Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1656808 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #8880 on: December 16, 2015, 10:23:46 am »
Any Bar Rescue fans here? I was at Agave Junction Cantina last night, they had really good tacos and chips and salsa.  8)
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #8881 on: December 16, 2015, 11:37:36 am »
Happy birthday, koemo! Enjoy your last year of being a teenager.

Hey, I watched it too! It was a lot of fun watching you guys open y'all's presents! I'll definitely videotape myself opening my presents next year, even though I'm not the most handsome guy on here, lol.

And I actually do suffer from insomnia, lol, but that wasn't my reason for watching.

Thanks for watching! It's a work in progress.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8882 on: December 16, 2015, 11:51:58 am »
Most of you folks know that I love Contra.  It's my favorite game and series.  You may also know that I'm a big fan of arcade cabinets. 
Well, I've wanted a Contra arcade cabinet for a long time.   Last night that dream...

WAS DROPPED!

I was playing around in MAME last night and played the first few levels of the arcade version of Contra.  Is it possible that an NES game could be better than the arcade?  It may just be my nostalgia talking, but I think the NES version is better.  The levels being better designed is the biggest factor for that. 

This is just my 2 cents.  It may just taken some getting used to. 

P.S. I think I'm going to give it more of a go.  It can't be that bad.  It is Contra after all   ;D

kashell

« Reply #8883 on: December 16, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »
Some games just feel more comfortable on a console than a cabinet. I can't speak for Contra since I only played it on the NES, but I have a really hard time playing fighting games on a cabinet instead of on a console. That's probably because I am used to a controller and not a joystick, but still, same idea.

desocietas

« Reply #8884 on: December 16, 2015, 01:15:52 pm »
Its my birthday, im already 19!?

Happy birthday, koemo1! Enjoy the rest of the teen years, but the 20s are probably even better! Cherish the time, and have fun!

No one will ever top that first year.

Remember Ms Deso, you'll always be my first.  ;)

Hahah, you and Kashell are too sweet.  I actually had a lot of fun shopping for those Wii games - it was when there was a good B2G1 free sale, I think, and I really liked hitting up all the local shops to track down the best copies. I don't have a Wii nor did I know anything about Wii games, so I felt like I learned a lot about Wii games that year!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #8885 on: December 16, 2015, 01:42:46 pm »
Most of you folks know that I love Contra.  It's my favorite game and series.  You may also know that I'm a big fan of arcade cabinets. 
Well, I've wanted a Contra arcade cabinet for a long time.   Last night that dream...

WAS DROPPED!

I was playing around in MAME last night and played the first few levels of the arcade version of Contra.  Is it possible that an NES game could be better than the arcade?  It may just be my nostalgia talking, but I think the NES version is better.  The levels being better designed is the biggest factor for that. 

P.S. I think I'm going to give it more of a go.  It can't be that bad.  It is Contra after all   ;D
The NES version of Contra is defenitely better than the arcade, since I think the level design and controls are improved over the arcade version, and the color palette looks more visually appealing.  The home version being better than the arcade version seems to be somewhat common with some other Konami games around that time like Super Contra, Salamander,  Gradius III, just to name a few examples. There's defenitely more out there.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8886 on: December 16, 2015, 03:37:49 pm »
Happy birthday, koemo! Enjoy your last year of being a teenager.
Thanks Kash I will ;)
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8887 on: December 16, 2015, 11:57:35 pm »
Does anyone wish their S/o shared in the hobby of playing games? Heard the guest on the giantbombcast this week and just realized I never really met any girls that I know that really like games. It's just kind of a weird bummer my current girlfriend isn't into games at all. Just wanted to ask  ;D

desocietas

« Reply #8888 on: December 17, 2015, 12:12:02 am »
Does anyone wish their S/o shared in the hobby of playing games? Heard the guest on the giantbombcast this week and just realized I never really met any girls that I know that really like games. It's just kind of a weird bummer my current girlfriend isn't into games at all. Just wanted to ask  ;D

Yup, took me a while to find a partner who loved gaming as much as I do (and didn't treat me weird for the games I liked). If anything, I found him through Twitch, which is gaming-focused for the most part.

Others I dated would maybe be interested in a game here or there, but it wasn't quite the same to not be able to relate to them how excited you were about a particular game. Like any hobby, really :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8889 on: December 17, 2015, 12:16:19 am »

WAS DROPPED!

The NES version of Contra is defenitely better than the arcade, since I think the level design and controls are improved over the arcade version, and the color palette looks more visually appealing.  The home version being better than the arcade version seems to be somewhat common with some other Konami games around that time like Super Contra, Salamander,  Gradius III, just to name a few examples. There's defenitely more out there.

Oh yeah the NES version is better. I never realized this either, until I downloaded the arcade version off of XBox Live Arcade, thinking I was getting the NES version. It's still fun, though.

maximo310

« Reply #8890 on: December 17, 2015, 12:42:32 am »

WAS DROPPED!

Oh yeah the NES version is better. I never realized this either, until I downloaded the arcade version off of XBox Live Arcade, thinking I was getting the NES version. It's still fun, though.
Oh yeah, I think I've seen that Xbox Live version on a compliation called Konami Classics Vol 2. Super Contra is on Konami Classics Vol.1, which is the Xbox Live Arcade version of that game, taken from the original arcade version. It was defenitely interesting to see the differences between those arcade versions and the NES ports, especially for Super C.

kashell

« Reply #8891 on: December 17, 2015, 09:25:05 am »
Oh. My. Gods. You gaiz. I got this in the mail yesterday as a Christmas gift from my partner's mother. I intend to wear it as much as possible.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ipqj/?pfm=Search&t=mega%20man%20hoodie

Nah, I'm happy with the way things are. He'll sometimes watch me play something and get confused as hell, though. I was playing Atelier Escha a while ago and he was on his iPad and glanced at the screen from time to time. He'd ask things like, "How do you read that so fast?" or "How did that little girl take down that dragon with just a book?" It was cute. Also, he grew up building houses so he'll help me design shelves, storage units and/or containers for my goods.

My last ex was a huge gamer and collector.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8892 on: December 17, 2015, 12:28:24 pm »
I have a question for you guys:

In my new house, my game room is out in the garage. It's winter now and it's getting pretty cold, but it is dry out there. It's not freezing, though, I'd say it gets down to the 40s and 50s Fahrenheit. Once in a while into the late 30s. (I have a space heater for when I'm actually out there, so I'm okay, just worried about the consoles when I'm not in there.)

Do you think that my consoles and games will be okay out there? So far, it hasn't been a problem.

« Reply #8893 on: December 17, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »

In my new house, my game room is out in the garage. It's winter now and it's getting pretty cold, but it is dry out there. It's not freezing, though, I'd say it gets down to the 40s and 50s Fahrenheit. Once in a while into the late 30s. (I have a space heater for when I'm actually out there, so I'm okay, just worried about the consoles when I'm not in there.)

Do you think that my consoles and games will be okay out there? So far, it hasn't been a problem.
I've actually always found it confusing when people renovate their garage into extra living space, but then they don't properly ventilate and insulate the new living space.

My in-laws did it and it is connected to the central air-conditioning and heating, properly insulated on all sides.  Honestly, you can barely tell it used to be a garage.

On a more relevant note, I'm in a heat laden area, so I've never had experience with any tech having issues with cold weather, but I know hot weather doesn't do too much damage.  Labels might start to lose their grip, if it gets too hot things might melt, but everything worked in the situations I've seen... other than one time I saw a melted psx game.

karyann

« Reply #8894 on: December 17, 2015, 12:53:15 pm »
Oh. My. Gods. You gaiz. I got this in the mail yesterday as a Christmas gift from my partner's mother. I intend to wear it as much as possible.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ipqj/?pfm=Search&t=mega%20man%20hoodie

Nah, I'm happy with the way things are. He'll sometimes watch me play something and get confused as hell, though. I was playing Atelier Escha a while ago and he was on his iPad and glanced at the screen from time to time. He'd ask things like, "How do you read that so fast?" or "How did that little girl take down that dragon with just a book?" It was cute. Also, he grew up building houses so he'll help me design shelves, storage units and/or containers for my goods.

My last ex was a huge gamer and collector.

Oh wow, that hoodie is so cool!  :)

My boyfriend is a gamer, but a PC one, while I'm definitely a console person. We do play some games together from time to time, but I sometimes wish it was more often. I'd settle for him watching me play, but he often finds that boring, unfortunately  :P
Nonetheless, he's also very proficient in handiwork, and I definitely enjoy when he helps me with/makes me things. Having different hobbies means I can discover a ton more things that I would have otherwise, so I'm glad we're not 100% the same :)

My ex was a collector as well (he actually got me into collecting) and it was fun to game together, but our hobbies were way too similar and it kinda became boring.

Cold air has a tendency to make water in the air condensate and stick to electronics. If you don't play the systems while they're cold it's fine because the water will evaporate again, but if you play while the systems are cold you might run into problems later (short circuits and the like). I don't have further details, but I do know that using cold electronics can be bad for them.