Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1542975 times)

soera

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #825 on: June 27, 2013, 10:16:22 am »
I hate Gamestop myself. A lot of it comes from the fact that they actually destroyed EB and Funcoland which were awesome retro game stores. Gamestop doesnt do any sort of retro at all which is what a lot of "game" is. When I walk up to a "game" store, I expect to see game stuff not signs about buying Ipads and cell phones. The employees can also either make or break the store for me as well. OKC actually has a lot of Gamestop stores. The one closest to my house, the employees could not give a damn what you wanted or why you were there, they just want to go home. I will actually drive out of my way to go to a store about 15 miles away cause of the employees. Last Saturday was a perfect example. It was supposed to be a Skylander celebration. From 10-2 was supposed to be new figures, free items, prizes and what not. Well, we went to the store closest to the house assuming it would actually be the same at all the stores. Hell no! They open and all the new figures are behind the counter out of sight (we had to ask for it), they didnt want to give anything away, no contests or nothing. They went so far as to tell us they werent going to do any of that. Assholes. I went to the other store I go to and the girl there was cool. She couldnt believe what the other store was doing. She went out of her way to hook me up with everything the other store should have.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #826 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:56 am »
I hate Gamestop myself. A lot of it comes from the fact that they actually destroyed EB and Funcoland which were awesome retro game stores. (1).  Gamestop doesnt do any sort of retro at all which is what a lot of "game" is. When I walk up to a "game" store, I expect to see game stuff not signs about buying Ipads and cell phones. (2).  The employees can also either make or break the store for me as well. OKC actually has a lot of Gamestop stores. The one closest to my house, the employees could not give a damn what you wanted or why you were there, they just want to go home. I will actually drive out of my way to go to a store about 15 miles away cause of the employees. Last Saturday was a perfect example. It was supposed to be a Skylander celebration. From 10-2 was supposed to be new figures, free items, prizes and what not. Well, we went to the store closest to the house assuming it would actually be the same at all the stores. Hell no! They open and all the new figures are behind the counter out of sight (we had to ask for it), they didnt want to give anything away, no contests or nothing. They went so far as to tell us they werent going to do any of that. Assholes. I went to the other store I go to and the girl there was cool. She couldnt believe what the other store was doing. She went out of her way to hook me up with everything the other store should have.

(1).  *Supposedly* (from what a few employees have told me & from some things that I've read on-line); their "Gamestop Power-up" (or is it "Power +")(?) has been (for ~a year, now)...in the process of implementing a new "RETRO" part/section to their list of 'Reward' choices (As in -theoretically-) they'll have an inventory & catalog of games from the 5th, 6th, and 7th generations included as rewards...

...However, with that said, from other things that the same employees have told me...the 'cost' in "reward points" (for even the most common & inexpensive of these games) is just going to be...*Outrageous* - even by GS' standards :(

(2).  I absolutely agree with you 100% about the *right* employees making the store - while the *wrong* employees just as quickly & thoroughly break a store  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #827 on: June 27, 2013, 11:31:07 am »
I don't "hate" GameStop. I check there occasionally for used games I'm looking for. But I rarely preorder, because they annoy me with all the pushing of preorders and mag subs. Lol
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #828 on: June 27, 2013, 12:31:42 pm »
The only reason I preorder is bonuses
I weigh the preorder bonus vs sales tax.  If I'd pay $5 for the bonus, I go GameStop.  If not it's Amazon.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #829 on: June 27, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »
I hate Gamestop myself. A lot of it comes from the fact that they actually destroyed EB and Funcoland which were awesome retro game stores. (1).  Gamestop doesnt do any sort of retro at all which is what a lot of "game" is. When I walk up to a "game" store, I expect to see game stuff not signs about buying Ipads and cell phones. (2).  The employees can also either make or break the store for me as well. OKC actually has a lot of Gamestop stores. The one closest to my house, the employees could not give a damn what you wanted or why you were there, they just want to go home. I will actually drive out of my way to go to a store about 15 miles away cause of the employees. Last Saturday was a perfect example. It was supposed to be a Skylander celebration. From 10-2 was supposed to be new figures, free items, prizes and what not. Well, we went to the store closest to the house assuming it would actually be the same at all the stores. Hell no! They open and all the new figures are behind the counter out of sight (we had to ask for it), they didnt want to give anything away, no contests or nothing. They went so far as to tell us they werent going to do any of that. Assholes. I went to the other store I go to and the girl there was cool. She couldnt believe what the other store was doing. She went out of her way to hook me up with everything the other store should have.

(1).  *Supposedly* (from what a few employees have told me & from some things that I've read on-line); their "Gamestop Power-up" (or is it "Power +")(?) has been (for ~a year, now)...in the process of implementing a new "RETRO" part/section to their list of 'Reward' choices (As in -theoretically-) they'll have an inventory & catalog of games from the 5th, 6th, and 7th generations included as rewards...

...However, with that said, from other things that the same employees have told me...the 'cost' in "reward points" (for even the most common & inexpensive of these games) is just going to be...*Outrageous* - even by GS' standards :(

(2).  I absolutely agree with you 100% about the *right* employees making the store - while the *wrong* employees just as quickly & thoroughly break a store  :o

The retro section of the Rewards program already came and went like a year back. They had what I'd guess is some leftover stock from their Funcoland days. IIRC, there was Mortal Kombat on SNES, Dragon Warrior on NES, and a few others. And you had to have an insane amount of points to get them, like 25,000.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #830 on: June 27, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605566

Just wondering if anyone else here had already seen and/or heard about this yet...

(Index, the company that owns ATLUS, is apparently not only being potentially investigated for some shady/below-board actions & practices -but- they're also filing for bankruptcy)  :'(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

sin2beta

« Reply #831 on: June 27, 2013, 07:17:25 pm »
The only thing I knew about it was from HappyConsoleGamer:

Sad times. Might want to go to amazon and pick up those atlus games...
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

tpugmire

« Reply #832 on: June 28, 2013, 04:05:41 pm »
I'm not looking forward to Friday.

It's here, like it or not.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #833 on: June 28, 2013, 05:42:33 pm »

Happy B-day to us!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #834 on: June 28, 2013, 06:31:33 pm »

Happy B-day to us!

Yay!  Do we get presents?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

foxhack

« Reply #835 on: June 28, 2013, 06:57:11 pm »

Happy B-day to us!

Yay!  Do we get presents?
I didn't get anything.

Well, mom's making some sopes for my birthday. I guess that counts.

tpugmire

« Reply #836 on: June 28, 2013, 07:07:57 pm »
I forgot you had a birthday coming up. Mine is on Tuesday.

soera

« Reply #837 on: June 28, 2013, 07:15:38 pm »
Happy birthday to the both of ya. Mine isnt for another 2 months.

tpugmire

« Reply #838 on: June 28, 2013, 07:19:12 pm »
Thank you sir. And happy birthday to Foxhack. 33 I believe?

soera

« Reply #839 on: June 28, 2013, 07:20:40 pm »
I see what it takes to be an admin now ... a birthday right around the same time as Scott's!