Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1543810 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5715 on: January 26, 2015, 01:58:47 pm »
Nah, I'm not taking it personal. I never cared for those terms so I don't use them.

desocietas

« Reply #5716 on: January 26, 2015, 02:19:09 pm »
So if the Ultima series was the first to introduce JRPG elements such as an overworld map with dungeons and towns, random-encounters, a party of characters to control, turn-based fighting, menu-based commands, etc.; then why do we call them JRPGs? Shouldn't we be calling them BRPGs or ERPG for British or English RPGs?

It's an interesting question, though.  I guess we call most of those games nowadays JRPGs because they originate from Japan.  If it's a Western-produced RPG (wha? where? who?), we do tend to say it's JRPG-style, etc., I think, because folks are already familiar with what a lot of Japanese RPGs are like. It seems like Japan really embraced the turn-based RPG style while other countries embraced making action-RPGs.

I didn't grow up playing Ultima and the beginning wave of RPGs.  I started off playing JRPGs on the Playstation and then eventually found out about tabletop RPGs and realized that the roots go deeper than videogames, ha.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

argyle

« Reply #5717 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:46 pm »
What dark said, and:

I just call them RPGs. Always have and always will.

Just a way to differentiate the JRPG style of gameplay from say Diablo or Elder Scrolls. Like a run-n-gun vs. just "action game".

RPG game play is RPG game play. Just like action game play is action game play. I just play the games.

You guys are taking this too personal. It's just terminology so you can better describe the genre of game. There's is no denying there's distinct, defining differences between say Final Fantasy and Baldur's Gate; and JRPG vs. action-RPG just better defines those differences instead of explaining them each time.

It's like metal music. There is metal, which is a blanket term to include all metal music. And then there's specific types of metal like Black Metal, Thrash Metal, Glam Metal, etc.

Yeah, I'm with Burning here. Of course it's not worth arguing what game fits what category, but that doesn't mean you can't use descriptors to let people better understand what kind of game it is.

Otherwise, we could just say they're all "video games" and never distinguish further than that. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5718 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:51 pm »
What dark said, and:

Just a way to differentiate the JRPG style of gameplay from say Diablo or Elder Scrolls. Like a run-n-gun vs. just "action game".

RPG game play is RPG game play. Just like action game play is action game play. I just play the games.

You guys are taking this too personal. ::) It's just terminology so you can better describe the genre of game. There's is no denying there's distinct, defining differences between say Final Fantasy and Baldur's Gate; and JRPG vs. action-RPG just better defines those differences instead of explaining them each time.

It's like metal music. There is metal, which is a blanket term to include all metal music. And then there's specific types of metal like Black Metal, Thrash Metal, Glam Metal, etc.

Seriously?

I don't think that either one of us was taking it personally:)

It was an inside thing, between me n' kash - cuz we met on an rpg board where this came up all the time, got dissected to hell & back, and still, nothing was ever agreed upon :P

I should have done a "TL;DR" at the end of my post...

I'll add it now:

TL;DR = Life's too short! ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5719 on: January 26, 2015, 02:29:43 pm »
What dark said, and:

You guys are taking this too personal. It's just terminology so you can better describe the genre of game. There's is no denying there's distinct, defining differences between say Final Fantasy and Baldur's Gate; and JRPG vs. action-RPG just better defines those differences instead of explaining them each time.

Yeah, I'm with Burning here. Of course it's not worth arguing what game fits what category, but that doesn't mean you can't use descriptors to let people better understand what kind of game it is.

Otherwise, we could just say they're all "video games" and never distinguish further than that. :P

True.

BUT, there's (*another*) fine line between categorizing & classifying some like & similar things together

-and-

sub-dividing & sub-categorizing everything way too much (like G*Faqs does)...until - instead of telling you more about something - it's overdone to the point where, instead of clarifying, as they're intended too...there's so many of them + so much overlap + so little differences between one & the other that...it has the opposite effect of causing more confusion; ya know?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #5720 on: January 26, 2015, 03:06:12 pm »
What dark said, and:

True.

BUT, there's (*another*) fine line between categorizing & classifying some like & similar things together

-and-

sub-dividing & sub-categorizing everything way too much (like G*Faqs does)...until - instead of telling you more about something - it's overdone to the point where, instead of clarifying, as they're intended too...there's so many of them + so much overlap + so little differences between one & the other that...it has the opposite effect of causing more confusion; ya know?

Well sure, anything can be overdone. Kinda like when people try to break down what constitutes an "RPG" at all - those conversations go downhill fast, and nothing is ever decided. But take a step back from that overanalyzing, and if someone tells me they like "RPGs" I have a general idea of what they're into. If they say they like "JRPGs" that gives me a little better view, and if they say "I love Final Fantasy games" then I get exactly what they mean. ;) :P
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

karyann

« Reply #5721 on: January 26, 2015, 08:30:38 pm »

Same, just finished up finals week which is always fun ha.  :o

How did it go? You have finals in January? That's new to me!  :o

pacpix

« Reply #5722 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:56 pm »

Same, just finished up finals week which is always fun ha.  :o

How did it go? You have finals in January? That's new to me!  :o
Well I am still in highschool, so my schedule is probably different. They went pretty well! Despite failing every test except last week's in AP Calculus this year through constant retesting and spending extra time with the teacher I pulled off an 84 for semester. This last semester was not too bad, but for my final semester I have 3 AP tests to go along with normal finals as well as my senior research project and presentation. That should be fun ha
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5723 on: January 27, 2015, 12:56:34 am »
Wow...  High school student has AP classes and staff responsibilities here in VGCollect.   :o

Please check out the games I have for sale.

abe

« Reply #5724 on: January 27, 2015, 10:08:18 am »
So... I'm on the east coast of Canada and we're just getting that nasty snowstorm today. Most of the city has been shut down, which includes the university I attend. Yay for more time for games! ;D Hopefully we won't lose our power, but I've charged up all of my thingamajigs in case.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

bobster

« Reply #5725 on: January 27, 2015, 10:20:18 am »
So... I'm on the east coast of Canada and we're just getting that nasty snowstorm today. Most of the city has been shut down, which includes the university I attend. Yay for more time for games! ;D Hopefully we won't lose our power, but I've charged up all of my thingamajigs in case.
I'm on the eastern part of Pennsylvania and I was really hoping we'd get hit by that storm. Unfortunately, we're only on the edge so we've only gotten 3 inches in the last two days :(. Boo for going into work!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5726 on: January 27, 2015, 10:40:28 am »
Got around 5" here in Central Jersey so far. I hear it's a lot worse by the coast.

kashell

« Reply #5727 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:47 am »
It's about 40 degrees in Nashville and no snow. So...yay?

argyle

« Reply #5728 on: January 27, 2015, 10:53:11 am »
It's about 40 degrees in Nashville and no snow. So...yay?

Yep, I keep hoping we get one of those rare "OMG it's snowing in the South! Grab all the milk & bread you can carry then stay home until the crisis is over!" 1" "snowstorms", but it's not looking likely this year. :(

amauriel

« Reply #5729 on: January 27, 2015, 11:01:36 am »
Yeah, Columbus, Ohio didn't get nearly enough of the snow. We got enough to close schools and make my commute triple in time yesterday morning, but not enough to make work think we needed a day off.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."