hard limit on paying for this repair is $200, which would already be too expensive given the parts and labor to replace the drive. If it ends up being more than that I'm probably going to just sell my PS5 as is for parts and just get a new one when I can.

« Reply #16044 on: January 01, 2022, 04:19:00 pm »

I didn't realize it either until last night. Someone in a Facebook group I belong to said they often do good faith repairs out of warranty, however he said his experience with this took place like 4-years ago so I wonder if they still practice this. My hard limit on paying for this repair is $200, which would already be too expensive given the parts and labor to replace the drive. If it ends up being more than that I'm probably going to just sell my PS5 as is for parts and just get a new one when I can.

Damn man, sorry to hear that. What a crappy way to end the year. I was a bit wary of the new consoles because I've had so many issues with XB1 and PS4 (Moreso XB1), add the fact that I've still never seen either new console....so I just decided to get a new PC (Love it). That REALLY sucks it happened right after your warranty expired.

I feel if I do get a new Xbox on PS5 (Less and less likely) I'll wait for the mid-gen upgrades.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16045 on: January 01, 2022, 09:22:53 pm »
That's terrible for the holidays. I'm sorry, man.

Our TV went out Christmas Eve, so I feel you. But at least new TVs are readily available. That sucks.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16046 on: January 02, 2022, 01:59:29 pm »
I'm just blown away at how expensive Nintendo DS games have become. I kind of casually realized that every other game in my DS collection is going for between 100$ - 250$. I've just got to say, these games are not worth that kind of money. Controversial opinion incoming - I don't think any games are, to collect, or to play. These games are worth what people thought of them back in the 2000s, little to nothing. If they weren't cool then, why are they so cool now? It's a trend, a bandwagon FOMO. Pop in a 349057-in-1 and play those suckers. Nothing would make happier than to see it all depreciate to squat. Please don't pay these prices, it's nuts!

« Reply #16047 on: January 03, 2022, 08:11:33 am »
I'm just blown away at how expensive Nintendo DS games have become. I kind of casually realized that every other game in my DS collection is going for between 100$ - 250$. I've just got to say, these games are not worth that kind of money. Controversial opinion incoming - I don't think any games are, to collect, or to play. These games are worth what people thought of them back in the 2000s, little to nothing. If they weren't cool then, why are they so cool now? It's a trend, a bandwagon FOMO. Pop in a 349057-in-1 and play those suckers. Nothing would make happier than to see it all depreciate to squat. Please don't pay these prices, it's nuts!
Partially it's the fact that so many cases/manuals disappeared between people throwing them out and GS throwing them out.  You'll notice for a lot of games the loose price is cheap compared to the complete price.

sworddude

« Reply #16048 on: January 03, 2022, 03:28:44 pm »
Partially it's the fact that so many cases/manuals disappeared between people throwing them out and GS throwing them out.  You'll notice for a lot of games the loose price is cheap compared to the complete price.

if where talking the good games ds carts can still be 50 or 100+ $ though and that ain't just pokemon can actually be rather close to cib value. Ds has allot of pretty interesting niche items with low sales numbers

Still peanuts compared to most retro I'd say.

also I don't know what ds games where talking but allot of those pricy ds titles where usually hard to get and pricy quite some years ago aswell
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 06:08:52 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #16049 on: January 04, 2022, 08:48:49 am »
One example that I have in my collection is Chrono Trigger. Was about $40 CIB a few years back (and $20 when I bought it even earlier), and now it's up to $100.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery